ADVERTISEMENT

Penalty and kick decides the winner again

The biggest surprise to me in the game was the lack of sacks. Only one was called and it really was the QB running out of bounds 1 yard before the LOS. The OLs really played very well on both teams.

I’m happy Philadelphia got crushed, and they deserved to lose for the awful punt return and Hurts fumble (Sanders was a fumble as well and should have been another Td).

But that end call was very weak sauce. The DB is admirable to fall on the sword but he likely did it out of immense feeling of guilt. Needlessly so It was a hand check, not even a grab. If he did get jersey it was inadvertent and didn’t impede. And the pass was well overthrown and wouldn’t have been completed even with no contact. Once the ref saw it was a bad pass, it should have particularly been not called or picked up. Just a bad call but fitting to decide the biggest game that way, given how terrible officiating is in general.

That's the part I take most issue with. It was like bailing an off-balance fade away 3-pointer out with one second left on the shot clock. The pass simply wasn't going to be complete. JJS and Mahomes appeared to be on completely different pages as to angle and whatnot once the play broke down. Would have liked to have seen the refs exert a little discretion in that moment.

I realize we can’t know if ignoring that call would result in a positive play or a td for the chiefs, but isn’t “swallowing the whistle” impacting the game too?

Reactions: rpastir
I think that type of play should be called as it is in hockey, soccer and basketball. I also hated the call but I understood it. But it shouldn’t be called unless it prevented Juju from getting to the ball or creating separation. I didn’t see the grab if the shirt accomplishing that.
The grab and hold absolutely prevented a TD. It was definitely a penalty and a smart one for the DB to take under the circumstances. DB was beat and it was a timing route, just a little grab and hold and the timing is destroyed. So not sure what fans watching the game would prefer to see, the easy TD or the penalty enabling the Chiefs to use more clock before the winning score. I suppose if you're an Eagles fan using hindsight, the easy TD would have been better because the Eagles would have had some time to score. If you're the DB covering JuJu, you can't and wouldn't be thinking like a fan with hindsight. Your only job is to prevent the TD any way you can. Either way, it's all a legit part of the game.

The grab and hold absolutely prevented a TD. It was definitely a penalty and a smart one for the DB to take under the circumstances. DB was beat and it was a timing route, just a little grab and hold and the timing is destroyed. So not sure what fans watching the game would prefer to see, the easy TD or the penalty enabling the Chiefs to use more clock before the winning score. I suppose if you're an Eagles fan using hindsight, the easy TD would have been better because the Eagles would have had some time to score. If you're the DB covering JuJu, you can't and wouldn't be thinking like a fan with hindsight. Your only job is to prevent the TD any way you can. Either way, it's all a legit part of the game.
I just don’t see it that way at all. Yeah the chiefs lobbied for a penalty, but I don’t think there would be more than 10 people in the world complaining if it wasn’t called. He didn’t impede him and prevent Juju from the separation needed to catch that pass.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
College is the same way now. Saban adjusted. Got to open up offense and throw morevthan run and put up a 30+ number. But your defense still needs to make some key stops. Philly did not.

Schedule is rotating but Phiily landed NFC North and AFC South plus their own conference. Rodgers and Dak lit them up. Others have limits at QB...Tenn, Indy, Hou, Jax, Chi, Det, NYG, Wash. Playoffs NYG and SF with nonhealthyvQB. Overrated defense exploited and cost them Suoer Bowl.
So, you can't JUST say "Defense Wins Championships" Because if you make those key stops, but still lose 35-17, then you lost because your offense can't keep up.

Anyone outside of Philly have a problem with the world championship being decided by a penalty and a chip shot kick?

I hated the call, but by the letter of the law it was the right call.

Didn’t KC win two weeks ago the same way?

What a way to back door their way into a championship.

I hate to see NFL games go to PK's. College games, ok, because the kickers arent as good but for the guys that rip soccer, KC legitimately stopped playing to play for the PK. I dont blame them. Good strategy but it flies in the face of macho American sports. Great game, first and goal from the 2. Let's quit and and decide the game on a penalty kick

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I suppose you think the Chiefs won because they made a couple of stops in the 2nd half? It had nothing to do with scoring 24 points right? Mybe if they had the Steelers offense they make the same stops, score 13 points at best and lose 35-27? Without the scoring ability do the stops win the game?

I hate to see NFL games go to PK's. College games, ok, because the kickers arent as good but for the guys that rip soccer, KC legitimately stopped playing to play for the PK. I dont blame them. Good strategy but it flies in the face of macho American sports. Great game, first and goal from the 2. Let's quit and and decide the game on a penalty kick
It would have been funny if the FG was blocked, since the KC RB had the walk in TD and gave it up.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Juju doesn't score with the hold. My understanding is even if there was some hold the ball was well overthrown.

Juju doesn't score with the hold. My understanding is even if there was some hold the ball was well overthrown.
I'm pretty sure a hold occurs before the ball is in the air. So the throw/overthrow has nothing to do with it.

Here I am months later, I'm still mad about the picked up flag for holding in the Pitt-Tennessee game. Eagles wish they had some SEC refs.

Last edited:
Reactions: FordhamIII
I think that type of play should be called as it is in hockey, soccer and basketball. I also hated the call but I understood it. But it shouldn’t be called unless it prevented Juju from getting to the ball or creating separation. I didn’t see the grab if the shirt accomplishing that.

Maybe it's just me, but I think holding someone does restrict their ability to create separation. But I'm sure there wouldn't be any controversy if JuJu had done his part more convincingly. I mean, I definitely feel cheated by his lack of effort. If he had fell to the ground immediatly and writhed around while holding his back as if Bradbrerry had knifed him, then I'm sure we could all agree there was a penalty.

I suppose you think the Chiefs won because they made a couple of stops in the 2nd half? It had nothing to do with scoring 24 points right? Mybe if they had the Steelers offense they make the same stops, score 13 points at best and lose 35-27? Without the scoring ability do the stops win the game?
It's almost like you think what an offense does is not affected at all by the performance of the other team's defense.

It's almost like you think what an offense does is not affected at all by the performance of the other team's defense.
It's almost like you think what a defense does is not affected at all by the performance of the other team's offense.

Maybe it's just me, but I think holding someone does restrict their ability to create separation. But I'm sure there wouldn't be any controversy if JuJu had done his part more convincingly. I mean, I definitely feel cheated by his lack of effort. If he had fell to the ground immediatly and writhed around while holding his back as if Bradbrerry had knifed him, then I'm sure we could all agree there was a penalty.
Yeah I agree. But Juju and NFL receivers have never ever ever been one for ridiculous theatrics. He got the call anyway.

I'm not the one screaming that the offense is all that matters. I don't feel like you're accounting for the effort of the eleven guys trying to stop them.
I'm not saying the offense is all that matters! I didn't say "Offense Wins Championships:, you said Defense does, in todays game, I don't think it's fair to an offense that scored 38 points to tell them the D won it and not them.

It would be so awful if nfl wrs flopped like soccer players.

I just don’t see it that way at all. Yeah the chiefs lobbied for a penalty, but I don’t think there would be more than 10 people in the world complaining if it wasn’t called. He didn’t impede him and prevent Juju from the separation needed to catch that pass.
This is the correct response. That pass had no chance to be completed, unless possibly it had been an all world sprinter with crazy speed, which JJSS definitely lacks. It was guaranteed incomplete. The refs should have definitely called a penalty for something that was a slam dunk TD that it prevented. But this was not. They should have had better sense of what they had there. A slow receiver not impeded in the least and a pass that was essentially thrown away.

I really don’t care, I don’t bet, and I didn’t favor either team. In fact it’s amusing to see Philly fans so outraged. They are douche bags. But this largely spoiled what had been a fine game up to that point, possibly a classic if Hurts had been given the final opp they deserved. The NFL has people talking about it today (and not about their awful, awful field quality) which I suppose is all they really care about. But for posterity, it is just too bad.

Holding is called before pass is thrown. Ref reached for flag and throws without knowing how close the play is to being successful. 5 yard penalty. Ball does not even need thrown to JuJu, could have been thrown elsewhere or even a sack or a scramble. Is always called when shirt grabbed. This one was a minor grab and iffy.

Catchable only comes into play on pass interference which is called when ball in air and is a spot foul.

I'm not saying the offense is all that matters! I didn't say "Offense Wins Championships:, you said Defense does, in todays game, I don't think it's fair to an offense that scored 38 points to tell them the D won it and not them.
I said defense wins championships?

And I don't think anyone is saying that KC's defense won the game for them. Especially when the QB got the MVP. They sure as hell helped win it, didn't they?

Anyone outside of Philly have a problem with the world championship being decided by a penalty and a chip shot kick?

I hated the call, but by the letter of the law it was the right call.

Didn’t KC win two weeks ago the same way?

What a way to back door their way into a championship.
Of course not.

I guess he could have not committed a penalty, and gave up the TD. Then Philly would have had the chance to tie it

You're wrong. As another poster said, catchable only matters on a PI call. This was a defensive hold.

Take a look at the DB's right arm when JuJu starts his break. The hold was with the right hand. JuJu couldn't make his break to the outsiude where the ball was going. Classic hold. The left hand is on the back, so what. Seems some posters thought that left hand was the basis for the call. It wasn't. It was the right, and it was a significant hold.

But don't take it form me, take it from Bradberry:

“I was just trying to get some momentum going to go back with the wheel [route],” Bradberry acknowledged. “Of course I pulled on [Smith-Schuster’s] jersey, so they called it.”

Asked for his thought on the call, Bradberry offered a candid summary.

“I pulled the jersey, they called holding,” said Bradberry. “I was hoping they would let it ride, but it was a holding.”

And from an NFL ref:

“The receiver went to the inside, and he was attempting to release to the outside,” Cheffers explained. “The defender grabbed the jersey with his right hand and restricted him from releasing to the outside. So, therefore, we called defensive holding.”

You're wrong. As another poster said, catchable only matters on a PI call. This was a defensive hold.

Take a look at the DB's right arm when JuJu starts his break. The hold was with the right hand. JuJu couldn't make his break to the outsiude where the ball was going. Classic hold. The left hand is on the back, so what. Seems some posters thought that left hand was the basis for the call. It wasn't. It was the right, and it was a significant hold.

But don't take it form me, take it from Bradberry:

“I was just trying to get some momentum going to go back with the wheel [route],” Bradberry acknowledged. “Of course I pulled on [Smith-Schuster’s] jersey, so they called it.”

Asked for his thought on the call, Bradberry offered a candid summary.

“I pulled the jersey, they called holding,” said Bradberry. “I was hoping they would let it ride, but it was a holding.”

And from an NFL ref:

“The receiver went to the inside, and he was attempting to release to the outside,” Cheffers explained. “The defender grabbed the jersey with his right hand and restricted him from releasing to the outside. So, therefore, we called defensive holding.”
Fo1JLi6aAAAgPa7

Reactions: mike 301
I'm pretty sure a hold occurs before the ball is in the air. So the throw/overthrow has nothing to do with it.

Here I am months later, I'm still mad about the picked up flag for holding in the Pitt-Tennessee game. Eagles wish they had some SEC refs.
Where are the SEC Ref's when you need them..lol..they would have said Ju Ju stumbled on his own and picked up the flag.

A field goal for the game winner was fine.

The Chiefs dominated the second half and the Eagles defense couldn't get a stop. With that said, that was as weak of a defensive holding you'll see. JuJu's route was barely impacted and there was no chance he was going to catch the ball even without the minor hold.

I look at it like this. Would I be more mad if he call was made or not made? I was ticked the game ended on a soft call. If they didn't call it, I would've thought nothing of it because it had zero impact on the end result of the play.

Could have been a td. They chose to kick a fg and bleed the clock. Thems the rules.
My work buddy was on a 200$ block poll . Had they took it in and with the extra point for the final he would have hit for 10K ... Ouch !!

You can point to 100 things that happened that helped decide the game. And as I told Philly fan in another thread, KC won legitimately. Philly didn’t make enough plays.

It was just a terrible anti-climatic way to decide the world champion.
What exactly would you want the ref/league to do? I mean, it was a penalty, the Eagles player even said so. There is no issue. Also, the Super Bowl decides the champion of the NFL, not the world.

What exactly would you want the ref/league to do? I mean, it was a penalty, the Eagles player even said so. There is no issue. Also, the Super Bowl decides the champion of the NFL, not the world.
Yeah I always thought it was stupid that the NFL refers to the super bowl champion as the world champion. hence, yinzers are so very proud to be 6x world champions.

As as far as the NFL, it’s simple. If the player grabs the jersey but it doesn’t impact the play / impede the player, then don’t call it. It’s not brain surgery, it’s football, and it’s common sense. It’s ridiculous that their marquee event ended the way it did.

I said defense wins championships?

And I don't think anyone is saying that KC's defense won the game for them. Especially when the QB got the MVP. They sure as hell helped win it, didn't they?
So, we are in agreement then, offense is the MVP and if defense plays a little better than the other guys, they can aid in the victory.

It would be so awful if nfl wrs flopped like soccer players.
I'd coach all the WRs to do the flag throwing motion after every play to hopefully bait the ref into reflexively throw a flag.

1) If it's right "by the letter of the law", personally I want it called every time, and yes, even if it means that the game is decided by the refs. IMO that's better than NHL-style "let the players decide" as the refs swallow their whistles" and the goons from Ontario and Manitoba smash the crap out of the GOOD PLAYERS like Mario and Sid.

2) As for "backing into a championship", people said that when the Steelers won vs. Seattle, my reply was to just laugh and say, "I'm very happy they cheated for us and stole the game from the Seahawks :) "
It makes me very happy seeing Seahawks fans cry about that game to this day. It makes the win even more enjoyable when the losing team never gets over it

Yeah I always thought it was stupid that the NFL refers to the super bowl champion as the world champion. hence, yinzers are so very proud to be 6x world champions.

As as far as the NFL, it’s simple. If the player grabs the jersey but it doesn’t impact the play / impede the player, then don’t call it. It’s not brain surgery, it’s football, and it’s common sense. It’s ridiculous that their marquee event ended the way it did.
A fraction of a second is all you need to disrupt a timing route, and I don't know how you can assume it didn't impact the route. Not only does it slow the WR, it helps reverse the DB's momentum and allow him to continue harassing the WR out of the break. If he doesn't grab, he's not on JuJu coming out of that break.

You're advocating for more judgment calls and I don't think that's a good thing. The event ended the way it did because of the Philly DB, not the official.

Reactions: pittdan77

While I do agree to an extent that the way the game ended sucked, but what are you supposed to do as an official? These CB's/DB's are taught how "cheat" by their coaches. The teams even bring in officials to help support the techniques that they are teaching to grab/hold onto an opponent, so that the players know how far to go before a flag will be thrown. Problem with that is, it is all very subjective. What one official thinks is holding another may let go. I am willing to bet that there was a hold like the one at the end of the game (if not worse) on every offensive snap during the Super Bowl and it was not called. But again, as I said, what is an official to do?
Sadly a very entertaining Super Bowl ends in a very unsatisfying manner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT