ADVERTISEMENT

Panther Pitt student section vs Clemson

Never understood the hate for the song. Students and players love it. If you don't like it don't participate for the 3 minutes that the song plays.

Because students typically leave in droves after it. There was an exodus after they played it at the WMU game.

Watching on TV, the crowd seemed pretty hype too when another song was playing. I can't recall the song, genre, or time during the game.

It wasn't as hype, but it reminded me a little of Wisc and House of Pain "Jump Around". I was wondering if a new tradition was being started.

Never understood the hate for the song. Students and players love it. If you don't like it don't participate for the 3 minutes that the song plays.
- It's a song with lyrics that Neil Diamond wrote about a 13-year-old girl at the time (Caroline Kennedy). It's creepy and cringe-worthy.

- It's not a *PITT* thing. We stole it from the Boston Red Sox. Pitt needs their own thing, something that is ours and ours alone. Or at least ours first.

We started Sweet Caroline in the 2009 season.... and it is time to retire it. Wisconsin has Jump Around.... let's come up with something uniquely ours, that the students can own and be proud of. Not something derivative from someone else, especially when it is practically a pedophile anthem.

- It's a song with lyrics that Neil Diamond wrote about a 13-year-old girl at the time (Caroline Kennedy). It's creepy and cringe-worthy.

- It's not a *PITT* thing. We stole it from the Boston Red Sox. Pitt needs their own thing, something that is ours and ours alone. Or at least ours first.

We started Sweet Caroline in the 2009 season.... and it is time to retire it. Wisconsin has Jump Around.... let's come up with something uniquely ours, that the students can own and be proud of. Not something derivative from someone else, especially when it is practically a pedophile anthem.

I would be willing to bet that Pitt wold happily start this brand new tradition just as soon as you tell them what it should be, and why it will end up better than what they are doing.

How freaking stupid would the people at Pitt have to be to stop doing the one thing, frequently the only thing, that gets the crowd on their feet and yelling?

I would be willing to bet that Pitt wold happily start this brand new tradition just as soon as you tell them what it should be, and why it will end up better than what they are doing.

How freaking stupid would the people at Pitt have to be to stop doing the one thing, frequently the only thing, that gets the crowd on their feet and yelling?
If you're going to copy someone else and be derivative.... then copy Jump Around from Wisconsin. That gets the people just as much on their feet and yelling - and it isn't creepy and cringeworthy.

I went to a Wisconsin game two years ago. Jump Around gets the students and crowd twice as worked up and rowdy as Sweet Caroline does.

Let's copy THAT, as long as we're copying.

Yeah, I don't understand that argument. 1) outside of a small handful of people, and especially the students (or anyone born in the last 40 years) know that song is about caroline kennedy when she was 13 (or whatever). 2) It does get everyone up on their feet and cheering together. 3) The students and players love it. Hell, on move in day, they had the street filled and was singing it in Oakland.

It's fine and has turned into a Pitt thing over the past decade.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Jump Around blows …

it’s completely lame.

if you’re going to change things get a Death Metal into ( not “Sandman “ either)

Here's how opposing fans view Sweet Caroline. Maybe it's just bitterness from losing, but they're not wrong:

As for "Enter Sandman".... that's a helluva lot better than Sweet Caroline. But yes, we shouldn't copy that either. What makes Jump Around and Enter Sandman cool is that it is uniquely Wisconsin's and VT's. Just like with Renegade and the Steelers - it is THEIRS, not derivative of some other team.

Big deal, we stole it from the Boston Red Sox. Who cares.

Given the enthusiasm and interaction it generates every time it is played, fans complaining about it ranks right up there with the administration’s way too long opposition and resistance to the school/uniform colors it was so obvious the vast majority of our fans wanted. In other words, illogical.

Here's how opposing fans view Sweet Caroline. Maybe it's just bitterness from losing, but they're not wrong:

As for "Enter Sandman".... that's a helluva lot better than Sweet Caroline. But yes, we shouldn't copy that either. What makes Jump Around and Enter Sandman cool is that it is uniquely Wisconsin's and VT's. Just like with Renegade and the Steelers - it is THEIRS, not derivative of some other team.

Heck, if we're going to share a facility with the Steelers, we might as well copy *THEM* and do Renegade. Not copy the Boston freaking Red Sox.

Ha, one guy on a message board says he didn't like it, and the only response was saying WooHoo is worse.

You speak truth. But I think Pitt has made themselves a copycat on this and they can’t escape.

However, the person who said you should just tell them a better song for the tradition… as if they would care what any of us think. Not only that, but being original was so last century

Ha, one guy on a message board says he didn't like it, and the only response was saying WooHoo is worse.
That’s without a doubt a 15 year old posting in actual bitterness… WGAF what he thinks?? LOL

I’d actually want to keep it for that reason alone… it’s hilarious

Reactions: ThePanthers
Watching on TV, the crowd seemed pretty hype too when another song was playing. I can't recall the song, genre, or time during the game.

It wasn't as hype, but it reminded me a little of Wisc and House of Pain "Jump Around". I was wondering if a new tradition was being started.
It was “The Kids Aren’t Alright” by The Offspring. The band plays it often and gets good reaction. They don’t often play on stadium speakers as often.

The student section started coming around 8 or so years ago, but they really stepped it up over the last four years. You're right about the players too, they've gotten into Sweet Caroline more this year than ever before. Winning I'm sure has a lot to do with it, but it gets loud Pitt chants every time they do it.

I've got a perfect replacement for Sweet Caroline...

It was “The Kids Aren’t Alright” by The Offspring. The band plays it often and gets good reaction. They don’t often play on stadium speakers as often.
I just googled that song and I don't think that's it.

I checked the game and it occurred just before the half after the Mack TD. Maybe it was just a chant and not a song, but the players and crowd seemed very hype. A lot of folks were jumping around and waving.

Full disclosure.....this was the first Pitt game in a long time that I actually sat through and watched the whole game.

I just googled that song and I don't think that's it.

I checked the game and it occurred just before the half after the Mack TD. Maybe it was just a chant and not a song, but the players and crowd seemed very hype. A lot of folks were jumping around and waving.

Full disclosure.....this was the first Pitt game in a long time that I actually sat through and watched the whole game.
I’m pretty sure it was Mr. Brightside by The Killers. They kept singing it even after it was stopped during the kickoff.

They played Mr. Brightside after Clemson‘s last touchdown. Crowd sang through the kickoff after music ended. Always a good song to sing along to…

Reactions: UPitt '89

Just as long as they don't ask fans to go out of their way to wear royal blue to the game.

Sorry. Had to

I’m pretty sure it was Mr. Brightside by The Killers. They kept singing it even after it was stopped during the kickoff.
That's not it. I figured it out with the help of Google Assistant. It's just a chant. 😁

Here it is.

Jump Around blows …

it’s completely lame.

if you’re going to change things get a Death Metal into ( not “Sandman “ either)
Jump around is cultural appropriation by a couple of irish guys, so that isn't PC either.

If they want to change the song, which is unlikely, change it to "Radio Ga Ga" by Queen. Has a great beat, audience participation, and no real connection whatsoever to anything on the field.

The only thing I can take away from this post is you are more into songs about smacking the hoes. Brilliant.

Last edited:

Brown Sugar? 😜

Just as long as they don't ask fans to go out of their way to wear royal blue to the game.

Sorry. Had to

I refuse to participate in traditions stolen from other schools/teams! No one but the Winnipeg Jets is allowed to tell their fans to all wear the same color clothing!

And no, I don't mean those pretender Winnipeg Jets that are nothing more than the repackaged Atlanta Thrashers. I mean the original Winnipeg Jets. You might know them as the Phoenix Coyotes.

:p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT