ADVERTISEMENT

PITT Football Mt. Rushmore

Another question to consider:

Had Ironhead won the Heisman Trophy in 1987 (he was a finalist), I’m assuming that’d catapult him into the top four?

My top four would likely be Dorsett, Donald, Green, and Fitzgerald. Four of our most decorated players that includes a Heisman winner (should’ve been three with Green/Fitz).

Reactions: 4upmc
Pitt itself has gone with Fitzgerald, Ditka, Dorsett, and Marino.

s-l500.jpg
It wouldn’t be the first time they got something wrong.

Reactions: 4upmc
Another question to consider:

Had Ironhead won the Heisman Trophy in 1987 (he was a finalist), I’m assuming that’d catapult him into the top four?

My top four would likely be Dorsett, Donald, Green, and Fitzgerald. Four of our most decorated players that includes a Heisman winner (should’ve been three with Green/Fitz).

This is the top 4, I would go with as well.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Let's be honest. If he didn't have the "cult of personality" that built up with him over most his time in the NFL, Ditka wouldn't be anywhere near a list like this.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, but simply that his impact as a football player at Pitt pales in comparison to the other people we are discussing here. His impact at Pitt doesn't even come within miles of Aaron Donald, for instance. Ditka's career numbers catching passes at Pitt pale in comparison to even one season of what Larry Fitzgerald did. And obviously the game was completely different back then, but that's kind of the point. Ditka was really good at what he did, but what he did simply wasn't valued in college football back then.

As an example, as a senior Mike Ditka caught 11 passes for 229 yards and 2 touchdowns. Not in a game. For the WHOLE SEASON. For his career it was 45 catches for 730 yards and 7 touchdowns. Fun fact, he caught more passes for more yards and more touchdowns in his rookie season with the Bears than he did in his entire career at Pitt.

He simply does not belong in a discussion like the four best Pitt players ever. He didn't have anywhere close to the impact at Pitt that guys like Dorsett or Donald or Fitzgerald or several others did.

Let's be honest. If he didn't have the "cult of personality" that built up with him over most his time in the NFL, Ditka wouldn't be anywhere near a list like this.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, but simply that his impact as a football player at Pitt pales in comparison to the other people we are discussing here. His impact at Pitt doesn't even come within miles of Aaron Donald, for instance. Ditka's career numbers catching passes at Pitt pale in comparison to even one season of what Larry Fitzgerald did. And obviously the game was completely different back then, but that's kind of the point. Ditka was really good at what he did, but what he did simply wasn't valued in college football back then.

As an example, as a senior Mike Ditka caught 11 passes for 229 yards and 2 touchdowns. Not in a game. For the WHOLE SEASON. For his career it was 45 catches for 730 yards and 7 touchdowns. Fun fact, he caught more passes for more yards and more touchdowns in his rookie season with the Bears than he did in his entire career at Pitt.

He simply does not belong in a discussion like the four best Pitt players ever. He didn't have anywhere close to the impact at Pitt that guys like Dorsett or Donald or Fitzgerald or several others did.
But he was a first team all-American
Which is why he’s on my list

It wouldn’t be the first time they got something wrong.

Clearly this is a marketing gimmick, and are the same individuals as those represented in the Pitt Greats mascot races during games. And for marketing, you would want to pick the most generally well-known and culturally pervasive individuals. With the criteria being the most famous Pitt football alumni to the general population, I think one would be hard pressed to argue others at this point.

So who you pick depends how you define a Mt. Rushmore: is it the best players, the most famous, the individuals with the greatest impact on the program? I tend to favor those having the greatest historic impact.

I think, given only one mountain ala the real Mt. Rushmore, and selecting individuals that had the most profound impact on Pitt football, I'd pick Jock Sutherland and Tony Dorsett to start. IMO, are the two that are easiest to pick.

Sutherland was a consensus All-American guard and played on two of Pop Warner's national championship teams ('15 & '16) as well as the undefeated 1917 team. Replacing Warner, he became Pitt's all-time most successful coach with and an .818 winning percentage, seven Eastern championships, four Rose Bowl appearances, and five national titles over 15 seasons. As a student, he also lettered in track & field and wrestling and eventually served as a Pitt dental professor. A Pitt man through-and-through, he won championships while battling a university administration hell bent on deemphasis, even agreeing to stay on as coach under the imposition of crippling restrictions, until finally, they made things so untenable that they forced his resignation. Leaving him off Pitt Rushmore would be like leaving Knute Rockne off of Notre Dame's Rushmore. All conversations about individuals embodying Pitt football begin with Jock.

Dorsett, a four-time All-American and PItt's only Heisman winner who also smashed NCAA record books, was the local kid that decided to help bring Pitt back to the national dominance when going to Pitt was far from sexy; a domnance was sorely absent since Sutherland had been forced out (not including a smattering of good seasons in between). Without Dorsett, it is easy to imagine Majors not winning the 1976 title, and who knows how things may have been different. And Dorsett has remained a loyal Pitt man well after his playing days and Hall-of-Fame inductions, never missing an opportunity to lend his voice, name, or image to support the program. If one individual emodies the modern era of Pitt football, I think it is Dorsett.

After that, it gets difficult, if not impossible, to slot the last two as there are so many great players and coaches: Arthur Mosse, Joe Thompson, Pop Warner, Bob Peck, Marshall Goldberg, John Michelosoen, Mike Ditka, Hugh Green, Dan Marino, Bill Fralic, Larry Fitzgerald, Donald...you could make an argument for any of them, and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
But he was a first team all-American
Which is why he’s on my list

Well like I said, he was certainly a good player. But if we are using All American status to make our list then he is clearly and obviously behind Fralic and Green and Dorsett and Goldberg and if you want to go back that far, Robert Peck and Herb Stein. There are also seven other guys who were unanimous All Americans once like Ditka was, including both Donald and Fitzgerald.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Well like I said, he was certainly a good player. But if we are using All American status to make our list then he is clearly and obviously behind Fralic and Green and Dorsett and Goldberg and if you want to go back that far, Robert Peck and Herb Stein. There are also seven other guys who were unanimous All Americans once like Ditka was, including both Donald and Fitzgerald.
I have Donald and Fralic on mine
I love Larry but give him a slight downgrade over shorter college career

I’m cool with replacing him
But being a western pa dude who stayed home always gets the edge

Not to steer this into a uniform debate, but does it bother anyone else, even just a tiny bit, that when you see footage of Pitt greats, you see Larry Fitzgerald in that dino-cat abortion of a helmet/uniform back in the day?

And I'll openly admit, I was all for the new unis/color back in they day. Never was a big fan of those helmets though. With hindsight being 20/20 (or 50/50) I wished we had never gotten away from script Pitt.

Oh well, it happens. Remember when BYU changed up their colors/logo/unis? In the early 90s, errbody wanted to be Notre Dame or FSU.
This is a great thread. I see more and more teams going back to "original" or "vintage" uniforms and they look great. Especially in the NHL. Somewhere, in the 90's, it was decided that black had to be part of every scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT