ADVERTISEMENT

Pick Your All-Time Big East/ACC Pitt Hoops Roster ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
Yes … yet another “Nostalgia Thread.”

This one was inspired by the introduction of the Panther Hoops Alumni Introduced at halftime tonight. Just like could be found in some of our past nostalgia threads, the introductions did indeed introduce Rich Carrigan and Herb Lake.

But there were some Panther greats there as well.

So I’d like my fellow Panther Lair posters to join me in selecting an “All Star Pitt Roster” from the Big East and ACC Eras.

The endgame with this thread is to determine what the PantherLair thinks is the BEST 13 man roster of Pitt All Star players beginning with the 1982-1983 season.

Here’s the rules …

1) From the list below (choosing anyone not on the lost really isn't legit) ... name your starting five. Your starting five doesn't need to stick to a "strict" 1-2-3-4-5 position format. For example, feel free to start three guards if you wish. Or a twin tower, two center look. Basically pick an actual starting five that you might start if you were the coach. I will award 5 points for everyone on your starting five.

2) Name your "second five" using the same rules as in point one. I will award 3 points for everyone on your second five.

3) Name three more players to fill out the final three scholarships on your roster. These last three don't have to follow any particular positions. Just three more players you'd want on your team if you were coach. Each of these three will get 1 point.

I will add up any entries and their points in about a week or so.

Points/Guards
George Allen
Curtis Aiken
Sean Miller
Jason Matthews
Jerry McCollough
Jason Maile
Andre Aldridge
Vonteego Cummings
Julius Page
Brandin Knight
Carl Krauser
Ron Ramon
Levance Fields
Jermaine Dixon
Ashton Gibbs
Brad Wanamaker
Tray Woodall
James Robinson
Marcus Carr
Trey McGowens
Xavier Johnson

Wings
Clyde Vaughan
Demetrius Gore
Rod Brookin
Darelle Porter
Orlando Antigua
Jarrett Lockhart
Chad Varga
Ricky Greer
Jaron Brown
Mike Cook
Sam Young
Gilbert Brown
Nasir Robinson
Cameron Wright
Lamar Patterson
Jamel Artis
Cameron Johnson
Jared Wilson Frame

Bigs
Charles Smith
Jerome Lane
Brian Shorter
Bobby Martin
Chris McNeal
Eric Mobley
Darin Morningstar
Chris Gant
Jaime Peterson
Mark Blount
Issac Hawkins
Chris Seabrooks
Donatas Zavackas
Ontario Lett
Chevy Troutman
Chris Taft
Levon Kendall
Aaron Gray
DeJuan Blair
Gary McGhee
Talib Zanna
Steven Adams
Mike Young

I’m younger, so here it goes.

1. Brandin Knight
2. Ashton Gibbs
3. Brad Wanamaker- I think he might be one of the most under appreciated pitt players ever especially considering how some in the fanbase said he was a d2 player after his first couple year. Lamar fits this bill also for me. Also, I notice brad isn’t on your list!
4. Chevy
5. Dejuan

I picked brad at the three over Sam simply for being, IMO, a bit stronger all around when considering defense, and also for his ability to facilitate. Chevy and Dejuan would be too much for any teamto handle in the front court.

1. Levance
2. Julius Page
3. Lamar Patterson
4. Sam young
5. Gary McGhee

Smaller more wing oriented, but the athleticism of Julius, Lamar, and Sam would be explosive IMO.

1. Mike cook- would love to know what that 2008 team could have done with him and levance healthy the whole year
2. Jaron Brown-best defensive player I remember at Pitt.
3. Xavier Johnson, simply because I think he could be better than everyone by the time he is done here.

The OP is an amazing cat. We all long for the Big East. Idk if Pitt will ever actually compete in the ACC. I dont have the time to read .

This one was inspired by the introduction of the Panther Hoops Alumni Introduced at halftime tonight. Just like could be found in some of our past nostalgia threads, the introductions did indeed introduce Rich Carrigan and Herb Lake.

So I’d like my fellow Panther Lair posters to join me in selecting an “All Star Pitt Roster” from the Big East and ACC Eras.

The endgame with this thread is to determine what the PantherLair thinks is the BEST 13 man roster of Pitt All Stat players beginning with the 1982-1983 season.

Here’s the rules …

1) From the list below (choosing anyone not on the lost really isn't legit) ... name your starting five. Your starting five doesn't need to stick to a "strict" 1-2-3-4-5 position format. For example, feel free to start three guards if you wish. Or a twin tower, two center look. Basically pick an actual starting five that you might start if you were the coach. I will award 5 points for everyone on your starting five.

2) Name your "second five" using the same rules as in point one. I will award 3 points for everyone on your second five.

3) Name three more players to fill out the final three scholarships on your roster. These last three don't have to follow any particular positions. Just three more players you'd want on your team if you were coach. Each of these three will get 1 point.

Points/Guards
George Allen
Curtis Aiken
Sean Miller
Jason Matthews
Jerry McCollough
Jason Maile
Julius Page
Brandin Knight
Carl Krauser
Ron Ramon
Levance Fields
Jermaine Dixon
Ashton Gibbs
Tray Woodall
James Robinson
Marcus Carr
Trey McGowens
Xavier Johnson

Wings
Clyde Vaughan
Demetrius Gore
Rod Brookin
Darelle Porter
Orlando Antigua
Jarrett Lockhart
Chad Varga
Ricky Greer
Jaron Brown
Mike Cook
Sam Young
Gilbert Brown
Nasir Robinson
Cameron Wright
Lamar Patterson
Jamel Artis
Cameron Johnson
Jared Wilson Frame

Bigs
Charles Smith
Jerome Lane
Brian Shorter
Bobby Martin
Chris McNeal
Eric Mobley
Darin Morningstar
Chris Gant
Jaime Peterson
Mark Blount
Issac Hawkins
Chris Seabrooks
Donatas Zavackas
Ontario Lett
Chevy Troutman
Chris Taft
Aaron Gray
DeJuan Blair
Gary McGhee
Talib Zanna
Steven Adams
Mike Young

Dt, I think you need to add brad Wanamaker. He should garner serious first team votes.

Dt, I think you need to add brad Wanamaker. He should garner serious first team votes.
Just a screw up on my part. Of course he should be on the list and I’ve fixed it

The endgame with this thread is to determine what the PantherLair thinks is the BEST 13 man roster of Pitt All Stat players beginning with the 1982-1983 season.

Here’s the rules …

Points/Guards
George Allen
Curtis Aiken
Sean Miller
Jason Matthews
Jerry McCollough
Jason Maile
Julius Page
Brandin Knight
Carl Krauser
Ron Ramon
Levance Fields
Jermaine Dixon
Ashton Gibbs
Brad Wanamaker
Tray Woodall
James Robinson
Marcus Carr
Trey McGowens
Xavier Johnson

Wings
Clyde Vaughan
Demetrius Gore
Rod Brookin
Darelle Porter
Orlando Antigua
Jarrett Lockhart
Chad Varga
Ricky Greer
Jaron Brown
Mike Cook
Sam Young
Gilbert Brown
Nasir Robinson
Cameron Wright
Lamar Patterson
Jamel Artis
Cameron Johnson
Jared Wilson Frame

Bigs
Charles Smith
Jerome Lane
Brian Shorter
Bobby Martin
Chris McNeal
Eric Mobley
Darin Morningstar
Chris Gant
Jaime Peterson
Mark Blount
Issac Hawkins
Chris Seabrooks
Donatas Zavackas
Ontario Lett
Chevy Troutman
Chris Taft
Aaron Gray
DeJuan Blair
Gary McGhee
Talib Zanna
Steven Adams
Mike Young
DeJuan Blair
Jerome Lane
Sam Young
Jason Matthews
Levance Fields

Charles Smith
Chevy Troutman
Clyde Vaughan
Ashton Gibbs
Brad Wanamaker

Jaron Brown
Lamar Patterson
Vonteego Cummings

Fields
Vonteego
Lane
Blair
Smith

Knight
Ashton
Greer
Chevy
Shorter

Miller
Vaughn
Sam Young

Starters:

1st team

Pg: Xavier Johnson
Pg: Brandin Knight
G/W: Brad Wanamaker
Pf: Charles Smith
C: Dejuan Blair

2nd team

Pg: Levance Fields
Pg: Carl Krauser
Wf: Sam Young
Wf: Jerome Lane
C: Steve Adams

Bench

Guard: Vonteego Cummings
Forward: Brian Shorter
Forward: Clyde Vaughn

To this day, Brad Wanamaker is the most underrated Panther ever. Gibbs couldnt shoot without him.

Steve Adams single handily impacted Pitts defense far more than any other player ever.

Only 2 players on the eligible list have their number retired. Brandin Knight and Charles Smith

Jerome Lane won the big east rebound title twice, Blair once

Clyde Vaughn won the Big East scoring title

Smith, Knight, and Blair won conference player of the year

Smith, Knight, Blair, and Young were voted by a minimum 1 media outlet as a 1st team all American

Gray and Fields were voted 3rd team all American by at least 1 outlet

Wanamaker. Krauser, and Gibbs were voted honorable mention all american

Xavier Johnson is the most impresive freshmen guard ever in Big East / Acc history for Pitt. He very much looks like the potential 2nd coming of Kemba Walker. If he played on the 2009, 2011, or any Pitt team 2002-2004 with talented juniors and seniors, his stats would look incredible right now.

Here’s the rules …

Points/Guards
George Allen
Curtis Aiken
Sean Miller
Jason Matthews
Jerry McCollough
Jason Maile
Julius Page
Brandin Knight
Carl Krauser
Ron Ramon
Levance Fields
Jermaine Dixon
Ashton Gibbs
Brad Wanamaker
Tray Woodall
James Robinson
Marcus Carr
Trey McGowens
Xavier Johnson

Wings
Clyde Vaughan
Demetrius Gore
Rod Brookin
Darelle Porter
Orlando Antigua
Jarrett Lockhart
Chad Varga
Ricky Greer
Jaron Brown
Mike Cook
Sam Young
Gilbert Brown
Nasir Robinson
Cameron Wright
Lamar Patterson
Jamel Artis
Cameron Johnson
Jared Wilson Frame

Bigs
Charles Smith
Jerome Lane
Brian Shorter
Bobby Martin
Chris McNeal
Eric Mobley
Darin Morningstar
Chris Gant
Jaime Peterson
Mark Blount
Issac Hawkins
Chris Seabrooks
Donatas Zavackas
Ontario Lett
Chevy Troutman
Chris Taft
Aaron Gray
DeJuan Blair
Gary McGhee
Talib Zanna
Steven Adams
Mike Young
Starters
Levance
Brad
Sam young
Zavackas
Steven Adams
Backups
Krauser
Lamar Patterson
Chevy
Charles Smith
Bench
Cam Johnson
Aaron gray
Trey mcgowens

Here’s the rules …

Points/Guards
George Allen
Curtis Aiken
Sean Miller
Jason Matthews
Jerry McCollough
Jason Maile
Julius Page
Brandin Knight
Carl Krauser
Ron Ramon
Levance Fields
Jermaine Dixon
Ashton Gibbs
Brad Wanamaker
Tray Woodall
James Robinson
Marcus Carr
Trey McGowens
Xavier Johnson

Wings
Clyde Vaughan
Demetrius Gore
Rod Brookin
Darelle Porter
Orlando Antigua
Jarrett Lockhart
Chad Varga
Ricky Greer
Jaron Brown
Mike Cook
Sam Young
Gilbert Brown
Nasir Robinson
Cameron Wright
Lamar Patterson
Jamel Artis
Cameron Johnson
Jared Wilson Frame

Bigs
Charles Smith
Jerome Lane
Brian Shorter
Bobby Martin
Chris McNeal
Eric Mobley
Darin Morningstar
Chris Gant
Jaime Peterson
Mark Blount
Issac Hawkins
Chris Seabrooks
Donatas Zavackas
Ontario Lett
Chevy Troutman
Chris Taft
Aaron Gray
DeJuan Blair
Gary McGhee
Talib Zanna
Steven Adams
Mike Young
Is this based strictly on college performance or are you factoring in the pros? For example, I would not have Adams if this were just college, but would if you are factoring in the pros.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Starting 5
Levance Fields
Clyde Vaughan
Sam Young
Dejuan Blair
Charles Smith

Second Team
Brandin Knight
Brad Wanamaker
Lamar Patterson
Jerome Lane
Aaron Gray

Last Three
Jason Matthews
Ricky Greer
Brian Shorter

The endgame with this thread is to determine what the PantherLair thinks is the BEST 13 man roster of Pitt All Star players beginning with the 1982-1983 season.

Here’s the rules …

Points/Guards
George Allen
Curtis Aiken
Sean Miller
Jason Matthews
Jerry McCollough
Jason Maile
Vonteego Cummings
Julius Page
Brandin Knight
Carl Krauser
Ron Ramon
Levance Fields
Jermaine Dixon
Ashton Gibbs
Brad Wanamaker
Tray Woodall
James Robinson
Marcus Carr
Trey McGowens
Xavier Johnson

Wings
Clyde Vaughan
Demetrius Gore
Rod Brookin
Darelle Porter
Orlando Antigua
Jarrett Lockhart
Chad Varga
Ricky Greer
Jaron Brown
Mike Cook
Sam Young
Gilbert Brown
Nasir Robinson
Cameron Wright
Lamar Patterson
Jamel Artis
Cameron Johnson
Jared Wilson Frame

Bigs
Charles Smith
Jerome Lane
Brian Shorter
Bobby Martin
Chris McNeal
Eric Mobley
Darin Morningstar
Chris Gant
Jaime Peterson
Mark Blount
Issac Hawkins
Chris Seabrooks
Donatas Zavackas
Ontario Lett
Chevy Troutman
Chris Taft
Aaron Gray
DeJuan Blair
Gary McGhee
Talib Zanna
Steven Adams
Mike Young
Kendall doesn't even make the list?

Knight, Krauser, Vaughan, Shorter, Blair

Miller, Gibbs, Young, Lane, Smith

Fields, Troutmann, Gray

The first five for reasons more than just talent

The second five talent based

Last three a mix of both

Last edited:
Kendall doesn't even make the list?

For what it's worth, I did have a criteria.

I started off thinking the list would just be players who were named all conference or honorable mention All-Conference.

But this left off some pretty good players (Curtis Aiken for one).

So then I expanded it to included all players who averaged double figures and a season or who were 1,000 point scorers.

Mark Blount and Steven Adams fell into neither category, but I included them because they were NBA picks.

This criteria left out players such as Kendall, and Antonio Graves (but I do need to add Andre Aldridge.)

But really Gary, you are quibbling about Levon Kendall? The only reason would you would bring him up is simply to be oppositional because he's not going to be on anyone's team.

I started off thinking the list would just be players who were named all conference or honorable mention All-Conference.

So then I expanded it to included all players who averaged double figures and a season or who were 1,000 point scorers.

Mark Blount and Steven Adams fell into neither category, but I included them because they were NBA picks.

This criteria left out players such as Kendall, and Antonio Graves (but I do need to add Andre Aldridge and Chris Gant.)

But really Gary, you are quibbling about Levon Kendall? The only reason would you would bring him up is simply to be oppositional because he's not going to be on anyone's team.
Don't need to make it any bigger than it is, but (and my memory could be wrong) I thought Kendall and Gray played together and successfully for a lot of games.

I don't think he would make anyone's 13, but to include (for example) Marcus Carr and not Kendall seems ....

Here we go again. I made a suggestion. It could be put aside with either this is the criteria or a just does not belong in my opinion, instead it is met with something totally unnecessary.

Innocent comment because he was a player I liked and felt he belonged on the list and..

Last edited:
Here we go again. I made a suggestion. It could be put aside with either a criteria or a just my judgement, instead it is met with something totally unnecessary.

Innocent comment because he was a player I liked and felt he belonged and..

Here we go again is right. DT nailed it. You fancy yourself as some type of provaceteur and go the opposite direction. I think it’s likely you don’t even believe some of the stuff you post. You’re the Skip Bayless of the PantherLair.

Here we go again. I made a suggestion. It could be put aside with either a criteria or a just my judgement, instead it is met with something totally unnecessary.

Innocent comment because he was a player I liked and felt he belonged and..
Write him in on your list
Or don’t participate
Sheesh

Here we go again is right. DT nailed it. You fancy yourself as some type of provaceteur and go the opposite direction. I think it’s likely you don’t even believe some of the stuff you post. You’re the Skip Bayless of the PantherLair.
Kendall played in 105 regular season games and started 75 for some pretty successful,tournament teams. His stats may not be overwhelming, but he was a big part of those teams and I believe deserves his place as a SMALL part of Pitt BB history. According to my memory more than, Carr, Seabrooks! Peterson, etc. some guys had one year, not a career, some guys who had stats on bad teams. Kendall contributed to good teams over more than one season.

Last edited:

This criteria left out players such as Kendall, and Antonio Graves (but I do need to add Andre Aldridge and Chris Gant.)

and Marcus Carr is going to be on anyone's team?

and Marcus Carr is going to be on anyone's team?
Kendall played in 105 regular season games and started 75 for some pretty successful,tournament teams. His stats may not be overwhelming, but he was a big part of those teams and I believe deserves his place as a SMALL part of Pitt BB history. According to my memory more than, Carr, Seabrooks! Peterson, etc. some guys had one year, not a career, some guys had stats on bad teams. Kendall contributed to good teams over more than one season.

Well that’s a bit of a different point with Carr Seabrooks and Peterson. If it’s “is anyone going to pick them” as a criteria I happen to agree FWIW. It’s all subjective of course but I don’t think a case can even be made for any of them.

And I’m not dumping on Kendall. Contributed as you said on some good teams. But in this context I don’t think he’s part of the discussion.

Reactions: gary2
I’d think you would pick him and Parker Stewart. If there was a coach option you’d probably pick stallings.
Look up Parker Stewart, then look up Chris Seabrooks. I will let YOU decide who belongs on any list.

Seabeooks can make the list because he’d order and eat two ultimate cheesesteaks at Uncle Sam’s
Sorry -
I did not want to rain on what should be a fun exercise. I made a suggestion on an additional to the list. I wish my suggestion had been handled differently.

Starters
Cummings
Matthews
Greer
C. smith
Blair

2nd
Knight
wannamaker
Vaghan
Shorter
Lane

bench
troutman
j. brown
s. young

Geez everyone ... the list was just a guide to help make picks. :rolleyes:
Geez is what I felt on your reaction to a suggestion. I found it unkind and not necessary.

Maybe even oppositional.

I did this before with a 12 man rotation. Basically i'd keep what I put below the same but add Vonteego.

PG - Brandin Knight
. i briefly tried to make an argument for sean miller but knight could carry a team if he needed too (and create his own offense), miller never could have. so i'd start knight but use miller frequently and not carry three point guards, because i'd always want one of these two on the floor.

SG - Julius Page. yeah, he couldn't shoot as well as jason matthews and curtis aiken was more talented. but julius was a lock down defender and jamie dixon is coaching this team, so he'd want julius out there. jason and curtis will come in as needed.

SF - Darelle Porter. maybe one of my more controversial picks. with miller, matthews, and aiken coming off the bench, i don't really need another "sixth man." so i'd start one. i'd rather have another smart player, good defender, and decent shooter who can guard a small forward or a third guard in three guard rotation teams. also, look in pitt's record books -- porter got steals and made shots.

PF - DeJuan Blair. jerome lane had a higher ceiling but blair was more consistent. you need your team to win night in and night out. blair was steady, effective, and always put in effort on both ends of the floor. an anchor of our highest ranked teams.

C - Charles Smith. no brainer that he has to start on this team. i'd argue he was the best pitt player of the big east era. probably also the co-captain with brandin. my bench will include a couple of big bodies for times where charles was too small, but i'd still start him in those games and move him to forward, which was his NBA position anyway.

Sixth man/back-up SG - Curtis Aiken Arguably should be starting.
Seventh man – Demetrius Gore
. All around scorer and baller, four year starter, utility man.
Shooting specialist - Jason Matthews. One of the best shooters in Big East history. Imagine him on a team with a real coach.
First big off the bench - Aaron Gray. Will play more minutes in games where Charles is out sized. He's a true old school back to the basket center, and every team should have one.
Back up power forward – Jerome Lane. Uniquely talented player, can be used to “go small” and run the court but still rebound. Chevy Troutman may have been more steady, but I already have Blair for that. Lane is too talented to waste, and could dribble and defend the perimeter better than Chevy.
Versatile scoring forward – Brian Shorter. 20 points a game his first two years before his mystery illness, shot 60% from the field as a freshman and 54% for his career. Maybe you can argue for Jaron Brown or Troutman again here, but Shorter was a supremely efficient player who deserves a chance to play for time traveling Jamie Dixon.
12th man – Chad Varga. Let's face it, your 12th man is going to be a cheer leading white guy with a good attitude. He's not going to get many minutes on a team this talentedM Has has a career as an inspirational speaker, and was way more athletic than my other thoughts here (Jason Maile, Donatas Zavackas, and coach Willard's son.) And if he did have to get into a game, he was a good rebounder, defender, shot blocker, and could mix it up if there was a brawl.

Head Coach - Jamie Dixon. no question here.
Assistant coach for defense – Ben Howland.
Assistants in charge of recruiting - Roy Chipman ($$) and John Calipari ($$$)
Director of basketball operations – Orlando Antigua. Almost put him on the team too.

Geez is what I felt on your reaction to a suggestion. I found it unkind and not necessary.

Maybe even oppositional.
Being oppositional is your thing. Embrace it! :)

I started watching Pitt basketball the year before we joined the Big East. This was a really tough thought experiment that only made sense to me with certain qualifications, so I had to establish some boudaries.

1) can dominate the modern ACC
2) each starting 5 must be a real team of complimentary players
3) starting 5's have to make sense defensively in modern ACC
4) bench players have clearly defined roles
5) pro careers don't matter, only college
6) many of our best were not ready immediately like Xavier is, so broke them up into classes - oriented towards a starting 5 with backups

Adams underclassman
Smith underclassman
Vaughn upperclassman
Wanamaker upperclassman
Xavier underclassman

This is more of a traditional Two Towers type team.
Adams was an unselfish monster defensively that didn't need touches.
The agile Smith could do everything.
Vaugh is the tough scrappy shooter that also crushed the boards.
Wanamaker would facilitate & shoot within a team oriented concept
Xavier would crush penetrating, dishing, & hitting wide open 3's.
Everyone played good defense and could run the floor as well as operate in a defined half court system. I didn't really learn basketball until Howland, Dixon, & the Internet. This lineup fits that learning.

Blair underclassman
Lane underclassman
Young upperclassman
Krauser upperclassman
Night upperclassman

Night would force them to play tough team D & fast fullcourt O.
Krauser plays under control next to Brandon.
Young runs & guns.
Lane rebounds, passes, runs, & breaks backboards.
Blair dominates the middle & along with Lane seriously ignites the fast beak.

Bench
Troutman underclassman
Shorter underclassman
Mathews upperclassman

Mathews bombs from outside.
Troutman does whatever is needed up front.
Shorter is your inside scorer.

With good coaching - this is a dominant NCAA champion type team. Could use a little better shooting from 3, but other team strengths more than make up for it.

Last edited:
I'm going strictly by what they were in college, which means that Steven Adams is on the outside looking in.

Starters:
Knight
Cummings
Vaughan
Smith
Blair

Backups:
Fields
Matthews
Young
Lane
Troutman

Bonus dudes:
Brown
Patterson
Greer

I think in another year or two Xavier Johnson is going to be on this list somewhere, but it's too early to put him on here yet.

Yeah, but he was all Canada and once scored 41 points in a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT