ADVERTISEMENT

Pens must do the most difficult but right thing to do and trade Crosby

wolf0717

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2009
This group has had many glory days but they are over. The Penguins won't but the best way to move forward is to trade Sidney Crosby. Especially a Canadian team would drool over the marketing bonanza he would bring. Watching him get beat tonight up the ice twice by a faster Islander is so sad. He still can make great plays but they are mostly in the regular season. Over the last few seasons he has been non-existent in the playoffs. Still he has market value and in 2 years he won't. Like I said the Penguins won't do this, but they should if they want to make forward progress.

They've already stated that the core will end their days in PGH. Is that in stone? I guess if someone is stupid enough to make a big offer, the Pens might bite but lets face it, Gino and Letang aren't all-stars anymore and in most roles, they might not even be above average. Crosby would be an outstanding 3rd line center and is still a decent top liner but no longer is a dynamic force. The best play IMO is to keep them all, trade the others with actual worth, trash these next 2-3 seasons and rebuild. Maybe, you could get enough talent to make a run in 3-4 years and Sid might still be a good role player and get a 4th cup.

These guys played hard for a long time. Its a shame they got stuck playing this stupid system their whole career but they made the most of it.

Crosby isn’t going anywhere. He’s still a great 2-way/200-foot player and as superstars go his cap hit is very low. No, his playoffs have been underwhelming the last 3 years, but he hasn’t lost anything off his game. Now, Malkin? Yeah that might make some sense.

They've already stated that the core will end their days in PGH. Is that in stone? I guess if someone is stupid enough to make a big offer, the Pens might bite but lets face it, Gino and Letang aren't all-stars anymore and in most roles, they might not even be above average. Crosby would be an outstanding 3rd line center and is still a decent top liner but no longer is a dynamic force. The best play IMO is to keep them all, trade the others with actual worth, trash these next 2-3 seasons and rebuild. Maybe, you could get enough talent to make a run in 3-4 years and Sid might still be a good role player and get a 4th cup.

These guys played hard for a long time. Its a shame they got stuck playing this stupid system their whole career but they made the most of it.
I dont watch hockey but Crosby a 3rd line Center and Malkin below average???

Where would Crosby and Malkin rank at their positions or in the NHL overall?

Reactions: jrozycki
This group has had many glory days but they are over. The Penguins won't but the best way to move forward is to trade Sidney Crosby. Especially a Canadian team would drool over the marketing bonanza he would bring. Watching him get beat tonight up the ice twice by a faster Islander is so sad. He still can make great plays but they are mostly in the regular season. Over the last few seasons he has been non-existent in the playoffs. Still he has market value and in 2 years he won't. Like I said the Penguins won't do this, but they should if they want to make forward progress.
I've been saying the exact same thing for the last three years. The penguins will never do it though because they do not want to upset their fan base. Most of the fans aren't penguins fans any way, they are Crosby fans.
Trade him to Montreal or Toronto, get 203 good players back. Malkin would flourish without having to play 2nd fiddle to Crosby.

Reactions: gary2
Crosby isn’t going anywhere. He’s still a great 2-way/200-foot player and as superstars go his cap hit is very low. No, his playoffs have been underwhelming the last 3 years, but he hasn’t lost anything off his game. Now, Malkin? Yeah that might make some sense.
Narratives die hard. Crosby -3 tonight, Geno even. The series numbers are similar. Some (or a lot) of this is on Sullivan, who never seemed to try to create better matchups. Time to accept it is over for the Sid/Geno Era.

Reactions: wolf0717
They need to trade a superstar but it ain’t Crosby. It’s Malkin. Even when Crosby doesn’t score he contributes greatly.

This is silly talk. They lost because of atrocious goaltending. Their skaters were great. The only thing they need to trade is for competent goaltending
Very silly talk when the guys they are trading all over the NHL have full "No Movement" clauses in their contracts. They can't be traded anywhere unless they agree to it.

Letang has a clause in his contract as well that severely limits where he could be traded, but he actually played very well in this series.

Narratives die hard. Crosby -3 tonight, Geno even. The series numbers are similar. Some (or a lot) of this is on Sullivan, who never seemed to try to create better matchups. Time to accept it is over for the Sid/Geno Era.

You nailed it , if you look at what both these guys have done to win cups the past 4 years , change the name on jersey , everyone would be running them both off especially at the salaries you pay both guys. You are not getting a good trade on investment anymore with these two. I love them both but if you can restock quick with talent for both these guys, Letang as well, send one or all three bye bye

Two things that need to change for the Pens to win a cup are a change in goal and to get bigger across the lines. It looked like ever Isle player was bigger than the Pens player they were playing against. Over a series the size difference takes its toll.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Two things that need to change for the Pens to win a cup are a change in goal and to get bigger across the lines. It looked like ever Isle player was bigger than the Pens player they were playing against. Over a series the size difference takes its toll.

I agree. If the league is going to regress back to Neanderthal hockey and not call interference and other obstructive penalties, the pens will have a difficult time advancing in the playoffs in the future. They don't need a goon mentality, but they need to add some size and weight

And that delusion is why the Penguins will keep going backward. Sid is far from a great player anymore and if you watch the playoffs the last few years you can see that clearly. The Islanders were skating past him constantly. He is terrible at faceoffs which often lead to scoring chances. I know he wont be traded, but if he could bring in a haul it could prevent a pre-Sid terrible Penguin team. If Gretzky can be moved, so should Sid be able to be moved. Father Time stands still for no one. Sentimental attachments rarely end well.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
You have to wonder if Mario's experience in playing only for the Pens has (will) colored his view as to how Sid and Geno should end their careers. I love the idea of them both only playing for the Pens, but it will come with a pretty high price. I remember the years after Jagr was traded and before MAF, Geno, Letang and Sid were drafted. I imagine we'll have another period like that. Of course, it's unlikely we come out the other side as well as we did then.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I've been saying the exact same thing for the last three years. The penguins will never do it though because they do not want to upset their fan base. Most of the fans aren't penguins fans any way, they are Crosby fans.
Trade him to Montreal or Toronto, get 203 good players back. Malkin would flourish without having to play 2nd fiddle to Crosby.
I know it would take a big offer to trade Crosby, but I just don't think anyone is going to offer 203 good players

And that delusion is why the Penguins will keep going backward. Sid is far from a great player anymore and if you watch the playoffs the last few years you can see that clearly. The Islanders were skating past him constantly. He is terrible at faceoffs which often lead to scoring chances. I know he wont be traded, but if he could bring in a haul it could prevent a pre-Sid terrible Penguin team. If Gretzky can be moved, so should Sid be able to be moved. Father Time stands still for no one. Sentimental attachments rarely end well.
Then why do you think they're going to get a bunch in return? Particularly when you consider he has a no movement clause, which basically makes him un-tradable. Why? Because he has to agree to the team he is traded to, which severely limits the options and reduces the trade value.

This without even considering he's taken less money his entire career to help them field a competitive team. Oh, and he also helped them win 3 cups and play in 4 finals after raising them out of the NHL basement. He will retire a Penguin.

For every Gretzky analogy, there is a Jagr analogy. It doesn't always work out. Gretzky was 27 when they traded him.

You can have Crosby, I will take Malkin.

Crosby never even lugs the puck. What star player never lugs the puck?

What was he doing out there tonight? playing to get 2 on 1s or 3 on 2s? He sure wasn’t trying to protect leads.
Maybe trying to score as many goals as possible because the way the goalie was playing, there was NO protecting leads?
If they were going to win this game, they were going to have to pile up a number of goals. No lead was safe, they were going to need enough to outlast Jarry's penchant for letting them in.
Just like the 5-4 game.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
If the Penguins played 82 games against Barry Trotz every year then ok, I might go along with it, but he is still an elite player who does things at both ends of the ice that very few do in the game. Plus, his salary cap hit is a huge value to the Penguins, especially compared to teams like Toronto have $40 million tied up in 4 players.

Crosby has a no movement clause. Not going anywhere unless he wants to, and I’m guessing he doesn’t want to. Geno:likewise; Letang: modified no trade clause. Very little wiggle room.

Maybe trying to score as many goals as possible because the way the goalie was playing, there was NO protecting leads?
If they were going to win this game, they were going to have to pile up a number of goals. No lead was safe, they were going to need enough to outlast Jarry's penchant for letting them in.
Just like the 5-4 game.
How the goalie is playing should not be a reason to abandon fundamental Hockey.

Trading odd man breaks with your goalie playing poorly benefits you how?

Let's just rinse and repeat year 5 and counting in 2022, hell let's keep Sid until he is 40! I mean he will pack the house , and his 41 year old buddy Geno can light it up, 1945 Pittsburgh in 2021

I dont watch hockey but Crosby a 3rd line Center and Malkin below average???

Where would Crosby and Malkin rank at their positions or in the NHL overall?
SMF ... Just another crap post by you, the world's dumbest poster.

Malkin took stupid penalties in one game. How about listing some specific examples for our edification?

Good lord, Malkin takes many stupid penalties over each season, do you watch the Pens? You are a troll or you know shit about nothing ! This season team played better when he wasn't in the line up in fact, and MALKIN is my favorite player on the Pens. As far as this playoffs, it's easier to count who played decent on the Pens, Malkin played ok, but Crosby and Malkin are SHELLS of themselves, you do understand that ?

Reactions: Dan1911
Good lord, Malkin takes many stupid penalties over each season, do you watch the Pens? You are a troll or you know shit about nothing !
I'm asking you to explain your bitching....which you seem incapable of doing......

Typical yinzer dope

Google - No trade clause

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT