ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

I disagree with the "player people hope will be the savior of Pitt football" line .
That brand of hyperbole drives me batty. We don't need to be saved....we need excellence across all levels and NOT have our fortunes rise and fall on the play of one guy.
We need a program.
Not some once a decade supernova.
Well IMO he could be the best QB Pitt had since Dan Marino. If that turns out to be the case that's savior enough for me.

I disagree with the "player people hope will be the savior of Pitt football" line .
That brand of hyperbole drives me batty. We don't need to be saved....we need excellence across all levels and NOT have our fortunes rise and fall on the play of one guy.
We need a program.

Truth somewhere in the middle....

Agree that it’s not a situation where the team needs a savior, but we DO need a QB to be what we want to be.

Reactions: Musikprince
We need a program.
I completely agree with you on the hyperbole. Does it come out of ignorance or does it come out of malicious intent - a setup so if somehow Pickett falls short, the writer can revert to “there you go - same old Pitt”.

I don’t want negativity, I don’t want wild worshipful hyperbole. Just be factual.

Reactions: Saboteur
I'm not sure that even Marino was our best QB since Marino. I've been re-watching those early 80's games on youtube. His Senior year, he was as bad or worse than any recent QB and his first 2 years he was a solid to good part-timer. Sure, his sophomore year may have been the greatest year ever for a Pitt QB but Van Pelt had a better career and Gonzalas, Peterman, Rutherford and Palko all had singular seasons nearly as good or as good as Marino's Junior year. His legend is based on NFL numbers.

The last time I checked Pitt had 2 former QBs on NFL teams. The issue was that Pitt had 2 sub par local QBs playing for consecutive years. If you blanked those players from your memory, their names were Billy and Tino.

I'm not sure that even Marino was our best QB since Marino. I've been re-watching those early 80's games on youtube. His Senior year, he was as bad or worse than any recent QB and his first 2 years he was a solid to good part-timer. Sure, his sophomore year may have been the greatest year ever for a Pitt QB but Van Pelt had a better career and Gonzalas, Peterman, Rutherford and Palko all had singular seasons nearly as good or as good as Marino's Junior year. His legend is based on NFL numbers.
I absolutely agree with this.

Well most of us watched opposing QB's beat us and it always seemed to be single handedly...and late in the game...and weren't you all wishing we had a difference maker to level the field? I think it's our time.

Reactions: Celtsfan
We need a program.

Well, the one thing that can take a middling program like Pitt to big time, for a year or two is a QB

Reactions: Celtsfan
The last time I checked Pitt had 2 former QBs on NFL teams. The issue was that Pitt had 2 sub par local QBs playing for consecutive years. If you blanked those players from your memory, their names were Billy and Tino.

Billy Stull was as responsible for 10 wins in 2009 as any player on that team. He had an outstanding, all-conference senior year. You could look it up.

Pitt really needs good quarterback play but everything goes by the offensive line. Hope the wrs step up this year be nice if Mack can play this year. The defense looks very promising.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead

This may sound like a hot take, but there is some truth to it. In 1980 Pitt beats FSU with decent QB play, Marino threw 3 ints and I believe a couple fumbles

His SR year he was awful, Pitt probably goes undefeated that year if he played anywhere close to his potential

His Junior year was the year he threw 37 TD's. It is hard to compare "seasons" strictly on statistics between then and now. Football is so wide open anymore, same with NFL, look at the statistics from QB's in say 1980 vs now.

Getting a plus defense in place will "save" Pitt football. I have doubts that Pickett can surpass Nate Peterman's play as senior. Nate was a very good college QB but that team still needed a defense to win big.

We need a program.

This may sound like a hot take, but there is some truth to it. In 1980 Pitt beats FSU with decent QB play, Marino threw 3 ints and I believe a couple fumbles

His SR year he was awful, Pitt probably goes undefeated that year if he played anywhere close to his potential

Torrential rains. Better weather for running than throwing it. Easy to blame him for FSU loss; but, Marino probably would have had a much better game in dry weather. IMO, weather was major factor costing Pitt's pass happy offense that game.

Torrential rains. Better weather for running than throwing it. Easy to blame him for FSU loss; but, Marino probably would have had a much better game in dry weather. IMO, weather was major factor costing Pitt's pass happy offense that game.
And Bowden decided to run at Green in waves, NOT let him pursue.

Also a different era. QB play has evolved a lot, and probably made its biggest leap right when he went to the pros.

Why do people constantly repeat this? There weren't torrential downpours that year. I'm not necessarily blaming him for that loss, but his turnovers played a big role in the loss.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Why do people constantly repeat this? There weren't torrential downpours that year. I'm not necessarily blaming him for that loss, but his turnovers played a big role in the loss.
There was a hurricane in Florida. Did you watch the game. Sure looked like rain to me.

Billy Stull was as responsible for 10 wins in 2009 as any player on that team. He had an outstanding, all-conference senior year. You could look it up.
Pitt won despite Stull, not because of anything he did. Those teams had talent

There was a hurricane in Florida. Did you watch the game. Sure looked like rain to me.

Just double checked, knew I was right, checked YouTube no rain, read the synopsis from the 1981 media guide and it described it as hot and muggy no mention of rain.

This is such a myth that keeps getting repeated

We need a program.
That's the way we are set up, though. We are WAY behind on the talent curve.

This.

Been following Pitt football since 1972. The best Pitt QB in my opinion is Matt Cavanaugh. He was dangerous to the opposition. He was a good runner as well as a good passer. Marino had the greatest season as a Pitt QB in his junior year. Overall QB's like Peterman, Rutherford, Palko, Van Pelt and even Stull had better careers. Peterman is the best QB since Cavanaugh in my opinion.

Reactions: Saboteur
Marino may be the worst punter in Pitt history as well. How in the hell do you only average 26 yards a kick on that many attempts?

Marino wasn't a bad punter. If I recall, he had one really horrendous punt that went like 3 yards. Remember, all of his punts were quick-kicks usually on the opponents side of the field. Most of them that I recall ended up successfully being downed inside the ten. He had a knack for it. They weren't pretty but were effective.

I want to see two things from Kenny Panther

1) no stupid sacks

2) 3rd and 4....3rd and 5 or 6....run for the first down

That's it. That's all I ask of a true sophomore.

How many drives....from bostick.....to stull... to Tino...to Savage.....were killed because our QB was a statue?

Think about how many 3rd down conversions we failed on because we never had this option. Then.....consider if even one or two more third down WERE converted per game......how many more TDs or FGs we score?

I would suggest one more score a game....if a QB can run

Finally....go back and see how many games we lost by 7 or less over the past 10 years.

Peterman could run. Our offense kept drives going by converting third down. Under Nathan...we scored points.

Back to Kenny Panther:

No stupid sacks....make plays with your feet.

If he comes through on both of the above we have a chance at a 9 win season.

Pitt won despite Stull, not because of anything he did. Those teams had talent
Terribly ignorant statement. Stull had a great senior year. Really learned to throw a great deep ball, very little interceptions.

I just looked up he’s stats. 2600+ yards, 65% completion, he did have 8 ints which surprised me a bit but still very good season.

I want to see two things from Kenny Panther

1) no stupid sacks

2) 3rd and 4....3rd and 5 or 6....run for the first down

That's it. That's all I ask of a true sophomore.

How many drives....from bostick.....to stull... to Tino...to Savage.....were killed because our QB was a statue?

Think about how many 3rd down conversions we failed on because we never had this option. Then.....consider if even one or two more third down WERE converted per game......how many more TDs or FGs we score?

I would suggest one more score a game....if a QB can run

Finally....go back and see how many games we lost by 7 or less over the past 10 years.

Peterman could run. Our offense kept drives going by converting third down. Under Nathan...we scored points.

Back to Kenny Panther:

No stupid sacks....make plays with your feet.

If he comes through on both of the above we have a chance at a 9 win season.

this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT