ADVERTISEMENT

Penalty and kick decides the winner again

While I do agree to an extent that the way the game ended sucked, but what are you supposed to do as an official? These CB's/DB's are taught how "cheat" by their coaches. The teams even bring in officials to help support the techniques that they are teaching to grab/hold onto an opponent, so that the players know how far to go before a flag will be thrown. Problem with that is, it is all very subjective. What one official thinks is holding another may let go. I am willing to bet that there was a hold like the one at the end of the game (if not worse) on every offensive snap during the Super Bowl and it was not called. But again, as I said, what is an official to do?
Sadly a very entertaining Super Bowl ends in a very unsatisfying manner.
You bring up a good point. The official who threw the flag allowed it to happen the entire game. But then he called it in the end. Players need consistency. But I think the rule should be stated that if a player is not impeded, the flag shouldn’t be thrown. Juju’s break was never slowed down. Not in the slightest.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
What a dumb tweet. The flag was being thrown when JuJu was at the 10 yard line, and coincidentally when Mahomes throws the ball JuJu's way. It was already in the air before JuJu got to the ref. The flag was thrown exactly when it should have been thrown.

We have a clear hold, even admitted by the DB, and a ref who throws the flag when it's clear the hold directly affected the play. The official should be commended.

I said defense wins championships?

And I don't think anyone is saying that KC's defense won the game for them. Especially when the QB got the MVP. They sure as hell helped win it, didn't they?

What a dumb tweet. The flag was being thrown when JuJu was at the 10 yard line, and coincidentally when Mahomes throws the ball JuJu's way. It was already in the air before JuJu got to the ref. The flag was thrown exactly when it should have been thrown.

We have a clear hold, even admitted by the DB, and a ref who throws the flag when it's clear the hold directly affected the play. The official should be commended.
And add to that, you can clearly see JuJu is slowed by the hold, unless of course you don't want to see it.

A fraction of a second is all you need to disrupt a timing route, and I don't know how you can assume it didn't impact the route. Not only does it slow the WR, it helps reverse the DB's momentum and allow him to continue harassing the WR out of the break. If he doesn't grab, he's not on JuJu coming out of that break.

You're advocating for more judgment calls and I don't think that's a good thing. The event ended the way it did because of the Philly DB, not the official.
This is spot on. When the play calls for a route that ends outside and up and the ball to be in the air at the receiver's break, thrown to where the receiver will be, and the DB impedes/delays the out move with a grab, that's all it takes. Some people just seem to refuse to believe this, others still think the foul was the left hand on the back, which was incidental and had nothing to do with the call. The right almost looked like an arm bar to me, not just a jersey grab and pull.

I can't help but think that the question of whether the penalty should have been called doesn't deserve the amount of discussion it is getting.

The thinking of some is that a penalty shouldn't be called unless it is a bad enough penalty. Don't call a penalty unless a db lays out a receiver, not if he just does enough to disrupt his route.

Or, even better, don't call a penalty late in the game because that may decide the game against the team committing the penalty. But what about the team that the penalty was committed against? Not calling the penalty could decide the game against that team. Somehow the point of view of the team against which the penalty was committed is never taken into consideration.

Bradberry is being more objective than those who don't think the penalty should have been called. He said it was a penalty and he hoped the refs would let it slide. The refs wouldn't be doing what they were hired to do if they let it slide. A penalty was committed and they called it, as they should have.

Last edited:

The “hold” didn’t impact the play. Please describe at what point in the frame Juju was slowed down and prevented from running his route. And maybe just maybe the player was simply showing accountability when he takes blame? He’s acting admirably.

There wasn’t even the slightest of hesitation created by the hold. If you photoshopped the defender out of the frame, you’d see Juju run the same route, at the same speed, and with the same break without thinking twice.

And add to that, you can clearly see JuJu is slowed by the hold, unless of course you don't want to see it.
Clearly? Really? I don’t see it in the slightest and I was rooting for a TD in that point in the game because I needed more points scored.

People want it to be like the NHL, let people foul, to make the game more dramatic.

The “hold” didn’t impact the play. Please describe at what point in the frame Juju was slowed down and prevented from running his route. And maybe just maybe the player was simply showing accountability when he takes blame? He’s acting admirably.

There wasn’t even the slightest of hesitation created by the hold. If you photoshopped the defender out of the frame, you’d see Juju run the same route, at the same speed, and with the same break without thinking twice.
He grabbed his jersey and then hooked his arm. How can anyone quantify the impact? There's a reason DBs who are beat grab jerseys and hook arms.

So how much did you lose on the Eagles?

He grabbed his jersey and then hooked his arm. How can anyone quantify the impact? There's a reason DBs who are beat grab jerseys and hook arms.

So how much did you lose on the Eagles?
I was afraid to bet a winner because I didn’t have a clue who would win. I did an alternate over under for over 77.5. I wanted points.

I was afraid to bet a winner because I didn’t have a clue who would win. I did an alternate over under for over 77.5. I wanted points.
Pregame? That had to be pushing nice odds.

I had over pregame at 50.5 and took it again in-game late 2nd quarter or so at 63. Did not bet the game prior, but jumped on KC also late 2nd quarter +7.5. Hit Mahomes over rushing and Kelce over receiving yards. Missed a 5 bet same game parlay because Mahomes didn't go over 225 yards passing. Also lost a couple long odd props.

Pregame? That had to be pushing nice odds.

I had over pregame at 50.5 and took it again in-game late 2nd quarter or so at 63. Did not bet the game prior, but jumped on KC also late 2nd quarter +7.5. Hit Mahomes over rushing and Kelce over receiving yards. Missed a 5 bet same game parlay because Mahomes didn't go over 225 yards passing. Also lost a couple long odd props.
Yeah it’s why I never win. I place a small amount on stretch bets with big returns. I went the whole football season without winning once.

The thinking of some is that a penalty shouldn't be called unless it is a bad enough penalty. Don't call a penalty unless a db lays out a receiver, not if he just does enough to disrupt his route.

Or, even better, don't call a penalty late in the game because that may decide the game against the team committing the penalty.
Or best of all (and I quote the SEC refs), don't call a hold if "the receiver is already going to the ground."

To me, parlays seem like sucker bets. The more layers you stack on, the higher the odds of one thing going wrong.
They tempt people with big payoffs, but they know what they're doing.
In the final analysis, It's all math.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT