ADVERTISEMENT

Pat BOSTICK

King is really good. I would vote for him. Billy H is 78 so how much longer does he continue the gig ? Does he retire from both the Steelers play by play and the Panthers playboy play at the same time or drop one for the sake of easing back on the schedule

My opinion is he should retire after this steeler season and the Pitt men’s basketball season. The reason is he isn’t good at it. He can still read the commercial cue cards and do the timeout discussion but as far as a listener trying to understand what just happened on a particular play forget about it. Not an easy job for anyone let alone someone his age. I am surprised no one has suggested to him that his skills have greatly diminished.

I would go with King over Pompeani. I also think that when Hillgrove retires Pitt will get their new voice and that person won’t be the Steelers voice.

It seems Billy's heir apparent will be Larry Reichert. Whenever the Steelers were in Denver and Pitt was playing Miami, Larry filled in from his normal duties of sideline reporter. There have been several instances of this over the years whenever the Steelers play out west.

Reactions: paulbl99
I never really listened to games on the radio and the few I have, Billy was much past his prime and honestly not that good. Was he good in his younger days?

I never really listened to games on the radio and the few I have, Billy was much past his prime and honestly not that good. Was he good in his younger days?
He was very good, not just good.

Went to a media day at Pitt when Wanny was HC...all the media guys were there....But Billy came in last and you knew he was The Man.
And his voice when heard in person just BOOMS.

Also have met people who have been his company socially and they all have said he’s one of the nicest, fun guys they ever met...

But yeah when I hear a big call lately made on the radio I just hold my breath......

Mr Hillgrove was the best. I can still remember him and Johnny Sauer doing the best Pitt FB broadcasts. BUT.... Time marches on and Bill is embarrassing himself. Time to retire with accolades. Any longer past this year will be a mistake by Bill and by the Pitt administration. Heather should throw him a nice dinner at which time he announces his retirement. Hail to Pitt.

Mr Hillgrove was the best. I can still remember him and Johnny Sauer doing the best Pitt FB broadcasts. BUT.... Time marches on and Bill is embarrassing himself. Time to retire with accolades. Any longer past this year will be a mistake by Bill and by the Pitt administration. Heather should throw him a nice dinner at which time he announces his retirement. Hail to Pitt.

Johnny Sauer was very good, best color man we had. Osborne's first stint was good also, however second time he had lost something which is surprising since he isn't that old.

But yeah, Hillgrove was never a play by play man. He is an anchorman and he never got any better at play by play, especially for radio.which is a lot more difficult than TV. He needs to go, especially with him & Groat on basketball.

Unfortunately the replacement may be Larry Richert who may be as bad if not worse than Hillgrove.

I saw a few games on youtube and kind of under-rated was the job Myron Cope did filling in for Johnny Sauer that year. Myron had a lot of schtick but was a pretty knowledgeable guy.

Reactions: Saboteur
Pat is good, but he's a color guy.And there is a difference.Some even say doing color on radio is even tougher because you don't want to step over the pxp guy.
He has a tough task, he has to kindly, gently correct Bill on his mistakes with the plays, while also adding color. Occasionally you hear a bit of irritation but he usually does a commendable job with it.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I like listening to Bill and he should retire when he wants to. He's a Pitt legend. Johnny Sauer was the best Pitt has had on the radio. Sauer knew football. His insight was great to listen to after the games.

Yeah this is true. But his spotters are bad too. When I listen to Bill, I intuitively just know to wait about 3-5 seconds after one of his play calls before I accept that what i just heard actually happened. It makes things much less frustrating.
Isn't Bill's son his spotter???
If so....another reason for the Hilgrove clan to be given that farewell dinner.

I like listening to Bill and he should retire when he wants to. He's a Pitt legend. Johnny Sauer was the best Pitt has had on the radio. Sauer knew football. His insight was great to listen to after the games.
Johnny Sauer passed away. Pitt fans should not have to wait until Bill has it decided for him. And this...He should retire when he wants to... is BS. In the real world we retire when we realize it's time to go or when management realizes it's time to go. Pitt management needs to wake up and realize that it's time for Bill to go.

Yeah this is true. But his spotters are bad too. When I listen to Bill, I intuitively just know to wait about 3-5 seconds after one of his play calls before I accept that what i just heard actually happened. It makes things much less frustrating.
I was trapped in a car to listen to end of Duke game. The unintended suspense caused by his call on the Ffrench td catch was something to behold. Was it a pass? Was it completed? Was it completed for a Td? I eventually accepted the assertion we had indeed scored a td, but it truly wasn't totally certain what happened until the wrap up.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
When Jack Fleming retired, Billy was the obvious choice to replace him with the Steelers. Such a smooth transition since he was already a well known voice. And he did a great job for both.

I think he still does a good job, especially during calmer moments. But the big calls aren’t as good and now many more mistakes.

I’m not sure who takes over for Pitt OR the Steelers. Guys like Pompeani that are well respected with good voices, just aren’t good play by play guys. Pomp gets too tongue tied. King is OK, but does he really strike you as a big time play by play guy? Not really. Stan Savern is Billy’s age, or at least close. I think he may have been in the running for the Steelers in the day, but he is past that point in his career.

Plus a lot of yinzers don’t like an outsider doing the games (and I might be in that category too because the passion doesn’t come through). Not sure I ever listened to Richert do play by play.

I can see Billy hanging up the Steelers first, and maybe hanging on with Pitt for both sports. I mean, No way he leaves a 90 year old Dick Groat to fend for himself :)

I guess we’ll see

Agree. I listen for the crowd noise to try and figure out what happened. :oops:

The best on air professional in Pgh should take over the play by play and that’s Rob King.
Unfortunately, they'll never let him out of his AT&T contract with the Penguins, but Rob King is probably the best all around, knowledgeable sports guy on the scene here in Pittsburgh. He'd be a slam dunk hire for the Steelers and Pitt.

I think we're doomed for Richert. Anyone have an Anthony's Coal Fired pizza lately?

Johnny Sauer was very good, best color man we had. Osborne's first stint was good also, however second time he had lost something which is surprising since he isn't that old.

But yeah, Hillgrove was never a play by play man. He is an anchorman and he never got any better at play by play, especially for radio.which is a lot more difficult than TV. He needs to go, especially with him & Groat on basketball.

Unfortunately the replacement may be Larry Richert who may be as bad if not worse than Hillgrove.

I saw a few games on youtube and kind of under-rated was the job Myron Cope did filling in for Johnny Sauer that year. Myron had a lot of schtick but was a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Agree with you robs our energy analysis. His energy and enthusiasm just was not markedly declined.

Agree with your analysis of Osborne. Was really surprised and disappointed with the decline in energy and enthusiasm in his second stint.

Reactions: jctrack
No Larry Richert. He can keep his public address announcer gig but play by play........he would suck.

Opportunist. He does commercials on KDKA with his son giving testimonials for back treatment and vision treatment.

And the Anthony’s pizza hawking. He uses his notoriety to help enrich his investment
Having said all of that the Steelers will give him the gig and he can MC many of their charity things and banquets etc.

He won’t be the Pitt play by play person. That job is going to someone not affiliated with the Steelers.

He has a tough task, he has to kindly, gently correct Bill on his mistakes with the plays, while also adding color. Occasionally you hear a bit of irritation but he usually does a commendable job with it.
Tunch does the same on the Steelers radio broadcast as well.

No Larry Richert. He can keep his public address announcer gig but play by play........he would suck.

Opportunist. He does commercials on KDKA with his son giving testimonials for back treatment and vision treatment.

And the Anthony’s pizza hawking. He uses his notoriety to help enrich his investment
Having said all of that the Steelers will give him the gig and he can MC many of their charity things and banquets etc.

He won’t be the Pitt play by play person. That job is going to someone not affiliated with the Steelers.
Hey - Larry - is primed and ready after doing P-R play by play.

During Osborne second stint I always wondered if he was having a health problem of his own. his voice just never seemed like it was strong

Another reason to hate Heinz Field. This is an honest to God true story. When they designed the suite level, they forgot to put in a box for the radio guys. Billy actually has to call the game from the end zone. Which is astounding, if you think about it. I worked with him and Billy O. the last year at Pitt Stadium. I was the producer for the radio network. Had an absolute blast, especially on the road. Bill Hillgrove might be the nicest guy I’ve ever met. Even showed me how to eat lobster when we were at Boston College. Whoever ends up telling him that it’s time is going to take a lot of heat from a lot of people. But, it’s time. I agree with Rob King as his replacement.

Reactions: FireballZ
Another reason to hate Heinz Field. This is an honest to God true story. When they designed the suite level, they forgot to put in a box for the radio guys. Billy actually has to call the game from the end zone. Which is astounding, if you think about it. I worked with him and Billy O. the last year at Pitt Stadium. I was the producer for the radio network. Had an absolute blast, especially on the road. Bill Hillgrove might be the nicest guy I’ve ever met. Even showed me how to eat lobster when we were at Boston College. Whoever ends up telling him that it’s time is going to take a lot of heat from a lot of people. But, it’s time. I agree with Rob King as his replacement.
Yes, I was remiss in my post above not to have added that Ive had opportunity on multiple occasions to share watering holes with BH (couple bowl games and a memorable, perhaps marked by loss of memory, at the late great Peter's Pub). Nobody could be more personable and down to earth. He's a great ambassador for us. Just not quite as much so behind the mike anymore. Which is sad because in his prime, he was quintessential. I do still marvel how can do both sports and both Pitt and Steelers as he still often does, good or bad.

BH corrects himself at least once every three plays or so. It's hard to listen to. Bostick is a quality color man and is able to balance out the booth. Basketball games are torturous to listen to since Dick Groat died. Oh wait, never mind...

I really like Bostick also. Really does a good job.

Hillgrove is definitely past his prime, but in his heyday, was one of the best. I think we can anoint Hillgrove to "legend" status also. An All Time Great.

But definitely would love to see Rob King get the nod as his replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT