ADVERTISEMENT

"Overrated" Franklin coming to town

:rolleyes:

Well, I think we 'ruined' your season by not having you in the bowl championship. Obviously you would have been if not for the Pitt loss.

-The BWI board was on full meltdown mode after that loss. The posts over there were beyond hysterical. You had enough comic relief to last a decade after Pitt won that game.

He has done well there. I think people are saying he is overrated, that is all. Hard to deny that, why would that be so hard.

Pitt has had better wins over the same time. Are you saying Narduzzi is clearly the better coach?

My original post was just showing how lame the victories were at Vanderbilt and why the 'overrated' label that other DI coaches gave him is accurate.

Overrated conversation to me Pres is subjective noise. You either win and produce or you don’t. I don’t view Franklin as great but he’s definitely the full packgage in my opinion.

Overrated conversation to me Pres is subjective noise. You either win and produce or you don’t. I don’t view Franklin as great but he’s definitely the full packgage in my opinion.

Well, he is much more impressive at penn state than at Vanderbilt, where he basically disgraced the university (OK, not him, but under his watch)

I think the 'overrated' comes from the coaches polled in the story a few weeks back.

-Pitt knocked Penn State out of the playoffs 2 years ago. That is better then the Clemson win or anything Penn State won. Pitt officially ruined Penn State's playoff chances. Pitt officially ruined Penn State's chance at a championship. Pitt ruined Penn State's entire season.

As a PSU fan living in Pittsburgh, who attended the 2016 game, and would hate to lose to Pitt more than pretty much any other team I can think of, I can honestly say that 2016 Pitt win did not ruin Penn State's entire season in the least. The 2016 season was as much fun as any of my favorite team's seasons in any sport. Maybe Pitt fans will be able to enjoy such a season in their lifetimes. Maybe even this year!

Good luck on Saturday. I like Pitt's chances a lot more than I did heading into last weekend.

Reactions: psuarmchrcoach
Successful coaches are often respected by their peers but seldom liked by the ones they compete against in playing and recruiting. I just don't see the overrated comments by this so called subjective poll. Even if the competition at Vanderbilt wasn't tier 1 competition those years, Franklin certainly overachieved expectations there. At Penn State he has also exceeded expectations so how in the world and by what definition is that overrated. Now if his teams with the talent recruited over the last two years underperforms, now that would be overrated. Pitt has a chance to start the overrated chant this weekend.

I think the 'overrated' comes from the coaches polled in the story a few weeks back.

I know I saw the piece. I give little respect to a bunch of coaches that are jealous and unsuccessful. Most of the coaches that arrogantly voted in that survey will be fired within five years.

Reactions: odshowtime
As a PSU fan living in Pittsburgh, who attended the 2016 game, and would hate to lose to Pitt more than pretty much any other team I can think of, I can honestly say that 2016 Pitt win did not ruin Penn State's entire season in the least. The 2016 season was as much fun as any of my favorite team's seasons in any sport. Maybe Pitt fans will be able to enjoy such a season in their lifetimes. Maybe even this year!

Good luck on Saturday. I like Pitt's chances a lot more than I did heading into last weekend.

How are your lines this year? Strength this year? Or no?

Your signature win (or more correctly the most important win) that year IMHO was most definitely persevering over Minny in OT. Without that, your season was ruined. The win vs. tOSU was a great victory. You could make the argument that the Pitt loss did not factor in the decision to choose tOSU for the CFP, but, you also can't honestly say it didn't play a part. And in fact, our win on the road at Clemson probably should have helped you.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Exposed?

WVU was a big favorite against Tenn - Grier is a legit Heisman possibility.

ND was favored at home over Michigan - You could argue that Shea Patterson was exposed as a QB with a lot of unjustified hype.

Only Texas was a favorite that lost and here I would agree that their mental toughness and lack of a good QB was exposed.

An "air raid" qb has never won the heisman despite putting up ridiculous numbers.... not going to happen this year either.

Does the name Johnny Manziel ring a bell to you?

Sumlin didnt run a typical air raid offense and even if he did, Manziel was more than just a bunch of passing yards...2000+ rushing yards in 2 years.

Not going to argue 76 thought in 2012 A.M.s offense was the airraid.I've been wrong many times over my very mediocre career!

Successful coaches are often respected by their peers but seldom liked by the ones they compete against in playing and recruiting. I just don't see the overrated comments by this so called subjective poll. Even if the competition at Vanderbilt wasn't tier 1 competition those years, Franklin certainly overachieved expectations there. At Penn State he has also exceeded expectations so how in the world and by what definition is that overrated. Now if his teams with the talent recruited over the last two years underperforms, now that would be overrated. Pitt has a chance to start the overrated chant this weekend.
Joe Moorehead.

Yeah but say that’s true. They still chose Franklin over all the other much more successful coaches than him. They could’ve picked urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, Saban, Sweeney or any number of coaches and the one with the most votes was James Franklin. That’s telling

Yeah but say that’s true. They still chose Franklin over all the other much more successful coaches than him. They could’ve picked urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, Saban, Sweeney or any number of coaches and the one with the most votes was James Franklin. That’s telling

Dumb poll and dumb defense. Tonight should put this joke thread to bed. Except for the geek homers.

Dumb poll and dumb defense. Tonight should put this joke thread to bed. Except for the geek homers.

He isnt overrated anymore because he beat a team he was heavy favorites to beat, and looked like a ginormous ass in the process?

Our punter has hands and the game is far different. Ped state had 220 yards through 3 quarters until jackass wanted to pad stats.

Only thing this game proved is our oline is weak. Our defense outplayed them, Offense didnt, special teams sucked. Neither coach looked good, neither QB looked good. Just 2 sputtering offenses, ours sputtered more, and turned the ball over, and a ton of penalties.

He isnt overrated anymore because he beat a team he was heavy favorites to beat, and looked like a ginormous ass in the process?

Our punter has hands and the game is far different. Ped state had 220 yards through 3 quarters until jackass wanted to pad stats.

Only thing this game proved is our oline is weak. Our defense outplayed them, Offense didnt, special teams sucked. Neither coach looked good, neither QB looked good. Just 2 sputtering offenses, ours sputtered more, and turned the ball over, and a ton of penalties.

Stop doubling and tripling down on stupid crap because you’re stubborn. The guy won at a joke program. It doesn’t matter who he beat at that joke program. Winning any games at Vandy is an accomplishment. Now he’s turned Penn State into a top 12 program. LOL at some of you that can’t seperate emotions from reality.

@President Stache while Franklin and his staff went to work during halftime figuring out how to stop Pitt’s running game and how to attack Pitt’s Defense our staff must have ordered 3 pizzas with the works and gave the team a high school pep talk. If you didn’t notice the coaching adjustments at work in the 2nd half that tells me you literally know nothing about football and never played. You don’t post like you ever played the game.

Last edited:

The line was 8 and we lost by 45. We got absolutely stomped. We gave up 51 and they gave up 6, but our defense "outplayed" them? Jesus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT