ADVERTISEMENT

Pens: Pitt D1 Hockey?

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
DDauVE1XoAA3rlu.jpg

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ncaa-eyes-expansion-with-interest-from-illinois-pitt

The whole key is having a Pegula, and I'll believe that when I see it.

The other issue is where to practice, because there's no where to put a practice facility and it makes no sense to go out to the Lemieux complex in Cranberry. If the original location of the practice complex would have happened (on the footprint of the Civic Arena), maybe. Otherwise, I don't see how this happens. The sports we do have are struggling big time.

If Pitt has a Pegula for hockey, then a smart AD would say, "let me introduce you to Coach Narduzzi. He may have an idea where to put the $50 million you want to give us."

Just to play though, perhaps the Pens and CEC could give us the arena rent-free. So all we are spending money on is scholarships and ice time.

T&F is not a TV or spectator sport and we have no track. I'd say dump T&F and add spectator and TV sports like hockey and/or lacrosse. If you dumped T&F, you wouldn't need a Pegula for hockey.

Just for fun though, lets say the ACC starts the following hockey conference to add programming for its network and to help sell it in Massachusetts.

ND
BC
Pitt
Syr (who is convinced to add a program)
UConn
UMass
BU
Northeastern
Harvard
Yale
Brown
Cornell
Dartmouth
Princeton

4 ACC teams, 6 Ivy teams, 5 Boston-area teams if you include UMass

It seems like the "Pegula" is the Penguins organization or their ownership. There are a lot of things happening in terms of facilities planning right now, and it wouldn't surprise me if a hockey practice facility popped up in the 5 year plan.

Pegula gave $100 million but a lot of that was for the arena. So, lets say the Pens gave $20 million for establishment of men's and women's ice hockey. What would the Pens' break-even be? Attendance for Pitt basketball has been really bad. Even a really good Pitt hockey team would draw poorly besides a one-off event game against PSU or ND. They could never break even so I don't know why they'd donate.

It seems like the "Pegula" is the Penguins organization or their ownership. There are a lot of things happening in terms of facilities planning right now, and it wouldn't surprise me if a hockey practice facility popped up in the 5 year plan.

Well awesome if true, but also odd. Seems like an awful lot of money for a professional sports organization to put into something they aren't directly benefiting from. I wonder how much money they actually put into their own practice facility (vs UPMC)?

Last edited:

Well awesome if true, but also odd. How much money did they actually put into their own practice facility (vs UPMC)?

There is no way the Pens are donating $20 million or whatever so Pitt can run a non-revenue hockey program. Imagine the uproar from Pens fans? "You have Pitt $20 million, why didn't you spend it on this player or that player instead."

There is no way the Pens are donating $20 million or whatever so Pitt can run a non-revenue hockey program. Imagine the uproar from Pens fans? "You have Pitt $20 million, why didn't you spend it on this player or that player instead."

They have a salary cap in the NHL & the Penguins spend to the max every year. This isn't an either or situation. I'm not saying it'll ever get to the stage where it happens, but there is some smoke.

Reactions: HailToPitt71

They have a salary cap in the NHL & the Penguins spend to the max every year. This isn't an either or situation. I'm not saying it'll ever get to the stage where it happens, but there is some smoke.

If the Pens funded it, I'd be cool with that. If anyone else did, I'd consider it a Heather Lyke fail for not getting that money invested in football instead.

The Pens have the best team in the world, and pound for pound, maybe the best fanbase in the country for any pro sports team. I cant see what benefit they'd get out of a Pitt vs BC hockey game in front of 800 people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT