ADVERTISEMENT

Pennstating

I didn't see it since I was at the Pitt game, but I've seen people say one and others say two. If they only had one then Penn State could have run the clock out. If they had two then Penn State couldn't have run the clock out by kneeling on it three times. But since Indiana let them go all they would have had to have done was run to the first down line and then fall down, and then they could have run the clock out.
IU had one timeout. I figured the game was over and turned to another game. I was hoping PS would score since that was IU’s only shot but figured Frankin wouldn’t be that dumb. I was wrong.

IU had one timeout. I figured the game was over and turned to another game. I was hoping PS would score since that was IU’s only shot but figured Frankin wouldn’t be that dumb. I was wrong.

As we were getting up from our seats I saw on the phone that Indiana got sacked on 1st and 2nd downs. Ducked into the restroom and on the way out saw they threw incomplete passes on 3rd and 4th downs. Never bothered to look at the phone again and didn't even try to find it on SiriusXM in the car, because we just assumed it was over.

One wife of the guys who went with me to the game went to Penn State undergrad and Pitt for grad school. So she's a big Penn State football fan. I texted him when I got home and saw the score that we should have listened to the end on the radio in the car. He texted me back that when he got home he saw the score and said to his wife that must be wrong, there's no way they lost that game. Needless to say, she was not pleased.

He could have knelt down right off the bat. Indiana only had one timeout left. There was 1 :46 left on the clock so even with Indiana stopping it one time PSU could have burned out the remaining time. Clearly Indiana didn’t attempt to tackle the PSU running back. That’s a smart IU coach because letting them score was the only way he could have a chance to tie being down by 8. As for the PSU running back I wouldn’t blame him as it’s not natural to be thinking fall down when you are sprinting close to paydirt. I blame the arrogant PSU coach and the fact that their defense didn’t make a single play from that point on thru overtime.
PSU coaches were screaming for the RB not to score. The back actually stopped, but he had already crossed the line when he stopped. TOO LATE!!!!!

Sure, but the time to be screaming at the players to not score was BEFORE you ran the play, not right in the middle of it.

And in any event, if Indiana only had one time out left then they shouldn't have been running any play at all.
Exactly! A good coach would have made the message crystal clear BEFORE the play.

I don't watch the peds, but good to see them lose. Sadly they will get a lot more notoriety this year than PITT. If that dude could coach as well as he recruits they may have another NC under their belts.

Worse than the Doozie?
Lots of other things go into making a good hc in college. Actual x's and o's is only the start. Franklin is a excellent recruiter he has consistently pulled in classes that are better than what they were typically pulling in even in paternos good years. He also has put some good coaches around him, but from a pure x's and o's stand point franklin isnt very good. He was never a expert on one side of the ball like many coaches he is more of a ceo type of coach which is fine at a football factory like psu because they can pay assistants top dollar

I don't watch the peds, but good to see them lose. Sadly they will get a lot more notoriety this year than PITT. If that dude could coach as well as he recruits they may have another NC under their belts.
Likely to start 0-2 with Ohio State next and be out of any national conversation, so if you mean bad notoriety I agree. much like Oklahoma started top 10 this season and were out of the conversation as soon as they started playing

Likely to start 0-2 with Ohio State next and be out of any national conversation, so if you mean bad notoriety I agree. much like Oklahoma started top 10 this season and were out of the conversation as soon as they started playing
The flip side of that is if they beat OSU, they are back in the national title conversation. How many fans will be allowed in Beaver Stadium? Will Wolf magically say this week that, starting this weekend, "50% capacity will now be permitted"?

How do you know the quarterback didn’t tell him to not score?
Bottom line is you as a coach take it out of their hands at that point. If you can take a knee and have them at 15 seconds and no time out from their own 15 you do it. You don't take a chance that someone didn't get the memo or that he stops at the two and gets pushed in. There is no reason to run a play as the chances of indiana getting fg were probably 1 in a thousand or worse.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
no I get that and I do blame this on the coach.

Bottom line is you as a coach take it out of their hands at that point. If you can take a knee and have them at 15 seconds and no time out from their own 15 you do it. You don't take a chance that someone didn't get the memo or that he stops at the two and gets pushed in. There is no reason to run a play as the chances of indiana getting fg were probably 1 in a thousand or worse.

Also running it there opens up the possibility of a fumble. I don't know the actual time on the clock or timeouts I am assuming since know one corrected the poster who said they could have taken a knee and had 15 seconds left that he is correct if that's the case I don't run a play and if I did it would be with the qb or a experienced player not a fr rb. That guy has probably scored like that hundreds of times sometimes it's hard not to be on auto pilot.

Why run the ball, though, if you do not want to score? Just have the qb take a knee. Running the ball also opens the possibility of a fumble.

thats it they shouldn’t have. Coulda snapped the call waited a few seconds and kneed it and game over

Big Ten has already said No Fans regardless of what the governors say

Technically that's not quite what they have said. They are allowing families of the players of both teams to be there. So, for instance, at the Ohio State - Nebraska game on Saturday there were something like 1300 people there. A couple of the other places had around 1000. So it certainly isn't a lot (especially in some of those stadiums) but they are allowing at least some fans.

Technically that's not quite what they have said. They are allowing families of the players of both teams to be there. So, for instance, at the Ohio State - Nebraska game on Saturday there were something like 1300 people there. A couple of the other places had around 1000. So it certainly isn't a lot (especially in some of those stadiums) but they are allowing at least some fans.
Yes, I forgot about that.

There will be a lot of third cousins at the game 😁

It was an egg which locally they seem to have teflon, but beat OSU and their back in it.

Don’t you think you’d expect more than this in year 7? 😂😂

Im watching with 2 osu grads. You should see them yelling about that roughing the passer call that gave ups 3 points there. I honestly can’t believe how bad ups looks with all those great recruits.

Don’t you think you’d expect more than this in year 7? 😂😂

Im watching with 2 osu grads. You should see them yelling about that roughing the passer call that gave ups 3 points there. I honestly can’t believe how bad ups looks with all those great recruits.
I have a feeling you just jinxed the game.

The game should be over already. The ref gave PS a roughing the passer call on 3rd down and the OSU guy dropped an easy TD. Franklin made a terrible call going for it on 4th and 2 in his own territory.

PS was completely disorganized on a big 3rd down. A good coach calls a timeout. Franklin did nothing and Ohio St scored a TD.

The officials gave PS 6 points. The roughing the passer gift and the end of the half. Fields took a step back, paused, and then took a knee.

Refs are infallible according to this board, I don’t know what you’re talking about 😂

seriously though why wouldn’t osu just throw a Hail Mary

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT