ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Hosts Rider Thursday @6 and Virginia Friday @7

wrestlingfan22

Scholarship
Dec 11, 2022
Last two regular season competitions. Rider should be a good opportunity for some guys to get some matches and boost match count/winning percentage. Virginia is a huge dual for the program because it is the difference between finishing 2-3 in the ACC and taking 4th or finishing 1-4 and taking 5th. Further, many matches will have implications for ACC seeding and the amount of allocations per weight.

Rider is not going to be a push over. They are having a great season. Blowing out some decent teams like Clarion, Lock Haven and lost by one point to Princeton

PREVIEW:
RIDER

125: NR Camacho vs NR Klinsky
Kilnsky is another wrestler with similar up and down results to Camacho. He has good wins over Dean Peterson, Jett Stickenberger and Joey Fischer, but some bad losses to guys far from the national rankings. He is 13-10 on the year. I have no inkling how this could go, both of these guys can be very good or very lackluster. TOSS UP.

133: #23 Santaniello vs NR Koehler
Koehler is a former NQ and R16 guy, but the last two years he has not looked to be on the same level he once was. He is 14-8 on the season with losses to the majority of ranked wrestlers he has faced. I am going to lean on Vinnie getting this one done do to his better results this season and the need he has for bouncing back after 2 straight losses. Koehler is a 6th year who can be a very tough out, but I expect Vinnie to show some offence and pull this one out. PITT FAVORED

141: #14 Matthews vs NR Betancourt
Betancourt is a former 125/133 who has gone from Lock Haven-tOSU-PSU-Rider. He is 1-7 on the year and just lost to Ryan Sullivan from Clarion. I believe Cole will be able to win this one comfortably and continue his amazing run of recent. PITT FAVORED

149: NR Solomon vs #30 Kinner
Kinner is a 5th year who took a gap year in 2021, he started at tOSU and has been at Rider for the last 3 seasons. He is 12-8 this season and has definitely struggled more than any other year in his career. He has lost to many guys outisde the national rankings and has more ranked losses than ranked wins. He is still a very capable wrestler who came into this season pretty highly ranked. Finn has seen his recent slump (1-5 in the second semester) knock him out of the national and coaches rankings. This means that he will likely have an uphill battle to qualify for NCAAs. A win here would be huge for him in this quest. It would give him a better chance of earning an AQ spot for the ACC and for possibly making it as an At-Large qualifier. Overall they have had similar close results against similar opponents and as we have seen this season Finn is a gamer and can get the job done. I have this as a complete toss up. TOSS UP

157: NR Keslar vs #28 Washleski
I have no idea if Keslar is going to go at 157, but I am anticipating based on gut feeling that he is the wrestler that we see. Colton Washleski may be the wrestler to make to biggest season to season jump in all of division one. He went 6-16 against all comp as Rider's 157 last year and is currently 24-6 this year agianst all competition. That is a ridiculous flip of results and is incredibly impressive. His best wins are against Andrew Clark of Rutgers 2x. I do not want to completely write Keslar off, as he has faced a much tougher competition schedule and definitely has the talent to pull this off. However, Washleski has consistently won this season and I can't commit to Keslar in the same way (especially since he is not locked in as the starter). RIDER FAVORED

1st Half: 2 Pitt Favored, 2 TOSS UP, 1 Rider Favored
This first half should be damn good in my opinion. Wrestlestat predicts us to be losing 9-7 at half, showing how the first half of this dual could very well swing either way and I bet some of these matches will be very entertaining and close.

165: #13 Heller vs NR Silversteini
Holden looked great vs VT and I expect to see that momentum continue. If Holden is healthy it is very important for him to go today and tomorrow. Winning both these matches would out him at 12-5, making his winning percentage 70.5% on the year. This combined with his coaches ranking would qualify another pre-allocated spot for the ACC and make his job easier. Silverstien is another 6 year senior, he started his career at Nebraksa before transferring to the Garden State. He had only ever had one season before this with over 10 d1 matches, 2021 where he was a NQ at 165 lbs. He started the year at 157 before losing to Washleski and moving up. His best win is probably over GMU's Maag. He has many questionable to bad losses and is someone Heller should expect to go after and put up points to entertain the home crowd. PITT FAVORED.

174: #18 Augustine vs NR Wilson
Luca has been struggling with injury recently so we could see Grant again, but I would hope Luca is healthily enough to go. Wilson is a good wrestler who went through 26-11 last season. he is 15-9 this year with most of his losses coming to ranked guys. His best wins are Purdue's Baumann and Binghampton's Gamkrelidzke. If Luca goes and he's healthy I think he will win comfortably. If he is not 100% it could be interesting. If MacKay goes I think it will be a very interesting match where he is the underdog. Assuming Luca is going and he is healthy enough to function, PITT FAVORED.

184: #10 Heller vs NR Dean
Dean is 10-10 on the year and 18-30 overall in his college career. Reece has been a little too passive in recent weeks IMO, so this can be a good chance to correct that. Dean has allowed a fair amount of points to most nationally ranked guys he has faced. A solid win from Reece can help him course correct going into ACC's. PITT FAVORED.

197: #15 Stout vs NR Bell
Bell is 9-10 this year. His best win is Princeton's Conner. Conner is the backup to Stout's brother Luke but is a very solid wrestler. Overall Stout has a much better pedigree and resume. I believe that Stout will be able to attack and keep the pace up, hopefully securing some bonus points. PITT FAVORED

285: NR Magin vs # 33 Szuba
Assuming Magin is the guy, he has another nationally ranked wrestler this week. So far he hasn't had much success against these guys and I unfortunately expect that to continue. RIDER FAVORED

2nd Half: 4 Pitt Favored, 0 Toss Up, 0 Rider Favored
This second half is where I expect the good guys to go on a real solid run. 165-197 should be 4 wins for the panthers with some bonus points.

OVERALL: 6 Pitt Favored, 2 Toss Up, 2 Rider Favored
For this dual to not go our way we would need to lose the tossups, and get upset or have a backup lose. It is not at all a sure thing to win, but I do really believe that our guys take some positive momentum from VT and get this match done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno53
Just got the opportunity to tune in. Saw Reece's uninspiring match. Mack looked really good, liked his motor and aggressiveness tonight. Who lost tonight?

Magin is a solid 197 not so much heavy. Doing the best he can giving up 50 pounds but obviously Pitzer makes a huge difference. Big win for Finn today too

Magin is a solid 197 not so much heavy. Doing the best he can giving up 50 pounds but obviously Pitzer makes a huge difference. Big win for Finn today too
Completely agree. He was put in a very difficult position to go out there at heavy.

The third Heller brother was in attendance. I believe he is the oldest. Could you imagine having lineup with all 3 of them. Lol.

Definitely looks much better from beginning of season. How does he do against Camacho at this point?

Definitely looks much better from beginning of season. How does he do against Camacho at this point?
Let’s just say he had some issues adjusting to the freedom of college life the first semester.

From what he tells me, how he does with Colton in practice depends upon where he is with his weight cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Virginia:

125: NR Camacho vs NR Hayes
Hayes is 0-3 on the year and Camacho should on build todays performance with hopefully another dominant win. PITT FAVORED

133: #23 Santaniello vs 28 Yarbrough
This and 174 are two I really have circled. This was one of 5 weights with an OR for UVA's lineup. If Yarbrough goes it will be big for ACC seeding implications. He has some very good wins but also some less than stellar results. He has Majored Latona and Guanajuanto in the last few weeks, both guys that Santaniello lost a close match to. He has another really solid win against APP ST's Oakley 18-12. He is someone who can let it fly at times which could play right into Vinnies strengths. His questionable losses have come by fall to TK Davis from Gardner Webb and by Tech Fall to F&M's Mason Leiphart. I have this match right down the middle where if one guy doesn't show up all the way and the other does it could be a comfortable win in either direction. The other wrestler listed for UVA was Keyveon Roller who is 4-4 on the year with no notable D1 wins. I expect Vinnie to take that if it occurs. I expect Marlon to go however. TOSS UP

141: #14 Matthews vs NR Butler
I don't know who is going to go at 141 for the Cavs, On the website Gioffre is listed as the first started but on the program at the Fitz Butler was listed first. They are both solid wrestlers but Gioffre has probably had slightly better results this season. Either way, Cole is on another level to these two and is looking for career win number 100, at home, on senior night. I expect this to go in the panthers way. PITT FAVORED

149: NR Solomon vs NR Gioffre
Finn looked really good yesterday and hopefully can build upon that in this matchup. The larger Gioffre is listed as the first option for the Cavs on the program, but Erik Roggie is also on it. Gioffre is the also a redshirt freshman with mixed results on the season, but Finn's has been more consistent in that he has only lost to guys that are in the national rankings. His win vs Kinner yesterday paired with a win today could definitely slot him back into those rankings. If Roggie goes I would expect Finn to win, but he does also have a win on the year over Kinner so it I would not right him off completely. PITT FAVORED

157: NR Keslar vs #27 Cedeno
This is an interesting one. Jared looked really, really close yesterday but he just can't pull these tight matches off at the moment. Cedeno has only wrestled in 14 matches all season and doesn't have any super notable wins but has been able to stay ranked by having a solid 11-3 record. However he MFF out of Midlans and has only competed 2x since then. Further, He currently has a winning % above 70 and is top 30 in coaches ranking so he qualifies a spot for the ACC. If he wins or does not compete against Pitt he has a solid chance of giving another AQ spot to the conference. If he loses there is no chance he gives the conference a spot at 157 (if my math is correct). So this is strange situation where him sitting out is probably most beneficial for everyone involved. The other wrestler listed for UVA at 157 is Nick Sanko who is 13-8 on the year and also has some good results. Either way I am going to call this one a toss up because Keslar looked very solid yesterday and is talented enough to put it together for ACC's and qualify for the big dance. TOSS UP

First Half:
3 Pitt Favored, 2 TOSS UP, 0 UVA Favored
This first half should see us going into the break with the lead, but it is far from a sure thing. 133 is my match to watch in this first half and I do really hope we see Yarbrough take the mat for the Hoos.

165: #13 Heller vs NR Hamilton
Heller competing and winning this match would be huge for him. It would take his winning % just over 70 and give 165 another AQ spot. He didn't look great yesterday but his opponent also did not do much. Heller won 6-0 in the last time these two wrestled. Hamilton is 9-6 on the year and has similar results against common opponents, but Holden has a few key wins over guys Hamilton has not beat and overall Holden just is more established. The fact this is his senior night should be even more motivation to pull this one off. PITT FAVORED

174: #18 Augustine vs #13 McCoy
This is probably my match of the night. Luca started out great last night then all of a sudden the match got very close after he allowed two takedowns. I think that will be a good way to get some rust off and be ready for a huge matchup tonight. 174 in the ACC is stacked and seeding will play a big factor in who places at ACC's. McCoy is 16-3 in his first season up at 174. His two losses not by injury default were both very close affairs with nationally ranked guys. He has some good wins over guys that Luca lost to. I am not going to lean this to McCoy because I think Luca has looked very good this season and has been close in the majority of his losses. This is one I am very excited to see and if Luca can pull it off he can really give himself good momentum going into the conference tournament. TOSS UP.

184 #10 Heller vs NR Weatherspoon
Ethan Weatherspoon and Hudson Stewart are listed as the probable for UVA. Stewart is 3-3 against D1 comp. this season and Weatherspoon is 4-2 but only 1 of those matches came at 184, the rest were up at 197. Heller looked very non offensive once again last night but he got the job done. I expect him to be able to do that again tonight.

197: #15 Stout vs NR Kinsey
Kinsey is a very solid wrestler (10-4 on the season) who tends to be pretty stingy. However he lost to all the wrestlers around Mac's level that he has faced. Because of this I expect Mac to win by decision and continue his good momentum from last night and the week before. PITT FAVORED

285: NR Magin vs NR Catka
This is the brother of VT's Catka and he is also very good. I am not optimistic about this one. UVA FAVORED.

2nd Half: 3 Pitt Favored, 1 TOSS UP, 1 UVA FAVORED
The match can't come down to heavyweight but if we do our jobs at 165, 184 and 197 this should be wrapped up going into the closing match.

Overall:
6 Pit Favored, 3 Toss up, 1 UVA Favored
This is a dual that we could win by blow out, win closely or even lose. We are going to need some guys to all go out and give their best in order to secure this one, but I am confident that we can do so.

Last two regular season competitions. Rider should be a good opportunity for some guys to get some matches and boost match count/winning percentage. Virginia is a huge dual for the program because it is the difference between finishing 2-3 in the ACC and taking 4th or finishing 1-4 and taking 5th. Further, many matches will have implications for ACC seeding and the amount of allocations per weight.
I have a lot of difficulty with this years record when we are in one of the best recruiting areas in the country. I can't say that I know what to do about it but the frustration is building.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT