ADVERTISEMENT

OT youth wrestling

sskuba06

Scholarship
Jun 18, 2004
Team PA won the 8U national team dual championships, in Ft Wayne IN, yesterday. 3 of the boys are from the WPIAL, area 3. There was some pretty intense wrestling, for the boys only being 8.

What are some clubs for youth in the area and at what age do they let them start?

One Shot WC in (Connellsville)

Rob Wallers All-American wrestling (Latrobe / Pleasant Unity)

Young Guns (Latrobe HS, Franklin Reg HS, North Allegheny & UPJ)

The 3 listed, are the ones we attend. You'll see more of the younger kids at One Shot or All American. Young Guns has their share, but they're geared more towards middle school and up.

There are some 5 and 6 yrs olds, which is a good age to get them involved. My son started at 6 and took his lumps, but it made him a better wrestler. Club wrestling doesn't compare to school wrestling. You can't take you kid to the school program, only, or he'll have a hard time competing.

Thank you for the response he's still a little young yet but we do some basic shots and stuff working with him in the house just trying to find other kids who are interested as well again thanks

I knew the Waller guy's dad. He was pretty hard core back in the seventies. My son did club wrestling in about 4th grade but liked soccer better. Looking back on it now I am glad he did not take up wrestling because I could not maintain a sense of balance, way to caught. up.

Old man Waller is still coaching, at the club. He's still hard core and old school.

His son coaches a couple days a week and his son in-law coaches 1 day. His son wrestled at Oklahoma and beat a Pitt wrestler, for the National title. His son in-law wrestled for Pitt.

The old man is extremely politically incorrect. He calls my son pollock and the Italian kids, degos, etc...you get my point. He's a good coach and very knowledgable, if you can get past his brash personality.

The coach, at One Shot, wrestled for Pitt in the 90's. He's a great coach and even better person.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT