ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Toby Keith to the portal

razzaba

Scholarship
Nov 12, 2011
passed away at 62 years old after a fight with cancer.

I remember being a freshman just after the Pete opened and thinking it was odd that a “city school” would play a “country song” in How Do You Like Me Now? as the victory song at basketball games, but it eventually grew on me and my group of friends.

RIP.

I remember being a freshman just after the Pete opened and thinking it was odd that a “city school” would play a “country song” in How Do You Like Me Now? as the victory song at basketball games, but it eventually grew on me and my group of friends.

RIP.
I for one loved hearing that song play as we walked out of the Pete with another Big East take down of Georgetown, UCONN, Syracuse, St. John’s or any other teams of evil.

RIP.

Are we making big enough strides vs cancer? I feel like people in the year 2200 (when there is a cure) are going to look at us like how we view people during the plague like "how can they go through life knowing they can die from cancer at seemingly any moment."

Are we making big enough strides vs cancer? I feel like people in the year 2200 (when there is a cure) are going to look at us like how we view people during the plague like "how can they go through life knowing they can die from cancer at seemingly any moment."

If you look at the average age of life expectancy vs the average age in which people die of cancer, it’s not that far off. A great many people die of cancer because they have reached the point where they are going to die of something.

If anything it’s probably the aging process itself that people in 2200 will look back on and wonder why we accepted it so matter of factly.

RIP.
Yeah it was odd. But I have grown to like things that are unique and we can call our own. Every arena in the country plays seven nation army during games and 1000’s around the world play sweet Caroline. My favorite sports team plays One Step Beyond by Madness after every win. I don’t think it’s a particularly good song but it’s one that is part of the team and stadium experience that others aren’t doing. I’d like for the Pete and the Zoo to start a tradition that no one else does. A little creativity.

I for one loved hearing that song play as we walked out of the Pete with another Big East take down of Georgetown, UCONN, Syracuse, St. John’s or any other teams of evil.
Don’t get me wrong. I began to love it as well - just maybe not at first!

But I suppose when you start to associate a song with winning, it’s not that hard to love it.

I have a good friend who is going through prostate cancer treatment and two years ago his wife died of brain cancer. When they told him that his wife had cancer, the doctors clarified that this was a form they had never seen before and that there are like 9,000 different types of cancer. So, cancer is not a single entity and frankly not curable.

Additionally he had to sign a waiver for his treatment that told him that the treatment has been shown to work on his cancer but that he will get some other form of cancer from the treatment at some point. Not likely. Will get.

Reactions: Saboteur II
If you look at the average age of life expectancy vs the average age in which people die of cancer, it’s not that far off. A great many people die of cancer because they have reached the point where they are going to die of something.

If anything it’s probably the aging process itself that people in 2200 will look back on and wonder why we accepted it so matter of factly.
Cash is king, do you know many people who have died from cancer ? I do and several were young and healthy before being hit with cancer. There are many types of cancers. there is cancer, and there is CANCER.

It still blows my mind how at this stage, we are still losing even the most wealthy folks to cancer. It is indiscriminate I know we have made alot of advances but when you see people with all of the resources, hell I know an oncologist who died of cancer last year. It truly is frightening and sobering.

I wonder if Asian countries have the same cancer rates as we do??

Reactions: Saboteur II
Cash is king, do you know many people who have died from cancer ? I do and several were young and healthy before being hit with cancer. There are many types of cancers. there is cancer, and there is CANCER.

I don’t know many people in general

It still blows my mind how at this stage, we are still losing even the most wealthy folks to cancer. It is indiscriminate I know we have made alot of advances but when you see people with all of the resources, hell I know an oncologist who died of cancer last year. It truly is frightening and sobering.

Cancer types are regional wrt the world. Colon cancer high in US. Stomach cancer more prevalent in Asia.
Cervical, vulvar, penile and some throat cancers mainly HPV virus related.
Different cell-type cancers behave very differently (squamous vs adeno vs sarcoma). All very different so treatment varies.

There is a company called Legacy Life that charges millionaires $50K per year for numerous screenings throughout the year, the stuff that your insurance company isnt going to pay for unless a doctor prescribes it. If $50k/year was nothing for me, I'd absolutely sign up for that.

I dont know about that. Every week, I personally hear of some young kid or some kid's parents in their 30s or 40s getting cancer. I know that's anecdotal but its pretty demoralizing to hear about all these young healthy people getting cancer.

Reactions: mo cheeks
I was just quoting Toby Keith lyrics at hockey last night, as we only had 1 sub and the 13 and 17 year olds were just smoking me while I really needed some oxygen. "I ain't as good as I once was".

RIP Toby Keith.

Toby Keith

There is a company called Legacy Life that charges millionaires $50K per year for numerous screenings throughout the year, the stuff that your insurance company isnt going to pay for unless a doctor prescribes it. If $50k/year was nothing for me, I'd absolutely sign up for that.

Yeah, that's probably a prudent thing to do. Though I say this as someone who hasn't had any type of checkup in a solid 25 years, so I think some are more inclined to care about that stuff than others.

Of course Cryonics is another option, if you're not into annual fees. $200,000 for the full body; $80,000 for just the brain.

Early detection doesn't matter much for the most aggressive or insidious cancers. Cancer stages use numbers, but they are categories, not continuous variables. For example, an aggressive ovarian cancer. It doesn't go from stage 1 to stage 2 to stage 3 to stage 4. The aggressive biology of some of these tumours means they may not exist at a stage 1, and not be detectable until they are already widely disseminated-at least microscopically.
I think the answer to diagnosis will ultimately be detecting tiny fragments of tumour DNA in the urine, stool, saliva and blood. This is already available for some cancer types (Cx Bladder is one such product). Fetal DNA fragments are now tested in maternal blood for detecting genetic disorders, so using this type of technology in the future to detect cancers is likely not far off (if the cancer types have a particular genetic signature that can be identified as different from normal cells).
Cancer detecting dogs are actually a thing, too.

Early detection doesn't matter much for the most aggressive or insidious cancers. Cancer stages use numbers, but they are categories, not continuous variables. For example, an aggressive ovarian cancer. It doesn't go from stage 1 to stage 2 to stage 3 to stage 4. The aggressive biology of some of these tumours means they may not exist at a stage 1, and not be detectable until they are already widely disseminated-at least microscopically.
I think the answer to diagnosis will ultimately be detecting tiny fragments of tumour DNA in the urine, stool, saliva and blood. This is already available for some cancer types (Cx Bladder is one such product). Fetal DNA fragments are now tested in maternal blood for detecting genetic disorders, so using this type of technology in the future to detect cancers is likely not far off (if the cancer types have a particular genetic signature that can be identified as different from normal cells).
Cancer detecting dogs are actually a thing, too.

I'm not sure of everything Legacy Life does but there are certain types of cancers and certain types of diseases that can be cured easier if detected early.

I dont know about that. Every week, I personally hear of some young kid or some kid's parents in their 30s or 40s getting cancer. I know that's anecdotal but its pretty demoralizing to hear about all these young healthy people getting cancer.

The highest rate of cancer death is people 90+ years old.

About half of all cancer patients are 70+ years old.

Almost 90% are 50+ years old.

Curing cancer would have some impact on life expectancy. But not that the level that would justify dumping a ton of money into a cure. If you get cancer, statistically speaking, you weren’t going to live much longer anyway.

Curing cancer would have some impact on life expectancy. But not that the level that would justify dumping a ton of money into a cure. If you get cancer, statistically speaking, you weren’t going to live much longer anyway.
Everyone dies of something eventually .
Depending on type - treatments have dramatically improved
So has detection

You have no idea what you are talking about. I have cancer, recently diagnosed. I am in my early 60's. I am in great shape, and fighting my life threatening cancer. I could have 20 + years left, maybe 30. I might get to know my grand kids, I might help cure cancer . there is a ton of money going into curing cancer. stop it with the "they are over 50+, so not worth saving". Have you heard of St Judes ? st Judes treats children with cancer, so they are not worth saving, based on your statistical analysis ?

You have no idea what you are talking about. I have cancer, recently diagnosed. I am in my early 60's. I am in great shape, and fighting my life threatening cancer. I could have 20 + years left, maybe 30. I might get to know my grand kids, I might help cure cancer . there is a ton of money going into curing cancer. stop it with the "they are over 50+, so not worth saving". Have you heard of St Judes ? st Judes treats children with cancer, so they are not worth saving, based on your statistical analysis ?
Wish you the best , Mo
Keep us updated
Good thoughts for you and your family

Hang in there mo! 🙏🏻

How are you fighting it?

Yeah, that was a stupid comment. My wife had breast cancer in 2022. She had it removed and underwent chemo. She seems clear now but will be watched closely for a couple more years. She likely has 20+ years of quality life left.

Prayers for your recovery.

I think it is just not the disease, but the treatment itself in many cases was like a death sentence itself. Now I know we have made major strides and they can be much more precise in treating cancers, but it is still a rough going.

Mo, God bless you man and good luck in your battle. honestly wishing you the absolute best and great health going forward.

I think it is just not the disease, but the treatment itself in many cases was like a death sentence itself. Now I know we have made major strides and they can be much more precise in treating cancers, but it is still a rough going.
chemo and radiation are tough, they try to kill the cancer without killing you. there have been major advances in chemo and radiation and there are major advances close to approval, for certain types of cancer. Immunotherapy is a big part of it. there is MASSIVE improvement and innovation in the works.

Absolutely. By all means, let’s cure all diseases.

But every year the cancer survival rate goes up, especially amongst young people. Meaning the people that would most likely see their life meaningfully extended, are the people that are already seeing their life meaningfully extended.

The idea of future generations looking back is built on the idea that, “with all the money you people had, why is it you seemed to care so little about X?”

We as a society care about cancer. We put a ton of money into research and treatment.

What we don’t seem to really invest a ton in, which is odd, is the aging process itself.
Which will probably be the main frontier of future generations. That’s what they will look back on and wonder why we let ourselves just break down and die at such relatively small time tables, when the money and ability to increase it was there?

Absolutely. By all means, let’s cure all diseases.

But every year the cancer survival rate goes up, especially amongst young people. Meaning the people that would most likely see their life meaningfully extended, are the people that are already seeing their life meaningfully extended.

The idea of future generations looking back is built on the idea that, “with all the money you people had, why is it you seemed to care so little about X?”

We as a society care about cancer. We put a ton of money into research and treatment.

What we don’t seem to really invest a ton in, which is odd, is the aging process itself.
Which will probably be the main frontier of future generations. That’s what they will look back on and wonder why we let ourselves just break down and die at such relatively small time tables, when the money and ability to increase it was there?
Cash, there is a great book, "Outlive", The Science & Art of Longevity, by Peter Attia, MD. I highly recommend. I agree with your thought and so does Dr. Attia. The theory of the book, is how to prepare for the centenarian decathalon. Dr Attia talks about how we try to cure people, when they are sick, but don't work to prevent people from getting sick, or cancer, for that matter. Great book !

Reactions: cashisking884
Cash, there is a great book, "Outlive", The Science & Art of Longevity, by Peter Attia, MD. I highly recommend. I agree with your thought and so does Dr. Attia. The theory of the book, is how to prepare for the centenarian decathalon. Dr Attia talks about how we try to cure people, when they are sick, but don't work to prevent people from getting sick, or cancer, for that matter. Great book !
there is more money in the latter..

I’m actually reading that book too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT