ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Stanley water bottle craze

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
$40 for a water bottle. Moms racing through Target to get new releases. HS and middle school girls needing to have one to be cool. I hope aliens arent watching us. Also, perhaps they should just use the "Stanley metric" to judge the economy. When people are shelling out $40 a water bottle and spending $100 on resale markets, the economy must be doing well. This whole thing is weird AF

$40 for a water bottle. Moms racing through Target to get new releases. HS and middle school girls needing to have one to be cool. I hope aliens arent watching us. Also, perhaps they should just use the "Stanley metric" to judge the economy. When people are shelling out $40 a water bottle and spending $100 on resale markets, the economy must be doing well. This whole thing is weird AF
No different than every other fad for the last forever years.

Just heard of this about a week ago. My 8 year old great niece has 2 of them. I'm old and I sure don't understand it. But there's always been fads and I guess that's not about change. I will say that's not my idea of a Stanly Cup.

Yeah, why can’t it be something useful like pogs or trapper keepers to draw those S symbols inside.

I dont know what pogs are. I had a trapper keeper because it was useful. It was basically a new invention. Water bottles have been around for hundreds of years and the Stanley one has been around for decades. It has become a viral obsession just recently. Its in a class by itself. I cant remember anything else that WASN'T a new invention like a pager or a fanny pack that became something that all kids had to have.

So it’s a better thing to spend your money on that a polo shirt with a specific logo since you can use a water bottle every day.

Im saying that fashion crazes have been around forever. Having a water bottle as a fashion item, in a sense, is uncharteted territory.

Im saying that fashion crazes have been around forever. Having a water bottle as a fashion item, in a sense, is uncharteted territory.
No? Like it’s no different from any other accessory like a watch, sunglasses, handbag, etc.

Anyone here remember Clackers? Dumbest idea ever.
Spinners would like a word

giphy.gif

A water bottle isnt an accessory. Thats kinda the point. You shouldn't be needing a water bottle to be cool. Its a water bottle
Kids are into staying hydrated nowadays, I don't know what to tell you and most carry water bottles. This isn't even the first time that water bottles have been in vogue. Just a few years ago the Nalgene branded bottles were all the craze.

I'm mostly baffled that someone was around and aware of trapper keepers but not pogs as they pretty much overlapped. Also, Trapper Keeper didn't invent a 3-ring binder...it wasn't some new invention. They slapped some velcro and decals on it and marketed it for children.

Reactions: Ski11585
A good water bottle is worth paying for.

I have a 40 oz HydroFlask with a chug cap. Cost around $40. Love it. I take it everywhere I go. Well worth the price. And it basically paid for itself over several months because I don't drink bottled water any longer. I used to go through around a chase and a half of water a week. So in 3 months I'd spend around $50.

So, no, $40 isn't an unwise investment in a bottle if you use it.

A good water bottle is worth paying for.

I have a 40 oz HydroFlask with a chug cap. Cost around $40. Love it. I take it everywhere I go. Well worth the price. And it basically paid for itself over several months because I don't drink bottled water any longer. I used to go through around a chase and a half of water a week. So in 3 months I'd spend around $50.

So, no, $40 isn't an unwise investment in a bottle if you use it.
Exactly. Wife and I have 3 Hydroflasks each. Worth every Penny and more

Yeti coffee mugs. Need my coffee 200* or it’s no good to me.

Berkey water filter systems also

Last edited:
If only there were "influencers" back in the day.

Kids are into staying hydrated nowadays, I don't know what to tell you and most carry water bottles. This isn't even the first time that water bottles have been in vogue. Just a few years ago the Nalgene branded bottles were all the craze.

They are carrying water bottles because its cool. Period. Schools come equipped with water fountains and you even get a lunch where you can drink something. Also, I never heard of Nalgene so while it may have been somewhat popular, this Stanley thing is a national obsession. The company went from making $90 million in 2020 to $750 million in 2023 mostly due to water bottle sales.

They are carrying water bottles because its cool. Period. Schools come equipped with water fountains and you even get a lunch where you can drink something.
Actually, a lot of schools replaced the water fountains with water bottle refilling stations because the water fountains were gross and never worked right.

You really don't know much, do you?

For every water bottle craze, the ladies in the family pass along last water bottle craze to me. I now have a collection of bottles that the ladies all had to have. I have the old fad bottle in my car, in my office, next to the bed, and stored in pantry. What else do you do with 48 old fad water bottles? I do enjoy the sound of these Stanley metal bottles sliding across the table, clanging against another bottle, falling and rolling on the ground, and vibrating in the car cup holder because the extra quarters I had are underneath it.

Reactions: ASDannels
$4,200 on ebay.

What a rip-off. This one is only $3000. Water bottles becoming the new luxury accessories dampens my hope for humanity. But my God what a country we live in where people can afford stupid shit like this.

My daughter got one for Christmas and loves it

I have a Yeti bottle I use as my bike bottle and it’s great. Put ice in and 48 hours later the drink is still cold.

You thinking your anecdotal story from inside your middle class societal bubble somehow is a leading economic indicator is amusing.

Reactions: FireballZ
You thinking your anecdotal story from inside your middle class societal bubble somehow is a leading economic indicator is amusing.
If you pay attention, SMF often conjures up stories and antidotes about his fake sports attendance or fake family matters to make his little political points from his one bedroom apartment in a basement someplace.

If you pay attention, SMF often conjures up stories and antidotes about his fake sports attendance or fake family matters to make his little political points from his one bedroom apartment in a basement someplace.

Yes, I lie about going to games. Since you were at the Pitt basketball game, can you tell me something about the Pitt employee honored at mid-court at the Syracuse game Tuesday?

Exactly. Wife and I have 3 Hydroflasks each. Worth every Penny and more

Yeti coffee mugs. Need my coffee 200* or it’s no good to me.

Berkey water filter systems also
I love my yeti coffee travel mug. It’s the best.
Because they lose them. Ever see those lost and founds? Hundreds of water bottles. My kids must have lost 20 water bottles combined.
Again. How is this different than sunglasses (they get lost) or shoes or a shirt (they wear out)?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT