ADVERTISEMENT

Penalty and kick decides the winner again

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Anyone outside of Philly have a problem with the world championship being decided by a penalty and a chip shot kick?

I hated the call, but by the letter of the law it was the right call.

Didn’t KC win two weeks ago the same way?

What a way to back door their way into a championship.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
Anyone outside of Philly have a problem with the world championship being decided by a penalty and a chip shot kick?

Fumble returned for a TD decided the game, or punt return decided the game, or.... The penalty call didn't decide the game.

Fumble returned for a TD decided the game, or punt return decided the game, or.... The penalty call didn't decide the game.
You can point to 100 things that happened that helped decide the game. And as I told Philly fan in another thread, KC won legitimately. Philly didn’t make enough plays.

It was just a terrible anti-climatic way to decide the world champion.

I feel that there will be a lot of folks that have this comment fly over their heads.

Could have been a td. They chose to kick a fg and bleed the clock. Thems the rules.

Haha, but this is different from deciding games on things that don't happen during the natural course of a game. If each team has to select 3-5 guys to kick one off a tee and through the uprights from the 25 yard line, and the winner was whichever team made the most, I would take issue with that.

Ahhh. I see where this is going. I was talking about NFL football and not comparing it to another sport. I’m just saying it was a $hitty and non entertaining way of deciding a champion.

But we love football. We love the NFL. We understand and accept the rules for what they are. But I can certainly see how casual observers have a hard time wrapping their head around the way the game ended.

You can point to 100 things that happened that helped decide the game. And as I told Philly fan in another thread, KC won legitimately. Philly didn’t make enough plays.

You can point to the last drive where they let them drive right down the field. The call sucked, but I had no issue with it.

As a coach, you tell your players to control what you can control. You can't control what the refs do, you know there will be bad calls, it happens every game. You can, however, control turnovers and execution. In a close and evenly-matched game, as this was, a turnover for a touchdown is a killer. You can't do that or the chances of you losing are very big in a game like this. The team that turns the ball over the least is usually, not always, but usually, the team that wins. And if that turnover results in points, you are already behind the eight ball.
Also, Jalen Hurts was their leading rusher. You need more production out of your backfield if you want to win. They put this game all on Jalen Hurts, who is also the one who fumbled for the touchdown. You take care of the ball and the bad call doesn't matter. You control what you can control.

You can point to the last drive where they let them drive right down the field. The call sucked, but I had no issue with it.
I think that type of play should be called as it is in hockey, soccer and basketball. I also hated the call but I understood it. But it shouldn’t be called unless it prevented Juju from getting to the ball or creating separation. I didn’t see the grab if the shirt accomplishing that.

I think that type of play should be called as it is in hockey, soccer and basketball. I also hated the call but I understood it. But it shouldn’t be called unless it prevented Juju from getting to the ball or creating separation. I didn’t see the grab if the shirt accomplishing that.
Problem was it was a hold and not PI.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm

1) If it's right "by the letter of the law", personally I want it called every time, and yes, even if it means that the game is decided by the refs. IMO that's better than NHL-style "let the players decide" as the refs swallow their whistles" and the goons from Ontario and Manitoba smash the crap out of the GOOD PLAYERS like Mario and Sid.

2) As for "backing into a championship", people said that when the Steelers won vs. Seattle, my reply was to just laugh and say, "I'm very happy they cheated for us and stole the game from the Seahawks :) "

This is the wrong attitude, that the game must have some fantastical, dramatic climax, when it's just as valid to end it on ticky tacky call, as long as it's by the letter of the law.

The ref who was closest to the “penalty” didn’t make the call. It came from the ref in the end zone a few seconds later. That’s the issue. If he caught it, would he have still thrown the flag? It was thrown late.

Even if they don't throw that flag, they kick the FG anyways and there's no guarantee Philly scores again in a minute.

I think those other sports should call all legit fouls no matter the situation, like if it's 3-3 with 3:00 left in the Stanley Cup Final Game 7 and Crosby or Ovie are tripped and it's a legit penalty, power play should be awarded as if it was game 7 of the season in October.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Even if they don't throw that flag, they kick the FG anyways and there's no guarantee Philly scores again in a minute.
But that chance was removed. If the flag isn’t thrown, the Chiefs kick a FG and the Eagles get a chance to score a TD or kick a FG and go to OT.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
But that chance was removed. If the flag isn’t thrown, the Chiefs kick a FG and the Eagles get a chance to score a TD or kick a FG and go to OT.
Sucks for Philly fans.

But they should have scored more points.

Reactions: Joegap
By the way, what were the Eagles doing on that last play? The pass was thrown to no one. They would have been better off trying the lateral play on the kickoff.

But if it's a legit penalty by the letter of the law, then Philly shouldn't get a chance so we can have more dramatic TV endings.

What struck me is that both of those teams played terrible defense. Guys grab a receiver like that when they know they’re getting beat. I believe KC scored on every possession in the second half. How does an NFL team allow that?
These days, it's more important to have a powerful offense. Steelers need to move into the 21st century.

You can score all the points you want but if your defense can’t get a stop or two you’ll lose those games.
But if you get a stop or two and win 38-35, it's more about the offense getting the 38 points, than the defense getting a stop or two to "hold them to 35". Maybe the Steelers could hold KC to 28, but lose 28-13, because the offense is too impotent because they think defense matters more.

The Eagles only scored 11 points in the 2nd half after 24 in first that is why they lost. They couldn't stop Mahomes and hats off to KC defense as they shut them down to give Mahomes a chance.

Reactions: pittdan77
But if you get a stop or two and win 38-35, it's more about the offense getting the 38 points, than the defense getting a stop or two to "hold them to 35". Maybe the Steelers could hold KC to 28, but lose 28-13, because the offense is too impotent because they think defense matters more.
The Steelers have nothing to do with this. You can score all the points you want but you have to get stops. KC did get stops. Eagles scored 10 points in the second half and gave up 24. KC won because the Eagles couldn’t play defense.

The Steelers have nothing to do with this. You can score all the points you want but you have to get stops. KC did get stops. Eagles scored 10 points in the second half and gave up 24. KC won because the Eagles couldn’t play defense.
BUT YOU HAVE TO A SCORE A TON OF POINTS to win with "just a couple of stops", in a 38-35 game SCORING is more important than stops, unless you can pile up TDs making 2 stops in 10 drives won't matter.

Defense wins championships. Even in todays NFL where rules are made for teams to score 30 points.

Giving up 24 (could have been 28 without kneel down by McKinnon) in the 2nd half, decides championships. Best QB Philly played all year was Dak. They got lucky SF had no QB's. Got to beat the best to win Super Bowls.

Confidant Burrows or Josh Allen would have done same to that overrated D. Dak lit them up as well...

Defense wins championships. Even in todays NFL where rules are made for teams to score 30 points.
But you still need to score THIRTY OR MORE yourself, it's so ridiculous to downplay the importance of OFFENSE and SCORING. If the rules are made to score 30 or more, then that makes offense even more important, you can't be one of the teams scoring 17 or 20 and expect to go far, the margin of error for the defense is too much if your offense isn't potent.

You can't have 2 major blunders In a SB-fumble td and huge punt return. Also sirianni got horribly outcoached in 2nd.

Reactions: Parkview57
You can't have 2 major blunders In a SB-fumble td and huge punt return. Also sirianni got horribly outcoached in 2nd.

I thought that punt was a short, line drive of a kick. Philly looked like the better team to me, but yeah - can't be making those types of plays.

Hurts throwing the pass he did before the field goal at the end of the first half was also dumb and took away any shot they had at a touchdown. And then I'm also not sure why - with six seconds left - they didn't try hitting a ten yard out and getting the ball to a spot where Hurts could throw it into the end zone. You never know with AJ Brown and company.

You do know that if that penalty wasn't called the Chiefs were kicking a field goal anyway don't you? Why do people have to manufacture controversy about everything. The Eagles got beat in the second half, period.

But you still need to score THIRTY OR MORE yourself, it's so ridiculous to downplay the importance of OFFENSE and SCORING. If the rules are made to score 30 or more, then that makes offense even more important, you can't be one of the teams scoring 17 or 20 and expect to go far, the margin of error for the defense is too much if your offense isn't potent.
College is the same way now. Saban adjusted. Got to open up offense and throw morevthan run and put up a 30+ number. But your defense still needs to make some key stops. Philly did not.

Schedule is rotating but Phiily landed NFC North and AFC South plus their own conference. Rodgers and Dak lit them up. Others have limits at QB...Tenn, Indy, Hou, Jax, Chi, Det, NYG, Wash. Playoffs NYG and SF with nonhealthyvQB. Overrated defense exploited and cost them Suoer Bowl.

Last edited:
I’m happy Philadelphia got crushed, and they deserved to lose for the awful punt return and Hurts fumble (Sanders was a fumble as well and should have been another Td).

But that end call was very weak sauce. The DB is admirable to fall on the sword but he likely did it out of immense feeling of guilt. Needlessly so It was a hand check, not even a grab. If he did get jersey it was inadvertent and didn’t impede. And the pass was well overthrown and wouldn’t have been completed even with no contact. Once the ref saw it was a bad pass, it should have particularly been not called or picked up. Just a bad call but fitting to decide the biggest game that way, given how terrible officiating is in general.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I’m happy Philadelphia got crushed, and they deserved to lose for the awful punt return and Hurts fumble (Sanders was a fumble as well and should have been another Td).

But that end call was very weak sauce. The DB is admirable to fall on the sword but he likely did it out of immense feeling of guilt. Needlessly so It was a hand check, not even a grab. If he did get jersey it was inadvertent and didn’t impede. And the pass was well overthrown and wouldn’t have been completed even with no contact. Once the ref saw it was a bad pass, it should have particularly been not called or picked up. Just a bad call but fitting to decide the biggest game that way, given how terrible officiating is in general.
Bingo. Except for the Sanders fumble. It was the right call but he was very lucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT