ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates: Ironic Statement

the reason the Pirates have been averaging less than 70 wins isn't directly related to payroll.. that's a clueless statement. Look at how horrible they've done in the draft. Look at the years Littlefield butchered our top draft picks .. that's why they stunk before Cutch. Not because they wouldn't spend .. you don't buy young talent .. who just won the WS? Houston .. Altuve, Breman, Yordan, Tucker, Javier, Valdez.. all this young Pitching surrounded by big spending to supplement. Again, you don't buy your core unless your the dodgers or yankees .. everyone else has home grown studs .. something we haven't done well.. besides Cutch .. that's why the Cutch years were awesome.. my only gripe is that they didn't supplement enough, but they were a game away from making the NLCS so it's hard to be too upset about it.
So you're saying the Pirates might be paying more if they had better players? That's some groundbreaking stuff.

And you do buy young talent. You just do it by spending on your scouting and player development. Want good players? Get good scouts. Pirates just have a lot of scouts.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
So you're saying the Pirates might be paying more if they had better players? That's some groundbreaking stuff.

And you do buy young talent. You just do it by spending on your scouting and player development. Want good players? Get good scouts. Pirates just have a lot of scouts.

I don't disagree with scouting .. which they have increased. They've added facilities in the Dominican. They started spending more in the draft.

You have plenty of points for this argument for the Littlefield era .. not now. All you have is a baseless payroll argument.

All you have is a baseless payroll argument.
I mean, the payroll argument generally correlates across every sport in every corner of the planet. Even in leagues that have salary caps, cheap teams tend to lose. Six of the last ten WS winners were top ten spenders. The other four were top 20. The Pirates have spent, on average, in the bottom third of the league for the last thirty odd years and their success pretty much tracks. I don't really understand how anyone can deny that being at the bottom end just never works. Especially for a franchise that always retreats the minute its payroll approaches the middle-third.

You have plenty of points for this argument for the Littlefield era
Like the GM matters when you're trolling for DFA's and avoiding any player with a pulse in the FA market.

I mean, the payroll argument generally correlates across every sport in every corner of the planet. Even in leagues that have salary caps, cheap teams tend to lose. Six of the last ten WS winners were top ten spenders. The other four were top 20. The Pirates have spent, on average, in the bottom third of the league for the last thirty odd years and their success pretty much tracks. I don't really understand how anyone can deny that being at the bottom end just never works. Especially for a franchise that always retreats the minute its payroll approaches the middle-third.

Like the GM matters when you're trolling for DFA's and avoiding any player with a pulse in the FA market.

How the Reynolds situation is ultimately resolved will tell you a lot about where the Pirate's head is at.
He's a relatively young player acquired in a high visibility trade. The kind of move the Pirates or any other rebuilding club would make.
Now, if they are serious about actually building something, they have to step up and pay him. He is good enough that he is coveted by the Yankees, Blue Jays, Dodgers and Braves among others. If he's good enough for them, he's good enough for us!

If he'd accept a contract in the $115 million range for 7 years, that is reasonable in today's MLB world. If they don't do that, they deserve the scorn of fans and Nutting deserves every aspersion cast his way!

Reactions: pittdan77
His agent had to publicly shame them. I think we already know.
Well, it has been reported by numerous national outlets that they are back talking.
The Pirates have upped their offer over $100 million. Probably not enough yet, but at least they are talking.
If they get to $115 million and Reynolds doesn't take that, then it isn't on the Pirates at that point, and you have to get rid of him, and soon!

I don’t get why there’s argument over this, now or ever. It’s clear what Nutting is doing. There is no debate. He never had ever nor ever will spend out of the bottom 5. Let’s stop even debating that point. From there, there are two camps: one camp that just likes the baseball experience and doesn’t care that the Pirates will never be winners, and based on posts here, get downright annoyed that this is pointed out. And the other camp that wants a rooting interest, aka that they want their team to be competing at the same plane as the other teams, and gets downright annoyed at the “baseball experience” camp because they are enablers for the Nuttings.

This is how it is every year. Neither side really will get the other side no matter what.

It’s somewhat like Pitt football and basketball really. Two similar camps of the fanbase for those as well, never the twain shall meet…

Thank you. I always laugh when people say the Pirates are the worst run team in pro sports or that Nutting is the worst owner.

Nah man. Look outside western PA. Nutting is just cheap. There are lots of teams and owners that are cheap and scandal plagued. For all Nutting’s faults, he hasn’t pimped out cheerleaders or been forced to sell the team like Sarver or Sterling.

"When you compare him to sex traffickers and avowed racists, Bob Nutting is actually a good owner!"

The thing that bothers me about Pirates fans is when they compare our payroll to the Yankees.

Yeah, we're not the Yankees. No one thinks we are.

But did you know the Pirates have only outspent the Reds and Brewers a total of 3 times in the last 30+ seasons? If Nutting can't commit to spending on the same level as Cincinnati and Milwaukee, he shouldn't be an owner.

I don’t get why there’s argument over this, now or ever. It’s clear what Nutting is doing. There is no debate. He never had ever nor ever will spend out of the bottom 5. Let’s stop even debating that point. From there, there are two camps: one camp that just likes the baseball experience and doesn’t care that the Pirates will never be winners, and based on posts here, get downright annoyed that this is pointed out. And the other camp that wants a rooting interest, aka that they want their team to be competing at the same plane as the other teams, and gets downright annoyed at the “baseball experience” camp because they are enablers for the Nuttings.

This is how it is every year. Neither side really will get the other side no matter what.

It’s somewhat like Pitt football and basketball really. Two similar camps of the fanbase for those as well, never the twain shall meet…

Spot on. I'm mostly in camp 2, although I think there's a sliver of camp 1 who genuinely believes that the Pirates will someday win it all. They might luck into it, I highly doubt it, though.

What I am absolutely, positively sure of is that Bob Nutting will never commit to a top 10 payroll for a single season. Not one time. And it won't matter if he's on the cusp of achieving that illusive championship. A single dollar more will be too much for him. He'll make all kinds of excuses. He'll call it a bridge year as we let a Cy Young candidate walk for a guy named Ricky Matuszak who just put up a 5.5 ERA but he's $3 million so he gets the job. And then the Pirates will disappoint, they'll blow up the team again, hire some guy who commits to a 5 year rebuild, and be in the exact same boat they're in today.

I mean, the Pirates have finished above .500 a total of 4 times in the last 30 years. At one point I finished grades 2-12, 4 years of college, fought 2 wars, and did 3 years of law school between the Pirates most recent playoff berths. They are not a serious franchise and with an owner who won't commit to spending more than the Reds or Brewers, they never will be.

If you just like baseball, cool, then don't get upset when people here call Nutting a welfare queen that's lying to you.

"When you compare him to sex traffickers and avowed racists, Bob Nutting is actually a good owner!"
Nowhere am I saying he's a good owner. I'm saying he's not in consideration for the worst sportsowners in pro sports.

The thing that bothers me about Pirates fans is when they compare our payroll to the Yankees.

Yeah, we're not the Yankees. No one thinks we are.

But did you know the Pirates have only outspent the Reds and Brewers a total of 3 times in the last 30+ seasons? If Nutting can't commit to spending on the same level as Cincinnati and Milwaukee, he shouldn't be an owner.
Wasn't long after the last playoff season that I posted that the payroll had gotten too high and that the order will come down to do a purge. Got a lot of grief over it since they were sitting at like 18 or 19 in spending and there were all of these high hopes. Of course we know how that went.

Well, it has been reported by numerous national outlets that they are back talking.
The Pirates have upped their offer over $100 million. Probably not enough yet, but at least they are talking.
If they get to $115 million and Reynolds doesn't take that, then it isn't on the Pirates at that point, and you have to get rid of him, and soon!
I think there were some assurances that they'd go back to the table at some point but his trade request stands. The longer this goes on, the less likely he's going to sign.

Nowhere am I saying he's a good owner. I'm saying he's not in consideration for the worst sportsowners in pro sports.

You're quibbling.

Nutting is above the sex trafficker and the avowed racists. That's true. Based on everything except personal conduct, he's in consideration for the worst owner in sports.

The Pirates are 1131-1356, winning 45.6% of their games since Nutting took over. They've won a total of 2 playoff games and zero playoff series. They've never won their division. They've finished last in their division 7 out of 16 seasons (and top 2 only 3 times). They're looking at another 100 loss season and last place finish this year.

They've never finished in the top 19 in payroll. They've been a bottom 6 payroll team every single year except 2. They get outspent by similar-market competitors in the Reds and Brewers over 90% of the time.

There is not a single metric that supports Bob Nutting is even an average American sports owner. Not the team's performance and certainly not his investment in the team. You can put him above this guy or that guy, but the bottom line is that - based on results only - he is in the lowest tier of owner performance and commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: PittPoker

you can keep ignoring what I said .. name a WS winner that didn't have a homegrown core of players..

22 - Houston
Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker, Pena (MVP), McCormick, Valdez, Mccullers, Urquidy, Garcia .. all HUGE pieces to their WS.

21 - Atlanta
Albies, Freeman, Swanson, Riley, Wright, Anderson, Fried, Acuna (was injured) .. again, all their best players.. supplemented with some solid guys at the deadline.

20 - Dodgers
Barnes, Smith, Seager, Muncy (reclamation), Turner (reclamation), Taylor, Bellinger, Kershaw, May, Pederson, Kenley .. they bought Betts. Who else?

19 - Nationals
Strasburg, Rendon, Turner, Soto, Robles, Zimmerman .. bought Corbin and Max

18 - Boston
Benintendi, Mookie, Jackie, Pedroia, Devers, Bogarets, Vazquez , Rodriquez

17 - Houston
Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Yuli, Mchugh, Mccullers, Musgrove, Keuchal

16 - Cubs
Rizzo, Bryant, Soler, Scwarber, Russell

the list goes on and on .. every single WS team has a core that was groomed, then they spent and won.... I'm not saying the Pirates shouldn't spend, but bitching and moaning about a team that has young prospects need to spend before they're ready makes zero sense. None at all. If these dudes pan out, Cruz, Castro, Davis, Rodridguez, Keller, Contreras, Suwinski, Ovideo, Priester, Gonzalez, Johnson, etc ... if most pan out and you have a solid core to the point where you can drop $15M/year on an arm or two or another bat or two, then yes, I will be infuriated if they don't .... but saying a team that won less than 70 games to spend 50M more on payroll for another 10 wins at best is the best example of dumb fans shouting stupid shit.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
you can keep ignoring what I said .. name a WS winner that didn't have a homegrown core of players..

22 - Houston
Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker, Pena (MVP), McCormick, Valdez, Mccullers, Urquidy, Garcia .. all HUGE pieces to their WS.

21 - Atlanta
Albies, Freeman, Swanson, Riley, Wright, Anderson, Fried, Acuna (was injured) .. again, all their best players.. supplemented with some solid guys at the deadline.

20 - Dodgers
Barnes, Smith, Seager, Muncy (reclamation), Turner (reclamation), Taylor, Bellinger, Kershaw, May, Pederson, Kenley .. they bought Betts. Who else?

19 - Nationals

18 - Boston

17 - Houston

16 - Cubs

the list goes on and on .. every single WS team has a core that was groomed, then they spent and won.... I'm not saying the Pirates shouldn't spend, but bitching and moaning about a team that has young prospects need to spend before they're ready makes zero sense. None at all. If these dudes pan out, Cruz, Castro, Davis, Rodridguez, Keller, Contreras, Suwinski, Ovideo, Priester, Gonzalez, Johnson, etc ... if most pan out and you have a solid core to the point where you can drop $15M/year on an arm or two or another bat or two, then yes, I will be infuriated if they don't .... but saying a team that won less than 70 games to spend 50M more on payroll for another 10 wins at best is the best example of dumb fans shouting stupid shit.
Yep, the Pirates are practically all those teams, like looking into a mirror. Just like all those teams the Pirates definitely don't get rid of 90% those dudes you mentioned before their final arbitration year. I look at those teams and I think, "Man, those teams should really make a 43-year old Rich Hill their 2nd highest paid player."

Reactions: PittPoker
Time for the annual Pirate previews on the local news. Yinz know the script:
Team exec gives 60-second tour of “improvements” to the “fan experience”. This includes new $15 sammiches, exotic beers, more saloons to fill any empty spaces, and a big statement about the new video board but no mention that it was funded by a ticket surcharge. They will tease special “City Connect” jerseys and refer to the best ballpark in America. If the spot runs long enough, they’ll work in Clemente’s ghost. Or Andrew McCutchen. ANYTHING but directly address the crap team in Bucco uniforms. Rinse. Repeat. All that said, I enjoy the occasional game. Nutting is who he is. One cheap bastard. I have no delusions.

Yep, the Pirates are practically all those teams, like looking into a mirror. Just like all those teams the Pirates definitely don't get rid of 90% those dudes you mentioned before their final arbitration year. I look at those teams and I think, "Man, those teams should really make a 43-year old Rich Hill their 2nd highest paid player."

You’re right. Houston didn’t dump springer. Didn’t dump Correa. Boston didn’t dump betts. Washington didn’t dump turner. You’re really smart

You’re right. Houston didn’t dump springer. Didn’t dump Correa. Boston didn’t dump betts. Washington didn’t dump turner. You’re really smart
Houston paid Springer $45million over 3 years (2018-2020) through his arbitration seasons before losing him in free agency.
Houston paid Correa $25 million over 3 years (2019-21) through his arbitration seasons before losing him to free agency.
Boston paid Betts $41.5 million in his first 2 years of arbitration, but you're right they did trade him in the third season. Typical cheap-ass Boston Red Sox and their 4th highest payroll that season, never spending any money on their roster...
You were also right about Turner who was traded in his final arbitration season.

So that's 2 out of how many you listed from teams that spend 3-4x the payroll of the Pirates? But hey, keep giving them your money I'm sure they appreciate it.

Why the hell not? He damn well should be.
Because he’s just a routine bad owner who doesn’t try too hard and likes to make money. The Pirates have been relatively scandal free throughout my lifetime. As myself and others have posted in this thread, truly terrible owners have bad teams and worse scandals.

Because he’s just a routine bad owner who doesn’t try too hard and likes to make money. The Pirates have been relatively scandal free throughout my lifetime. As myself and others have posted in this thread, truly terrible owners have bad teams and worse scandals.
Felipe Vasquez was pretty awful right?

Felipe Vasquez was pretty awful right?
Yes. Also not relevant. The owners we’ve been talking about here are the ones involved in the scandals. Not one or two bad apple players.

As long as Dan Snyder owns a professional sports team the bar for bad ownership is so much lower than anything Nutting does.

Yes. Also not relevant. The owners we’ve been talking about here are the ones involved in the scandals. Not one or two bad apple players.

As long as Dan Snyder owns a professional sports team the bar for bad ownership is so much lower than anything Nutting does.
3 winning seasons in 30 years, I'm sorry ski but Nutting ranks right up there as an awful owner. He won't even get the payroll to $100 million, the team wins 98 games in 2015 and he slashes payroll and brings in cheap bums as replacements. He leaves players languishing in the minors to milk every ounce of service time he can even though some of these guys are ready right now for the major leagues.

I could go on but what's the point. He sucks.

3 winning seasons in 30 years, I'm sorry ski but Nutting ranks right up there as an awful owner. He won't even get the payroll to $100 million, the team wins 98 games in 2015 and he slashes payroll and brings in cheap bums as replacements. He leaves players languishing in the minors to milk every ounce of service time he can even though some of these guys are ready right now for the major leagues.

I could go on but what's the point. He sucks.
I’m not saying he’s a good owner. He’s just not the worst owner in American sports. Not even worst 5.

22 - Houston

21 - Atlanta

20 - Dodgers

19 - Nationals

18 - Boston

17 - Houston

16 - Cubs

So you're just going to ignore the homegrown guy that they are jerking around and haven't signed yet? Or the list of guys they jerked around over the last dozen or so years? And it really doesn't matter if the "core" of young talent they allegedly have now will pan out or not because they won't be in Pittsburgh because they'll get jerked around, too. Especially if they are good and have a meaningful season in a few years because we'll all sit back and watch as yet another trade deadline passes and nothing meaningful happens.

The stupid part is pretending there is some overarching strategy here that will work this time because there's a new GM or because something changed. There isn't. What's surprising is that people still think the Pirates are trying to win.

So you're just going to ignore the homegrown guy that they are jerking around and haven't signed yet? Or the list of guys they jerked around over the last dozen or so years? And it really doesn't matter if the "core" of young talent they allegedly have now will pan out or not because they won't be in Pittsburgh because they'll get jerked around, too. Especially if they are good and have a meaningful season in a few years because we'll all sit back and watch as yet another trade deadline passes and nothing meaningful happens.

The stupid part is pretending there is some overarching strategy here that will work this time because there's a new GM or because something changed. There isn't. What's surprising is that people still think the Pirates are trying to win.

what's not surprising is people being upset at fans for simply enjoying baseball and liking the Pirates. You understand your argument is based around me liking the Pirates and that makes you mad?

10 years ago they had a special core and they supplemented that core with talent to help with a few years of playoff baseball. If they have a special core again (it starts with a GM that knows how to draft players) I believe they'll supplement again. Recent history leads me to believe that.

Baseball players in every single market get jerked around. Houston jerked around Springer for years and screwed with his service time to milk every cent out of him.. he was furious .. I have friends in Houston's organization. He would be rehabbing for games throughout the year in the minors and would tell my buddies how messed up this all works .. it happens everywhere. It's not just the Pirates, but you can pretend it's just the Pirates to fit your narrative. I can poke holes in everything you try to make a point about .. your angle holds zero water. None.

Houston paid Springer $45million over 3 years (2018-2020) through his arbitration seasons before losing him in free agency.
Houston paid Correa $25 million over 3 years (2019-21) through his arbitration seasons before losing him to free agency.
Boston paid Betts $41.5 million in his first 2 years of arbitration, but you're right they did trade him in the third season. Typical cheap-ass Boston Red Sox and their 4th highest payroll that season, never spending any money on their roster...
You were also right about Turner who was traded in his final arbitration season.

So that's 2 out of how many you listed from teams that spend 3-4x the payroll of the Pirates? But hey, keep giving them your money I'm sure they appreciate it.

regardless, all 3 were severely underpaid. Springer was screwed out of a huge payday because of how they messed with his service time.

The Pirates are trying to sign Reynolds for 7 years over 100M. They locked up Hayes. They're going to lock up Cruz. They did it with Marte. They did it with Polanco. They try to do it .. but they've messed up with some of them.

So if you’re Reynolds and the money is even between staying with the pirates or actually going to play for a contender which do you pick ? I’m not defending the Pirates because there’s a long track record that shows they don’t care about winning But that track record means now you might. have to overpay to keep players .

I think this is a good observation. If you love baseball and are a diehard fan of the team I suppose it doesn’t matter how dreadful the team is. Hope always springs eternal

The other side is simply wanting the team to be competitive which it hasn’t come close to in years. At some point you lose interest and become cynical about the “rebuilding” process

To each his own. If you’re in the former camp and you are entertained by the team then have at it. But I’m in the later group and just can’t see getting excited about a franchise that clearly has no intentions of being competitive (based on a decade of results).

So if you’re Reynolds and the money is even between staying with the pirates or actually going to play for a contender which do you pick ? I’m not defending the Pirates because there’s a long track record that shows they don’t care about winning But that track record means now you might. have to overpay to keep players .
He can't "pick" anything until the 2026 season.
He is the one who said he'd like to stay in Pittsburgh.
We're not talking about Willie Mays or Ken Griffey Jr. here.
Reynolds is good, he isn't great!
If the Pirates trade him, his contract goes with him. His big payday if it comes is down the road.

I think this is a good observation. If you love baseball and are a diehard fan of the team I suppose it doesn’t matter how dreadful the team is. Hope always springs eternal

The other side is simply wanting the team to be competitive which it hasn’t come close to in years. At some point you lose interest and become cynical about the “rebuilding” process

To each his own. If you’re in the former camp and you are entertained by the team then have at it. But I’m in the later group and just can’t see getting excited about a franchise that clearly has no intentions of being competitive (based on a decade of results).
New management team, so they should at least get a chance at a legitimate rebuild.
Doesn't forgive the decades of crap baseball they've subjected the City too, and the renege on their promise of being competitive in exchange for the new stadium, but there is a glimmer of hope.

If they fail this time, then everything everyone has said about the Nutting era would be proven true definitively, not that it already hasn't been!

The next couple years will tell the tale. I doubt they can pull it off, but worth a casual look to see.

Yep. It is a fun night out as they say and I don’t begrudge those who see it as nothing more than that. Honestly, that’s all you could say for Pitt football and basketball for a long time. I have acquaintances who never understood why I was following Pitt’s teams, similar to how I look at current Pirates diehards. It’s how you are wired.

Reactions: pittbb80
10 years ago they had a special core and they supplemented that core with talent to help with a few years of playoff baseball. If they have a special core again (it starts with a GM that knows how to draft players) I believe they'll supplement again. Recent history leads me to believe that.

in 2015, after finishing with 98 wins, the Pirates cut payroll for the following season. Went from 98 wins to 78 wins. As Mark Madden said, you don't have that big of a swoon unless management is on board with it. Once again money uber allies with Nutting.

So where was the supplementing the core in 2016? Why so quick to dismantle that group?

regardless, all 3 were severely underpaid. Springer was screwed out of a huge payday because of how they messed with his service time.

The Pirates are trying to sign Reynolds for 7 years over 100M. They locked up Hayes. They're going to lock up Cruz. They did it with Marte. They did it with Polanco. They try to do it .. but they've messed up with some of them.
The last I heard listed as "multiple outlets" they were only offering 6-years, 76 million. That puts the offer around 12.6/year which he will likely pass through arbitration in 2 years if he puts up the same performance as last year.

He's a better/younger Brandon Nimmo who just signed a 8-year $162million contract.
He's a younger George Springer who signed a 6-year $150 million contract 2 years ago at age 31 and who we already covered what he got paid in his final years of arbitration.

It's a real wonder why Reynolds has been asking for a trade.

The last I heard listed as "multiple outlets" they were only offering 6-years, 76 million. That puts the offer around 12.6/year which he will likely pass through arbitration in 2 years if he puts up the same performance as last year.

He's a better/younger Brandon Nimmo who just signed a 8-year $162million contract.
He's a younger George Springer who signed a 6-year $150 million contract 2 years ago at age 31 and who we already covered what he got paid in his final years of arbitration.

It's a real wonder why Reynolds has been asking for a trade.
That was their initial low ball offer, far below Reynold's number.
There have been multiple reports that the two sides are having additional negotiations currently, but no offer details have leaked.

Speculation is this deal could get done around $110-115 million for 7 years.

New management team, so they should at least get a chance at a legitimate rebuild.
Doesn't forgive the decades of crap baseball they've subjected the City too, and the renege on their promise of being competitive in exchange for the new stadium, but there is a glimmer of hope.

If they fail this time, then everything everyone has said about the Nutting era would be proven true definitively, not that it already hasn't been!

The next couple years will tell the tale. I doubt they can pull it off, but worth a casual look to see.
I hear ya but I’m cynical about the “new” management only because I doubt the old owner will allow them to have the financial freedom to build a legitimate competitive team Fool me once …..

He can't "pick" anything until the 2026 season.
He is the one who said he'd like to stay in Pittsburgh.
We're not talking about Willie Mays or Ken Griffey Jr. here.
Reynolds is good, he isn't great!
If the Pirates trade him, his contract goes with him. His big payday if it comes is down the road.
Good point. I clearly don’t follow this stuff that Closely to know when he becomes an unrestricted Fa.

And I don’t think he’s that great but he’s good enough that he’d command more than what the Pirates would want to offer

My point is guys they get or retain are signing only because pretty much no one else wants them. There’s nothing particularly attractive about the Pirates org that a FA would want to play for at the same level of compensation they could get elsewhere

what's not surprising is people being upset at fans for simply enjoying baseball and liking the Pirates. You understand your argument is based around me liking the Pirates and that makes you mad?

Baseball players in every single market get jerked around. Houston jerked around Springer for years and screwed with his service time to milk every cent out of him.. he was furious .. I have friends in Houston's organization. He would be rehabbing for games throughout the year in the minors and would tell my buddies how messed up this all works .. it happens everywhere. It's not just the Pirates, but you can pretend it's just the Pirates to fit your narrative. I can poke holes in everything you try to make a point about .. your angle holds zero water. None.
I could care less what you like. You came at me with how dumb it is to say that spending is the problem. Not sure where you're punching holes at because you can argue it ten ways to Sunday. You have to spend some money to win. Just how it is and the club has never spent money to win and it never will so long as this ownership is involved. Don't waste your time trying to convince me otherwise.

That was their initial low ball offer, far below Reynold's number.
There have been multiple reports that the two sides are having additional negotiations currently, but no offer details have leaked.

Speculation is this deal could get done around $110-115 million for 7 years.
and he'd be crazy to do that, he'll miss out on maybe $2-3 million total over the next 2 seasons if he goes through arbitration and passes on the offer and be in place for a 6-8 year $20+ million/year deal at age 30 after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT