ADVERTISEMENT

Patriots

@gary2

https://deadspin.com/lets-all-calm-down-about-tony-romo-1831993023

“Romo’s ability to identify and articulate this real-time shrinking of the playbook is an asset to the broadcast, but only if he qualifies it, which he did not.

Here’s the thing: The Chiefs also saw what Tony saw. You think that professional football men don’t know that Gronk will get the ball in one-on-one match-ups? Or that the back and tight end will chip the edge rushers in a five-man front? Or that Edelman is going across the middle? That Brady will check to a weak side run when they overload the strong side?

Again, it is Tony’s job to point out this Football 101 type of stuff, but the glee with which he sells it as a novelty gave me flashbacks to those arguments with Conceptual coaches. Yes, I get it, we want to put ourselves in the best positions we can. Of course. But what always happens in the end is that none of it matters if you aren’t good enough to stop it. And when you are playing against Tom Brady in overtime of the AFC Championship game, no matter who you are, you aren’t good enough to stop it. Not even when you know where the ball is going.”
I believe I conceded the point that it is much easier to predict where the ball is going after you see the personnel on the field and the alignment. At that point it is too late for the coach on the field to do anything.

Giving that disclaimer heavy weight does not detract from Romos knowledge of Xs and Os, personnel packages and alignment.

Romo determined well before Reid that more Big players were needed on the field.

Romo predicted the Pats would put Gronk outside before they did it.

Romo knows the game. It is not because he gets a late view no coach can make an adjustment off.

Romo did a great job as a player under pressure with all those playoff wins, i'm sure he'd do a great job with all that coaching pressure.....

Romo did a great job as a player under pressure with all those playoff wins, i'm sure he'd do a great job with all that coaching pressure.....
How does it go? People that can do, do. People that can't, teach.

Well something like that.

I believe I conceded the point that it is much easier to predict where the ball is going after you see the personnel on the field and the alignment. At that point it is too late for the coach on the field to do anything.

Giving that disclaimer heavy weight does not detract from Romos knowledge of Xs and Os, personnel packages and alignment.

Romo determined well before Reid that more Big players were needed on the field.

Romo predicted the Pats would put Gronk outside before they did it.

Romo knows the game. It is not because he gets a late view no coach can make an adjustment off.

Did you read the entire article?

How does it go? People that can do, do. People that can't, teach.

Well something like that.

Problem with that philosophy is that there is both a workforce and teacher shortage. You can teach all you want but you’re not getting anywhere when people don’t want to do dick.

Did you read the entire article?
I just finished the entire article. It changes my mind on nothing. First, it has at least one factual error. In the first half Romo stated KC needed more big players in the game. He saw what NE was doing and laid out what to do to counter it. KC eventually did as Romo suggested and it worked.

Second, the author obviously has an axe to grind. He believes in instinct over preparation and skill over scheme.

Obviously great talent can defeat even the perfect scheme. I would rather have great talent, but it is hard to argue that the perfect scheme does not give you the best shot against great talent.

Problem with that philosophy is that there is both a workforce and teacher shortage. You can teach all you want but you’re not getting anywhere when people don’t want to do dick.
The point being: many of the greatest coaches were not the best of players. Knowing what to do and being able to do it are two separate skills sets. The ability to know what should be done and having the ability to communicate that knowledge should not be disparaged.

I just finished the entire article. It changes my mind on nothing. First, it has at least one factual error. In the first half Romo stated KC needed more big players in the game. He saw what NE was doing and laid out what to do to counter it. KC eventually did as Romo suggested and it worked.

Second, the author obviously has an axe to grind. He believes in instinct over preparation and skill over scheme.

Obviously great talent can defeat even the perfect scheme. I would rather have great talent, but it is hard to argue that the perfect scheme does not give you the best shot against great talent.
One comment on what I would have tried. Romo repeatedly said NE was bringing pressure up the middle, but had a second player in position should the QB escape the pocket.

I know you never want to get your QB hurt, but the kid is mobile. I would have called a straight QB run to the edge and blocked according. One nice gain may have discouraged that inside pressure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT