ADVERTISEMENT

Papa Kante

Its now official, congrats to Jeff Capel and the staff. And welcome Big Papa!!!
What are your thoughts on how much he’ll contribute next year.

It’s hard to judge based on one clip but he doesn’t look all that explosive and will need some time to develop. IMO he provides some fouls off the bench to back up Fede. I wouldn’t expect much from him on the offensive end

• Wow
Reactions: FireballZ
What are your thoughts on how much he’ll contribute next year.

It’s hard to judge based on one clip but he doesn’t look all that explosive and will need some time to develop. IMO he provides some fouls off the bench to back up Fede. I wouldn’t expect much from him on the offensive end

He'll certainly contribute and play. I wouldn't go as far as saying he is going to start yet. But he is an elite caliber defender that protects the interior very well. He averaged around 10 ppg and 8 rpg for the EYBL and peach jam combined which are good numbers shooting just under 60% from the floor. And he had these numbers on a good team. He should get minutes at the 4 and 5, primarily the 5 to start off. Does most of his scoring inside 10 feet but can hit the midrange at times. Sometimes he gets shot happy and tries to shoot way more than he should, his shot is still in development. He plays physical and he has a relentless motor, and that includes getting up and down the floor quickly.

Kante is a strong inside finisher. He will get you buckets on the interior and can be a load down there, which was the bread and butter for Justin Champagnie in a lot of games, scoring on the inside. He should know his limitations as a freshmen big and that he is not or should not be jacking up a lot of shots 10+ feet out. He should be a strong rebounder starting in game 1. He has a chance to be a really good player in time.

This is a significant addition to the team that I think you are underestimating. In addition to being 6'10 and physical, he has a 7'4 wingspan to work with. So he has good upside potential.

Last edited:
Allegenee is not a Pitt fan. Joined Board very recently — even though he is a fan of another team. What kind of loser does this

Allegenee is not a Pitt fan. Joined Board very recently — even though he is a fan of another team. What kind of loser does this
All the Pitt fans who go to the Penn State boards to talk about JoePa and Sandusky :)

Uh what? I graduated from Pitt in 2003.

What is your problem?

Edit: your first post in about a month is fabricating a story about someone you know nothing about and have never interacted with? What a weirdo.

Last edited:
Seems like a phenomenal pickup. The skeptic in me hopes we can land him again next year and the year after that, etc. when we have to re-recruit him. But, awesome get and it would be cool if he could provide anything as soon as this season.

Reactions: Drew1208
Seems like a phenomenal pickup. The skeptic in me hopes we can land him again next year and the year after that, etc. when we have to re-recruit him. But, awesome get and it would be cool if he could provide anything as soon as this season.
Considering how his recruitment played out, if he plays well this is going to be a battle every year. Hopefully Bickell can keep his people happy

Considering how his recruitment played out, if he plays well this is going to be a battle every year. Hopefully Bickell can keep his people happy

I don't think it was that crazy to be honest. Slater put out a school list and Slater is good but he isn't perfect. He left out Pitt either for a reason which I do not know or as an error and Maryland wanted Dickinson as choice A and not Kante as choice A.

The rumor was a potential grade issue requirement with Michigan. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not, but I always thought the first time around that Maryland was our main competition the entire time, not Michigan or Rutgers. He was never going to Memphis. And he visited Maryland twice the first time around.

The 2nd time around Maryland went all in with Hunter Dickinson and Alabama tried to make its big push with Nate Oats flying up there to recruit him and getting him on a visit. The whole time I was concerned with Maryland after Dickinson chose Kansas. Ironically, Slater I believe also left Maryland off the list of schools that reached out, probably because of Dickinson. I don't think Georgia Tech was a real contender either even though he visited there.

My original information was correct with Pitt being on the very short list (top 3). He has a strong connection with Gilbert Brown too as Brown coached at South Kent. Sure, he could transfer just like all the other transfers out there. But this commit didn't exactly come out of left field either. He was our top target last summer as the staff was always at the NY Rens games. Jaland Lowe kind of fell into our lap last summer because of Capel's connection with his father and Lowe blowing up in the summer.

Reactions: Hail412Pitt
This is from Adam Finklestein this morning (AAU / CBS / 247 scout), commitment review of Kante to Pitt and Pitt's offseason. (None of these words below are mine)

Pittsburgh landed a commitment from South Kent School and New York Rens four-star big man Papa Kante on Monday.

His pledge is a significant one for the Panthers as they land one of the best defensive big men in the national class of 2023.

Full Evaluation​

Kante has a physically imposing frame with good size, broad shoulders, a strong body, and reported 7-foot-4 wingspan. He can be a dominant rebounder and active shot-blocker. He’s physical in the post and fairly mobile hedging ball-screens for a player his size, albeit a true center.

While his defense is currently ahead of his offense, he’s made nice strides over the years. He rim-runs well, is just starting to utilize his big body to seal for easy buckets inside, and has made a lot of progress with his hands and reactions in quick catch-and-finish situations.

Kante also has good touch and footwork, but becomes less efficient when trying too hard to prove his face-up skill set. He has become a consistent free-throw shooter and isn’t incapable of knocking down an occasional open rhythm three, but too often picks-and-pops instead of rolling hard to the rim, settles for tough-twos in the mid-post area, or stops the ball with too many fakes and pivots trying to create his own shot.

While he has had the benefit of offensive freedom in high school, his most immediate impact on the college level will be on the defensive end of the floor where his size, measurables, college ready body, and ability to clean the glass will all be major assets.

How He Fits​

Kante becomes the fourth player to commit to head coach Jeff Capel out of the high school ranks joining point guard Jaland Lowe, combo-guard Carlton Carrington, and combo-forward Marlon Barnes Jr. With Ishmael Leggett and Zack Austin transferring in from Rhode Island and High Point respectively, the Panthers are set to add six new players next season.

Kante is as critical as any of them though as the one true frontcourt player in the class, providing some much-needed size to help solidify the frontline.

Pittsburgh returns their starting tandem of Federiko Federiko, who provided quality rim protection in just over 23 minutes per game, as well as Blake Hinson, a versatile mismatch forward who was the team’s leading scorer last year with over 15 points per game.

Off the bench, they have rising sophomores Guillermo Diaz Graham and Jorge Diaz Graham, two highly skilled perimeter forwards with good size, but relatively lean frames.

Kante provides just the back-up center they needed, who will be capable of coming in, playing immediate minutes behind Federiko, and providing a physical presence inside the paint that will complement the spacing and offensive skill that Hinson and the twins provide.

I don't think it was that crazy to be honest. Slater put out a school list and Slater is good but he isn't perfect. He left out Pitt either for a reason which I do not know or as an error and Maryland wanted Dickinson as choice A and not Kante as choice A.

The rumor was a potential grade issue requirement with Michigan. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not, but I always thought the first time around that Maryland was our main competition the entire time, not Michigan or Rutgers. He was never going to Memphis. And he visited Maryland twice the first time around.

The 2nd time around Maryland went all in with Hunter Dickinson and Alabama tried to make its big push with Nate Oats flying up there to recruit him and getting him on a visit. The whole time I was concerned with Maryland after Dickinson chose Kansas. Ironically, Slater I believe also left Maryland off the list of schools that reached out, probably because of Dickinson. I don't think Georgia Tech was a real contender either even though he visited there.

My original information was correct with Pitt being on the very short list (top 3). He has a strong connection with Gilbert Brown too as Brown coached at South Kent. Sure, he could transfer just like all the other transfers out there. But this commit didn't exactly come out of left field either. He was our top target last summer as the staff was always at the NY Rens games. Jaland Lowe kind of fell into our lap last summer because of Capel's connection with his father and Lowe blowing up in the summer.
English test standards not grades.
Pitchagg said Michigan has higher standards for that test.

I'm very pleased with this commitment. I know that many people were focused on getting shooters to replace our recently departed, and rightfully so.

However, I was worried about the big men equally. G filled in admirably while Federiko was injured, and both the twins showed potential. Still, I felt strongly that we needed a 3rd man who could play center. It's not Jorge, who I'd actually like to see get some minutes at the 3.

Kante more than fills the need, a young guy with potential to become a star somewhere down the road and a body that is more ACC ready than the twins. Incidentally, does anyone know if they've put on any good weight over the off-season?

Now, with Kante, I believe Pitt has another potential NCAA tournament run in sight.
If possible, I would like to add another shooter, regardless of position. I don't care if he's a transfer or a rookie.

Anyway, welcome aboard Mr. Kante, the Pitt family is happy to have you aboard.

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT