ADVERTISEMENT

PITT Football Mt. Rushmore

Pop Warner, Jock Sutherland, Johnny Majors & Jackie Sherril in that awesome Century 21 Gold Blazer!
This is the coaches My Rushmore. For player we are gonna need a bigger Mt. Dorset and Hugh Green are locks. Then it’s 2 from among Ditka, Marino, Fralic, Fitz and Donald. Arguments can be made for any.

Reactions: dave97
I have the Pitt Greats Mt. Rushmore that they gave away at one of the games two years ago. It's Ditka, Dorsett, Marino and Fitzgerald. The same guys who run the Big Head race.

s-l200.jpg

That is what I’d have for the coaches.

Dorsett, Donald, Green, Fralic - Based on college career at Pitt.

Entire body of work; Fitz or AD?

AD had an historic last year. But Fitz killed it from day one and should have won the Heisman.

Give me TD, Fitz, Hugh and Fralic.

3 of which are first team all-time CFB.

Entire body of work; Fitz or AD?

AD had an historic last year. But Fitz killed it from day one and should have won the Heisman.
I really have to ask how much do you know about Mr. Dorsett’s career for you to ask the question and then make those two statements.

Donald won every Def award he was eligible for, he needs to be in any top 4.
who are you kicking out of the previous ones mentioned not including him to make room for him?.. always the stickler of the "needs to be in" argument..

Last edited:
Not to steer this into a uniform debate, but does it bother anyone else, even just a tiny bit, that when you see footage of Pitt greats, you see Larry Fitzgerald in that dino-cat abortion of a helmet/uniform back in the day?

And I'll openly admit, I was all for the new unis/color back in they day. Never was a big fan of those helmets though. With hindsight being 20/20 (or 50/50) I wished we had never gotten away from script Pitt.

Oh well, it happens. Remember when BYU changed up their colors/logo/unis? In the early 90s, errbody wanted to be Notre Dame or FSU.

It's a shame when you're great at your job, you might not get much publicity because you're all on an island by yourself.

Based on their performance at Pitt:

Dorsett, Fitz, Donald, Green

All of them are multi award winners and Consensus All-Americans

Reactions: 303vND
I really have to ask how much do you know about Mr. Dorsett’s career for you to ask the question and then make those two statements.

And I would have to ask how much you know about Pitt Football when you fail to recognize AD as Aaron Donald, and not Anthony Dorsett.

Apparently, very little.

I have the Pitt Greats Mt. Rushmore that they gave away at one of the games two years ago. It's Ditka, Dorsett, Marino and Fitzgerald. The same guys who run the Big Head race.

I love Fitzgerald, but a Pitt Mt Rushmore should give precedence to similarly impactful and honored players that used their eligibility up, meaning that they dedicated more of their lives to Pitt. Therefore, I'd replace Fitz with Aaron Donald.

For those that do not have Fitz on their list,

Suppose he had won the heisman? I mean, it's almost unanimous on this board that he should have won going away,

Would you leave a heisman winner off the list?

I just enjoy reading these posts and the rationale used because I knew this was going to be a knock down drag out topic. The only consensus choice would be Hawk - but that's a no brainer.

Last edited:
Would you leave a heisman winner off the list?

What if a guy played four years at another school and was so good he won the Heisman 4 times? After winning the Heisman 4 times, for some reason he didn't want to go pro; so came to Pitt as a graduate transfer and won the Heisman a 5th time? Would you put this guy on Pitt's Mount Rushmore for winning the Heisman 1 time at Pitt, when he is likely more better associated with winning the Heisman 4 times at his original school?

I think it would be significantly more difficult to exclude Fitz if he had won the Heisman. But like Pete, between the two I would give the nod to Donald as a 4 year contributor over Fitz who was only with the program for 2 years; even though those 2 years were absolutely spectacular.

My vote would flip to Fitz if he had a 3rd year with Pitt; as most great players these days are only going to be with a program for 3 years. I wouldn't even have to be a good year. If the coaching staff inexplicitly sat him for a red shirt year, then he had the same two years he produced after that, then he gets my vote because I grant him credit for attendance. It's a stupid criteria on my part where I'm penalizing him way too much for a year a prep school where he remained committed to Pitt. But I struggle with a guy that was only on the team for 2 years being anointed one of the top 4 players in program history. If you mix a national championship into the 2 years Fitz was here, that would also probably flip my vote with only two years with the program.

If Pitt plays college football for another 500,000 years or more; within that time frame I hope Pitt will be able to accumulate more than 4 Heisman trophy winners. When that becomes the case, sooner or later you will have to pick Heisman trophy winners to exclude from the top 4. It's also why Pitt needs to quit retiring numbers. Over the long haul, you're going to run out of available numbers to field a team with. If you are retiring a double digit number of players every hundred year interval, you are doing it wrong.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
And I would have to ask how much you know about Pitt Football when you fail to recognize AD as Aaron Donald, and not Anthony Dorsett.

Apparently, very little.
My apology. It was early and the brain interpreted it as a formal use of initials for Mr. Dorsett.

How about 3 eras of dominance (3 Mountains)

Early era
Joe Schmidt
Marshall Goldberg
Mike Ditka
? - give me someone

Middle era
Dorsett
Fralic
Green
Marino

Late era
Donald
Fitz
Revis
Bryant

Reactions: Parkview57
My assistant coach Mt. Rushmore (can't be GA's or guys that blew up after PITT)

Joe Moore
Charlie Partridge

who else you got?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT