ADVERTISEMENT

PITT Albany thoughts

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
We did what we were supposed to do...win and stay healthy.

Pickett did a nice job spreading it around as 10 players had catches. Mack didn’t play a ton of snaps but you can see he is a player and Pickett has trust in him. Lopes is not big but he runs excellent routes and catches everything.

238 yards rushing lead by Ollison who looks like he is ready for a nice Sr year.

I know it was Albany but it was a nice start for the OL. We all agree they will be key to the season. Houy got the start in his 1st game ever and he did well. Hargrove got good PT. A game like this is good for the young guys like Houy and Hargrove. I don’t see anything keeping Bookser out next week.

Camp looked really quick. Glad to see the DL get 4 of the 5 sacks. We need these guys to take it up a level this year.

Mathis did a good job of turning to find the ball on his INT. We should have more secondary depth next week as hopefully Jackson, Pinnock and Campbell are back. Our S play has to get better. We really need Campbell back at SS.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
I still maintain that being shut out in the 2nd half against an FCS team while playing with your starters is ominous, but hell it was an easy win for a change so I will shut my mouth.

Reactions: plcp
Yes the 2nd half O clearly was not what you want. But as you said it was an easy win unlike last year.

But the 2nd half D...I believe we had 4 sacks in the half which was good.

Put the Heisman talk on the shelf.....and
This is a 6-6 team wo the big time talent for that 35 yr wait of taking it to the next level.

But at least the Suits in the Ath Dept are changing our schools colors and dressing up in new threads soon.

Perhaps the 2nd half offense was intentionally kept simpler and less agressive?

The defense seemed better in 2nd half. Adjustments?

Reactions: JSSTartan
More on the safeties than corners. That was obvious.

But regardless a good QB and fast receivers are going to be bigly problem....

Again.
Agreed. A good, vertical passing attack is definitely the way to beat our defense. In particular one that takes advantage of our safeties.

Regarding the safeties and the deep ball: did Testaverde miss one? But also don’t forget UA scores only 7 points.

Ffrench looks to be taking over where Q Henderson left off. I think Ffrench will be a better receiver than Q ever was and he will be a decent option in jet sweeps as the year progresses.

Reactions: freddietee511
I liked our corners. The safeties and OLB's seemed confused and got beaten badly. Only a drop and a couple of under thrown passes kept them from scoring 2-3 more TD's.

I think we had more DL sacks and receptions from our WR's than we had in the first 3 weeks combined last year. Only one drop.

I thought Twyman looked impressive as well.

Reactions: galladt
Perhaps the 2nd half offense was intentionally kept simpler and less agressive?

The defense seemed better in 2nd half. Adjustments?
It seemed to me that the goal of the second half play calling was to burn 30 minutes off the clock. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

263 yards against Albany.
The secondary is a concern and the strategy to play man quarters isn’t helping-
Not sure why this is even debatable.

It’s debateable because you went 2-3 posts in a row about the cb’s on an island is a bad strategy. The cb’s (minus their 2 best) played great and I can’t remember any of them getting beat. The problem is the safeties, which makes it even more head scratching as to why Ford went to cb where this roster is plenty deep at with a huge talent void at safety.

He’s trying to run a defense that needs athletic safeties with non-athletic safeties. Even if Ford doesn’t know the defense, you have to put him there.

263 yards against Albany.
The secondary is a concern and the strategy to play man quarters isn’t helping-
Not sure why this is even debatable.
To give up less than 300 yards to a team that was trailing the entire game doesn’t seem too bad to me. Let’s relax. First game. First time playing another team. Yes, it was Albany, but it’s not like those guys were incapable of making some plays.

What team besides Alabama, Clemson and OSU isn’t going to have a problem with an accurate qb and really fast wr’s? It’s college football, not the nfl.
Lol this board is a hoot...
Ok we’ll just see how this plays out.....SOS in my opinion w the Pitt secondary. If that was Vinnie yesterday and not Vincent...
Pitt would have been toRched you can bet dat.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Maybe they had a decent QB, and a very good freshman receiver. Im stunned people are talking about how they got torched by a team who scored 7 points and threw for 253 yards.

You all must have forgotten how really bad they were just last year when all but 3 QBs threw for more than 300 yrds. Including the Penguins. They literally played every Cb and saftey on the team.

Why cant you all enjoy the win and see what happens next week? They normally struggle to beat any team the 1st game of the season. They went out and dominated a team they should for the first time in forever, and you all come on here talking about them getting torched. Give it a rest.

Good point. We will see what happens as the year goes on. But as you stated this is a nice change having an easy 1st game that was over early.

I still maintain that being shut out in the 2nd half against an FCS team while playing with your starters is ominous, but hell it was an easy win for a change so I will shut my mouth.

What's funny, Pitt or PSU didn't get solved. Both teams still feel like it's game one this Saturday. I have no idea what to expect from either team after what happened yesterday.

Narduzzi wants the offenses they face to be relegated to chucking the ball downfield all game. The problem the last 3 years has been making plays on those long passes.

Pitt should have had 4 picks yesterday. I mostly don't care about the rest of stats if I'm getting 4 picks in a game.

What coverage do you suggest?

Lol........., Albany was the worst team we have opened the season with in over 30 years.

I mean their starting safety didn’t even start in high school.

Get out the popcorn. This should be fun. Most of these cats can’t tell you whether the ball is stuffed or inflated but they are convinced they know more about defense than guys who are paid professionals
It must be terribly demoralizing to know...no...to be certain beyond all doubt...that you are far better than someone at the top of their profession and still be sweeping floors for a living.
Money ain't for nuthin

Corners played well, liked seeing Ford and M. Williams play a good amount. Briggs and Stocker can't cover, and I thought Garner was a bit rough. Need to get Campbell in there.

Little Vinnie wasn't bad, he's probably better than half the QBs we'll play this year. And #5 at WR can play.

It would be nice to give up zero yards, but that's not going to happen.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Name one.

May seem crazy as a concept- but having safeties as over the top coverage - instead of isolated In man coverage -
Would be better.

With our base defense- we’re exposing our two biggest weaknesses-
Olb and secondary continuously.

If our dline is supposed to be a strength, shift to nickel and dime coverage .

And shifting into zone coverages occasionally wouldn’t hurt.

I’m fairly confident offense will have to win us games - for the 4th year in a row.

Last edited:
May seem crazy as a concept- but having safeties as over the top coverage - instead of isolated In man coverage -
Would be better.

With our base defense- we’re exposing our two biggest weaknesses-
Olb and secondary continuously.

If our dline is supposed to be a strength, shift to nickel and dime coverage .

And shifting into zone coverages occasionally wouldn’t hurt.

I’m fairly confident offense will have to win us games - for the 4th year in a row.

Cover 2 with no flat threat becomes cover 4 in virtually every scheme you see from W&J to Alabama.

If you play straight generic cover 2 with the corners sitting in the flat now you're forcing the safety to play 2 deep receivers. That is 10X harder. Georgia lost the NC because the cb didn't sink on the last play. Run fits suck vs any good run team.

Cover 3? 3 deep vs 4 verts....?

Cover 1? Put a lesser cover guy (nickel or olb) on a Wr? Very easy to scheme mismatches.

Cover 4 - 1/4's is the all around best scheme. It's not the scheme. It's the lack of pass rush.

Cover 2 with no flat threat becomes cover 4 in virtually every scheme you see from W&J to Alabama.

If you play straight generic cover 2 with the corners sitting in the flat now you're forcing the safety to play 2 deep receivers. That is 10X harder. Georgia lost the NC because the cb didn't sink on the last play. Run fits suck vs any good run team.

Cover 3? 3 deep vs 4 verts....?

Cover 1? Put a lesser cover guy (nickel or olb) on a Wr? Very easy to scheme mismatches.

Cover 4 - 1/4's is the all around best scheme. It's not the scheme. It's the lack of pass rush.

How many years in a row until you believe your lying eyes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT