ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt is the clear 2nd-best team in the ACC

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
The other contenders for that title are NC State, Syracuse, BC, Duke, and GT.

Pitt beat Syracuse, Duke, and GT.

NC State lost at home last week to the same WF team that Pitt throttled on the road yesterday.

BC lost to an FSU team that is horrendous yesterday and has beaten nobody of note.

The power rankings for the ACC are

1. Clemson
2. Pitt
3. Georgia Tech
4. Syracuse
5. Boston College
6. Duke
7. NC State
8. Virginia
9. Miami
10. FSU
11. Wake Forest
12. Virginia Tech
13. Louisville
14. UNC

NC State lost at home last week to the same WF team that Pitt throttled on the road yesterday.

BC lost to an FSU team that is horrendous yesterday and has beaten nobody of note.

1. Clemson
2. Pitt
3. Georgia Tech
4. Syracuse
5. Boston College
6. Duke
7. NC State
8. Virginia
9. Miami
10. FSU
11. Wake Forest
12. Virginia Tech
13. Louisville
14. UNC
not sure where you found power ranking where Louisville is not number 14...not even close as they are putrid

not sure where you found power ranking where Louisville is not number 14...not even close as they are putrid
They are how I rate them. UNC has ONE FBS win (unfortunately, it is us).

1. Clemson
2. Pitt
3. Georgia Tech
4. Syracuse
5. Boston College
6. Duke
7. NC State
8. Virginia
9. Miami
10. FSU
11. Wake Forest
12. Virginia Tech
13. Louisville
14. UNC
Ncsu is ahead of duke .
Cuse ahead of gt

Otherwise valid

ACC margins of loss
Louisville
66-31...27-3...66-31...56-35...77-16...54-23...52-10

UNC
42-35...31-21...22-19....40-37....38-28....47-10...38-35(W)

Like I said, not even close...

Maybe
But Unc has an acc victory
So they are ahead by default

I agree, UNC might be favored over Va Tech right now as well.

You’d think the Hokies will be ready to play against rival Virginia, but they have obviously quit in multiple games this year. Not a good look for Fuente that his team packed it in as soon as their QB got hurt.

You realize Louisville does as well, they beat Indiana St (and Western Kentucky).

That was a hell of a long time ago, UNC would crush them right now and would be deservingly large chalk in that game.

You realize Louisville does as well, they beat Indiana St (and Western Kentucky).

That was a hell of a long time ago, UNC would crush them right now and would be deservingly large chalk in that game.
Yeah, well... the point of the thread wasn't a discussion over which team is 13th and which is 14th in the ACC, LOL.

The point is that Pitt is the *CLEAR* #2. None of the other pretenders have the resume that Pitt has.

Pitt would be favored on a neutral field against every ACC team except for Clemson.

Duke, Virginia, and GT are all 7-4 and Cuse is 8-3. Pitt best them all and did so to UVA and GT rather convincingly. GT did not make it a game until the very end. The country will be surprised if Pitt is able to give Clemson a game but we really shouldn’t be. There’s a reason Pitt won the Coastal and it’s as the OP suggested. They are absolutely the best team in it.

Yeah, well... the point of the thread wasn't a discussion over which team is 13th and which is 14th in the ACC, LOL.

The point is that Pitt is the *CLEAR* #2. None of the other pretenders have the resume that Pitt has.

Pitt would be favored on a neutral field against every ACC team except for Clemson.

I can’t really argue with that, there are so many teams in the ACC that are similar.

Pitt will still almost surely be an underdog at Miami next week, albeit a small one.

Well VaTech has been riddled with injury after losing players to the NFL and graduation. They are taking their lumps. Not an apologist just offering an explanation. Miami did not turn the corner by spanking the Hokies. We should pick the QB several times Saturday. Nice athlete but nothing we haven't seen.

I can’t really argue with that, there are so many teams in the ACC that are similar.

Pitt will still almost surely be an underdog at Miami next week, albeit a small one.
On a neutral field, Pitt would be favored over Miami next week.

Duke, Virginia, and GT are all 7-4 and Cuse is 8-3. Pitt best them all and did so to UVA and GT rather convincingly. GT did not make it a game until the very end. The country will be surprised if Pitt is able to give Clemson a game but we really shouldn’t be. There’s a reason Pitt won the Coastal and it’s as the OP suggested. They are absolutely the best team in it.

Yes, true. But on our whole body of work (including our shakey start) we are Sagarin's computer's #44.

Based on recent games, however, we are Sagarin's computer's #18.

No ACC team other than Clemson is in Sagarin's top 25 (NC State #27) based on their whole body of work; and, no other team in Sagarin's recent games ratings is higher than #31 (GA Tech).

I believe this is a good and fair assessment, generally speaking. My one caveat is that the recent games rating would have Clemson a 20 point favorite. I believe we have probably been playing better than that rating the last 2-3 games and should give Clemson a better game than the predicted 20 point loss.

UNC would be favored over Louisville by more than a touchdown right now.
Unfortunately, probably be favored over us also. haha. Amazing we can never beat them no matter how bad they are.

For those interested a couple offshore books already have numbers up for the ACC Championship game. I’ve seen Clemson anywhere from a 20-20.5 point favorite, which seems fair.

Don’t plan on getting rich though, I doubt any are taking more than a nickel at this point.

I agree, UNC might be favored over Va Tech right now as well.

You’d think the Hokies will be ready to play against rival Virginia, but they have obviously quit in multiple games this year. Not a good look for Fuente that his team packed it in as soon as their QB got hurt.
UNC blew their game against VT earlier this year. Fumbled at the goal line with the game in check. I expect UVA to beat VT by about 10.

UNC blew their game against VT earlier this year. Fumbled at the goal line with the game in check. I expect UVA to beat VT by about 10.

I do too, guess we will have to wait and see how healthy Perkins is.

I’m surprised at the Pitt number honestly. Had expected it to be under three, 5.5 seems too high.

I do too, guess we will have to wait and see how healthy Perkins is.

I’m surprised at the Pitt number honestly. Had expected it to be under three, 5.5 seems too high.
I was very surprised by the 5.5. Maybe they know Morrisey is going to be out. That would be a big blow to us.

Reactions: FireballZ
On a neutral field, Pitt would be favored over Miami next week.

The Friday after Thanksgiving for a game that means very little to the home team, with a fanbase that draws precious few ever,

Friday will be a neutral field

And yet Miami favored by 5.5

Swing and a miss.

The Friday after Thanksgiving for a game that means very little to the home team, with a fanbase that draws precious few ever,

Friday will be a neutral field

And yet Miami favored by 5.5

Swing and a miss.
We don't play Friday....<woosh>

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT