ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Ford

I have no clue what the real story is, but it is very, very hard to believe Ford is worse than Briggs.
I agree with the board that Briggs is not very good. He's probably our weakest player in the secondary.
But he's a senior and he knows where he's supposed to be, and coaches wisely cherish that because it limits the number of long TDs due to broken assignments, which are a killer.

I believe that the reason that Ford isn't playing safety is he can't consistently make correct reads. Narduzzi said that was the case last year, and I suspect its still the case.

So they moved him to CB, because the assignments are simpler there, and its given him a chance to play. Moving him to CB isn't something he should be pissed about, because that increased his chance to play.

Ford is more athletic than Briggs, and would likely make more big plays, but he'd probably also kill us by blowing assignments and giving up easy scores.

Reactions: Steve_H2P
Obviously the blame for a player not getting on the field first falls on the player. If you are that good, you don’t get kept off the field. But, I put some blame on Narduzzi and the way he constantly made such a big deal of Ford since day #1. It puts pressure on him and also over inflated perception of him (both ours and his).

Why isn't Ford moved to the offense ala Whitehead.?
If he can't handle the assignments of safety or CB he certainly should be more than athletic to be explosive on the offensive side at wide receiver, RB, or a slot back as Whitehead and not be a liability.

Reactions: McKee Place
UNC beat us with bubble screens and throws to the flat - Somehow those plays fail to work against any of their other opponents. How can that be?
Could it be pitt’s 4-3 defense the whole game that left multiple receivers without a defender within 10 yards of them at the LOS? Naaaaahhh.... that’s too easy of a fix for Pitt to continually get beat all day like that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: gary2
Why isn't Ford moved to the offense ala Whitehead.?
If he can't handle the assignments of safety or CB he certainly should be more than athletic to be explosive on the offensive side at wide receiver, RB, or a slot back as Whitehead and not be a liability.
He isn’t getting touches on offense because he isn’t as explosive as Ffrench, Carter, Shocky, Lopes, and Salahuddin on the jet sweep. There is no way he is coming into the game as a TB over the guys they have running the ball. Maybe he simply peaked in HS against AA WPIAL competition like others have suggested.

Reactions: JSSTartan and 4upmc
He isn’t getting touches on offense because he isn’t as explosive as Ffrench, Carter, Shocky, Lopes, and Salahuddin on the jet sweep. There is no way he is coming into the game as a TB over the guys they have running the ball. Maybe he simply peaked in HS against AA WPIAL competition like others have suggested.
It would be nice to have a WR who could get separation more than 7 yards down the field. I don't know if Ford could be that guy, but we sure could use another WR. Mathews, Tipton, Shocky, Butler and Smith have not been able to assume command of the WR spot behind Ffrench, Mack and Lopes. With zero from the TEs, and Mack hurt, someone needs to step up

Reactions: Spindler

Seriously we have way more explosive guys to run jet sweeps. And 2 running backs who are having excellent years. As far as WR it’s probably because he can’t pick up the plays...what other reason would there be. PN has proven he will play 1st and 2nd year guys as we have plenty at WR.

PN pretty much said in a nice way the kid can’t pick up the D well enough to play S. If he can’t pick it up well enough to play over someone like Briggs that should tell you something about the football IQ of Ford.

He has gotten time at CB and has done nothing to Justify more PT. I get it he was a star in the WPIAL so I guess he should be starting and an All American by now smh.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Seriously we have way more explosive guys to run jet sweeps. And 2 running backs who are having excellent years. As far as WR it’s probably because he can’t pick up the plays...what other reason would there be. PN has proven he will play 1st and 2nd year guys as we have plenty at WR.

PN pretty much said in a nice way the kid can’t pick up the D well enough to play S. If he can’t pick it up well enough to play over someone like Briggs that should tell you something about the football IQ of Ford.

He has gotten time at CB and has done nothing to Justify more PT. I get it he was a star in the WPIAL so I guess he should be starting and an All American by now smh.

Good post. It’s not like the kid is a true frosh. He’s had a year to learn the safety positon and apparantlly still can’t grasp the position. That says something about the kids dedication to getting better

I’ve said it before and it’s worth repeating. When a coach gives PT to a kid who is not clearly better and has earned PT just because he was highly recruited he’s on the fast track to losing the team. From what I’ve seen there are more talented players on the roster than ford

Here is what I don't understand, all camp we heard about how he is a playmaker and he is picking off passes left and right now the kid cant get on the field. And I'm sorry I cant see him being any worse than Dane Jackson at corner at least.

I’ve said it before and it’s worth repeating. When a coach gives PT to a kid who is not clearly better and has earned PT just because he was highly recruited he’s on the fast track to losing the team. From what I’ve seen there are more talented players on the roster than ford

Agree 100%! Though PN has many flaws I respect that and he knows he can’t just play a local kid who has not proven he deserves to be on the field. So yinzers and some gym teachers, I mean wpial coaches will be mad. Oh well.

As far as talk of him transferring he probably will. He seems like the type if he does not get his way he quits. How many HS’s did he play for...

Here is what I don't understand, all camp we heard about how he is a playmaker and he is picking off passes left and right now the kid cant get on the field. And I'm sorry I cant see him being any worse than Dane Jackson at corner at least.
Dane Jackson is a decent player. Hamlin played poorly yesterday.

Agree 100%! Though PN has many flaws I respect that and he knows he can’t just play a local kid who has not proven he deserves to be on the field. So yinzers and some gym teachers, I mean wpial coaches will be mad. Oh well.

As far as talk of him transferring he probably will. He seems like the type if he does not get his way he quits. How many HS’s did he play for...
Central Catholic, Seton LaSalle, and Steel Valley.

Is he still going to West Virginia's swiss cheese defense? or did the winning streak change his mind?

Reactions: sween73
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford is actually half decent and is not playing due to some personal squabble with coaching staff and they are butt-hurt about it so they don't play him. We have seen the obstinance and how it culminates into not changing defensive schemes for someone who is supposed to be a defensive guru. I would bet a Pitt Script polo shirt that a lack of playing time is due to personal differences ...and nothing to do with skill.
Well there’s the fact that Ford has looked totally lost with the game reps he had been given.......

Its a process learning the defense their are concepts to learn and communication between DBs is important. The D still has blown coverage's in recent games but they are playing better. Once Ford learns his position his talent will show. I think Pitt has more overall talent now in the secondary. Plus some of the freshman were highly recruited. H2P!

Its up to the coaches to get the best combination of scheme and talent to have the strongest overall defense.

They cant dumb it down for one player.
It's not dumbing it down for one player. Coaches are essentially teachers. A teacher's job is to explain things in a way that the students will understand. Every student doesn't learn the same way and if you have a naturally gifted person your job as a coach is to find a way to make things make sense. Your assumption that this kid is too "dumb" to understand his assignments is quite presumptive. If you have some inside knowledge that is one thing. Do you?

Man...some of the stuff people spew on this board is just laughable. “Let him walk.” “He’s not smart enough.” “He’s a quitter that went to sixteen high schools!” And we cry when a local kid goes away to other schools but can’t support the ones who stay home.

Reactions: DrPittfan163
I think that Ford is just a raw athlete more than most of us wanted to admit. Moving him to CB probably improved his coverage skills, reps, and game time. I think he'll move back to safety and beat out campbell in due time. Only negative I can say is that he hasn't been special in his opportunity on special teams. I hope he stays and turns into a special player. Some guys need time to develop and he may just need to mature as a person and football player.
H2P

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
I think that Ford is just a raw athlete more than most of us wanted to admit. Moving him to CB probably improved his coverage skills, reps, and game time. I think he'll move back to safety and beat out campbell in due time. Only negative I can say is that he hasn't been special in his opportunity on special teams. I hope he stays and turns into a special player. Some guys need time to develop and he may just need to mature as a person and football player.
H2P
If he is that great raw athlete, why not play him at WR?

I don't see Ford as a better receiver than Mack or French. I personally think French is the most explosive player on the roster (and maybe the best overall athlete). I also don't see Ford as a "slot" receiver. So that why I would say it hard for him to find snaps there. In fairness to him he played at a lot of different high schools that just used him as an athlete "FS/WR/RB" and probably the system didn't matter. Now your in the ACC and you have to play bigger better football. He will be fine and I see him moving back to safety for sure..(at his size)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT