ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde weighs in on the Stallings hire, and it's not good

Arguing about integrity in sports is just a pointless endeavor. There will always be people who want to win at all costs no matter how inconsequential the contest is. Now when you add money and fame into the equation things get further out of control. Those who knowingly cheat really don't care about playing by the rules and getting caught doesn't stigmatize them the way it would an honest person who makes a mistake.
You want to try and clean up college sports get rid of the money and guess what that will never happen and even without the money there still will be programs that cheat. It's human nature.

I really have no interest in other college sports, other than Pitt. I did watch this year's NC game between UNC and 'Nova, but mainly because I had something riding on it....a basketball poll. Outside of Pitt football, I watch virtually zero college football. I don't like the sport. College hoops I may watch for a few minutes when it's a game Pitt is not in, but it will only be for a little while. I have enjoyed college basketball more than any other sport, but lately I'm not sure why.

Pro sports? Never watch it, except to go to a few Pirates' games during the year with friends and family. And then, we'll use one of the boxes at our disposal and watch the game intermittently. PNC Park is a beautiful venue and that's what I enjoy.

And that is fine, yet you are on a Pitt college sports message board. I don't listen to Country Music. I have yet to even google a country music message board to tell them I think Country Music sucks. So....why are you here then?

Arguing about integrity in sports is just a pointless endeavor. There will always be people who want to win at all costs no matter how inconsequential the contest is. Now when you add money and fame into the equation things get further out of control. Those who knowingly cheat really don't care about playing by the rules and getting caught doesn't stigmatize them the way it would an honest person who makes a mistake.
You want to try and clean up college sports get rid of the money and guess what that will never happen and even without the money there still will be programs that cheat. It's human nature.

I don't want to "win at all costs"...to a point. But honestly, playing by the rules on the field is more being of integrity than giving a kid extra spending cash. My thoughts are....cheating is only done in sports, when the outcome of the game is affected by some nefarious ways or if you are doing something outside the lines that no one else is doing. If everyone is skirting rules on recruiting and player eligibility, then it is strictly the cost of doing business.

And that is fine, yet you are on a Pitt college sports message board. I don't listen to Country Music. I have yet to even google a country music message board to tell them I think Country Music sucks. So....why are you here then?

That's pretty simple. I am a Pitt fan. I don't visit other sports message boards of any teams, anywhere, including any of the local pro teams.

That's pretty simple. I am a Pitt fan. I don't visit other sports message boards of any teams, anywhere, including any of the local pro teams.

Question. Assuming you graduated in 1985 by your screenname. Would you take Pitt football of say 1978-1983 or the last 5 years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT