ADVERTISEMENT

OT: when does hockey season start?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
This is a Steeler season that most of us have never experienced. Does this mean hockey season starts before Thanksgiving this year instead of February?

i usually really start following it in feb/march but this season, with the steelers season being over before halloween, i'll probably start earlier.

but your point is valid, season is ridiculously long..
At least I have the EPL and the added bonus of the World Cup this November. So I’m not starved for sports viewing. But the most upsetting thing to me is that Cignetti and our WR room have sabotaged my football season.

i usually really start following it in feb/march but this season, with the steelers season being over before halloween, i'll probably start earlier.

but your point is valid, season is ridiculously long..

I was thinking Pitt bball might make for some interesting viewing in the early part of 23. Not so sure after the the news from the last few days.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
At least I have the EPL and the added bonus of the World Cup this November. So I’m not starved for sports viewing. But the most upsetting thing to me is that Cignetti and our WR room have sabotaged my football season.
We’ll, on the good side, at least you have the problems all narrowed down to Cignetti and the WR room. If only the problem(s) were that limited.

more pissed about our Defense, no reason at all we arent better. that's what irritates me.

yeah the wrs are bad but i kind of suspected that everyone was going way overboard with thinking we had great players with mumpfield and means. i even said something in off season about a "Freshman from the mac conference" and of course everyone jumped all over me for that one, saying how crazy i am.

i hate to say to those people "I told you so" about a freshman wr from the Mac but well, uh forget it..

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The Penguins doused my interest in the coming season before it even started. They changed nothing from last year’s underachieving and rapidly aging team. What’s funny is their marketing for the season spins it like it is a positive thing.

more pissed about our Defense, no reason at all we arent better. that's what irritates me.

yeah the wrs are bad but i kind of suspected that everyone was going way overboard with thinking we had great players with mumpfield and means. i even said something in off season about a "Freshman from the mac conference" and of course everyone jumped all over me for that one, saying how crazy i am.

i hate to say to those people "I told you so" about a freshman wr from the Mac but well, uh forget it..
I bought in, I have to admit. I was trying to rise beyond my naturally cynical nature. Well, I won’t be making THAT mistake again.

The biggest downer is that not one of the transfers have come even close to expectations. The success of that paradigm is critical to programs like ours. We can never count on recruiting freshman four and five stars in the future, given NIL and the general acceptance of what had been cheating in the past is fine now. Our only hope to infuse talent into our two-and three-star core is for all these transfers to at least work out somewhat well, even if not always home runs.

But it drove home with me the point the elite programs like USC aren’t easily letting guys go for no reason: they likely stink. Either they would still be playing for USC or would have transferred to other elite programs, ie Joe Burrow. They aren’t coming here.

And, assuming that players enjoying success at lower level programs (MAC etc) will completely or even partly translate to the same in P5 programs is highly dubious. The levels of competition matter. When faced with playing P5 schools for 80% of the schedule, they likely aren’t going to live up. Remember that MAC schools also schedule a bunch of their own cupcakes. Guys like Mumfield and Means make their hay playing schools like Albany and John Carrol. Then we’re expecting that they can do same playing Tennessee.

But that said, we need to gamble on them and we can’t totally strike out with all of them (as is starting to look the case this season) or we’re going to be doomed most years.

Last edited:
The Penguins doused my interest in the coming season before it even started. They changed nothing from last year’s underachieving and rapidly aging team. What’s funny is their marketing for the season spins it like it is a positive thing.
Jeff Petry is a major addition. He will have a great season now that he is out of MTL. I didn’t mind bringing the gang back. It’s not like they have just been scraping into the playoffs. They can still win the Metro this year and compete for a run in the postseason. You don’t just throw that away.

Jeff Petry is a major addition. He will have a great season now that he is out of MTL. I didn’t mind bringing the gang back. It’s not like they have just been scraping into the playoffs. They can still win the Metro this year and compete for a run in the postseason. You don’t just throw that away.
I hope so. I count on long playoff runs by the Pen’s in spring to (try to) ease the pain that Pitt basketball no longer has any chance for the post season, and that there’s not even the slightest reason to have hope for the Pirates. But of late the Penguins have been nearly as frustrating as both of those.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT