ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/IU Game Thread

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I was surprised Pitt had all the possession in the 1st Half. Quite honestly, Pitt is a lot better. I knew we were better but didn't think it was that drastic. That said, its soccer and it only takes 1. IU is very well coached, very disciplined and seems quite content to bunker in and defend. I think you're going to see them try to hit Pitt on more counters. If IU is going to score, its going to have to be on a counter, a set piece, or a defensive mistake.

I was a little disappointed Pitt didnt get many good chances but credit IU's defense. Petkovic absolutely should have scored. A total mishit there. And Noel didnt get enough on that header but other than the near own goal, we didn't have a ton of quality chances.

I think if your IU, you'd be elated with 0-0 and PK's. We'll see if Pitt can break through.

I was surprised Pitt had all the possession in the 1st Half. Quite honestly, Pitt is a lot better. I knew we were better but didn't think it was that drastic. That said, its soccer and it only takes 1. IU is very well coached, very disciplined and seems quite content to bunker in and defend. I think you're going to see them try to hit Pitt on more counters. If IU is going to score, its going to have to be on a counter, a set piece, or a defensive mistake.

I was a little disappointed Pitt didnt get many good chances but credit IU's defense. Petkovic absolutely should have scored. A total mishit there. And Noel didnt get enough on that header but other than the near own goal, we didn't have a ton of quality chances.

I think if your IU, you'd be elated with 0-0 and PK's. We'll see if Pitt can break through.
We were clearly the better team in the first half.

Damn......kind of dominated the 1st half. Really would have loved to have either the header or the Petrovic miss find the back of the net. Pitt is definitely the better team, IU is content to go to penalties I believe.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The saying is soccer is a cruel game....so yea. I guess if you're going to lose, you want it to be a game where you completely dominate the other team and are clearly better, I dont know. Having watched most Pitt games this season, I dont remember Pitt dominating ANYBODY like that, even with some of their lopsided scorelines. I mean IU could barely win the ball. As I thought before the game, I would say they equal to a mid-tier ACC team but those teams can beat you and they did today.

If everyone comes back, we'll be preseason #1 and back here in December.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The saying is soccer is a cruel game....so yea. I guess if you're going to lose, you want it to be a game where you completely dominate the other team and are clearly better, I dont know. Having watched most Pitt games this season, I dont remember Pitt dominating ANYBODY like that, even with some of their lopsided scorelines. I mean IU could barely win the ball. As I thought before the game, I would say they equal to a mid-tier ACC team but those teams can beat you and they did today.

If everyone comes back, we'll be preseason #1 and back here in December.
I was a little confused looking at their roster- are the players listed as grad students grad transfers? Is anyone not able to come back next season? Looks like a pretty young team.

I was a little confused looking at their roster- are the players listed as grad students grad transfers? Is anyone not able to come back next season? Looks like a pretty young team.
Without looking, I think Dexter and Loefflesand are the only 2 seniors but both can come back due to the extra Covid year. None of these kids (well maybe except those 2) can sign with an MLS team until AFTER the next MLS Draft in January so just gotta selfishly hope the best players dont sign with a lower division Euro team

The saying in soccer is that teams have to be prepared to suffer in games. Suffering means playing without the ball, knowing the opponent is good enough to keep it from you and pass it around you for long periods of time while creating scoring opportunities. Suffering is fine, provided you don’t get frustrated, lose focus and blow assignments. Defending for 80-90 minutes is fine if you embrace it and wait for your breaks. Indiana and Marshall both did that last night, and both will be playing for the title on Monday. When we pushed shots wide, hit bars, and wasted brilliant opportunities like last night, it was becoming clear it wasn’t going to be our night. That’s not really pitting, that’s just soccer.

as Pitt fans, we’ve been suffering our whole lives.

but hopefully now, Victory Heights will be packed on game days. It really is a cool experience being up there under the lights in a packed stadium. Even for the casual soccer fan, which the program hopes there are now more of after this season, it’s a blast for any sports fan. And if the casual fan needs to see goals, there will be plenty of them next season.

Last edited:
They looked like the Penguins when they were stacked and not scoring. Sometimes you just have to put the ball on the net and get a junk goal, dont need to rip it at the corner every shot.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I’ll add this. The club that I follow passionately lost a game earlier this week vs. a rival who is much lesser of a team. My team had possession for 80% of the game, and lost 1-0 because the midfielder passed the ball back to his own goal, but his keeper wasn’t in the goal to receive the ball. It ended up in the back of the net.

If Pitt had lost that way, that would be pitting. Pitt can hold their heads high. They showed they belonged there last night...and hopefully they get back.

Very well played game by both sides. Pitt was impressive and dominated the ball much of the game. IU often plays/wins big games (like in BTT title game vs PSU, even playing a man down to win in PKs), with that kind of Defensive style. Just very good at not letting teams get many good shots on goal and having enough fire power to take advantage of offensive opportunities late.

Looks like Pitt has a lot to be excited about in their soccer future. Best of luck next season and beyond.

Gotta love Sean Miller Fan’s take though of IU being that of “mid-tier ACC team” though. 🤦‍♂️👍.

Soccer is a strange sport. Not many sports you can dominate all game and lose. Maybe hockey when you run into a goalie who is on fire.

Plenty of chances they didn't convert. Give IU credit, they hung in there and buried it when they had a chance.

I've mentioned before I watch very little soccer outside of world cup matches. These were fun to watch.

Total domination for most of the time, but when didn't convert sensed they were probably doomed. Don't think this one was same ole pitt but more never being there vs a blueblood and after not even having their own soccer field for 100 yrs.

Pitting would have been given up a late lead to lose. We out played IU, a soccer blueblood if there ever was one, and they made one great play, we hit the post and missed our best chances. I mean, nothing much more to say. Pitt was a better team and should be a Final 4 candidate next year. Sometimes you have to go through this before you can win.

Soccer is a strange sport. Not many sports you can dominate all game and lose. Maybe hockey when you run into a goalie who is on fire.

Plenty of chances they didn't convert. Give IU credit, they hung in there and buried it when they had a chance.

I've mentioned before I watch very little soccer outside of world cup matches. These were fun to watch.
Yeah. I gotta agree. Anyone can beat you on any given night in most sports...but soccer is definitely that sport that you you can play a game really well, like a basketball team that wins by 30, yet still lose.

still, now that I’ve reflected on the game a bit more, I gotta give IU credit. They weren’t thoroughly outplayed. They defended well and they created chances for themselves. That’s what it takes to win and Pitt has won plenty of games the same way. I think in many ways our quarterfinal match vs Washington was like that. I think Huskies fans probably feel like the game was theirs for the taking, yet Pitt won 3-0.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Gotta love Sean Miller Fan’s take though of IU being that of “mid-tier ACC team” though. 🤦‍♂️👍.
Indiana was one of the worst teams I have seen Pitt play this year. I am sorry but that is true. And that actually helped Indiana I think because Pitt is not used to ACC teams sitting back and defending for 90 minutes. Those mid to bottom level ACC teams are legit. They come out and play. This was the first game Pitt played where they had the ball the whole game

Bottom line. Pitt had an opportunity right in front of the net for an easy goal and the kick was high. Indiana didn't miss.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Very well played game by both sides. Pitt was impressive and dominated the ball much of the game. IU often plays/wins big games (like in BTT title game vs PSU, even playing a man down to win in PKs), with that kind of Defensive style. Just very good at not letting teams get many good shots on goal and having enough fire power to take advantage of offensive opportunities late.

Looks like Pitt has a lot to be excited about in their soccer future. Best of luck next season and beyond.

Regular posters of this board understand that Sean Miller Fan is our, "Special Poster", and pretty much ignore anything and everything he says.

Good luck Monday night.

Indiana was one of the worst teams I have seen Pitt play this year. I am sorry but that is true. And that actually helped Indiana I think because Pitt is not used to ACC teams sitting back and defending for 90 minutes. Those mid to bottom level ACC teams are legit. They come out and play. This was the first game Pitt played where they had the ball the whole game
based on the one game you saw them play-which they won.

every relevant poll, including the coaches’ poll, had both Pitt and IU top 3 going into the playoffs. But……

IU is “one of the worst teams I’ve seen Pitt play all year”

SMF knows soccer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
based on the one game you saw them play-which they won.

every relevant poll, including the coaches’ poll, had both Pitt and IU top 3 going into the playoffs. But……

IU is “one of the worst teams I’ve seen Pitt play all year”

SMF knows soccer.
For the record, it was SMF who said that and not me. Your quote from above is messed up. I know you know that, but I don’t want anyone else thinking I said that because I don’t agree with it. Part of soccer is understanding your strengths and weaknesses and understanding your opponents strengths and weaknesses and set up your tactics based on them. Indiana obviously accepted that they were going to suffer and they figured out a way to win. Hats off to them.

For the record, it was SMF who said that and not me. Your quote from above is messed up. I know you know that, but I don’t want anyone else thinking I said that because I don’t agree with it. Part of soccer is understanding your strengths and weaknesses and understanding your opponents strengths and weaknesses and set up your tactics based on them. Indiana obviously accepted that they were going to suffer and they figured out a way to win. Hats off to them.
No my bad-I had been typing an unfinished response to your post when I replied to SMF.

Look, another thing that if it was someone else I wouldn't believe that they were dumb enough to actually think this way. But it's you, so I have no doubt you do.
How much better do you think Indiana is than

Duke
UVa
ND
VT
Etc

Did you watch Pitt play those teams? I did. They played them direct....and yes Pitt beat them all but I never had the feeling that Pitt was overwhelmingly better like I did vs IU. I realizs IU parked the bus and defended but they really had no choice. They were far inferior. They only had 1, maybe 2 players who would start for us.

I dont know why this is so hard to believe. They waltzed through a weak, league, somehow losing to NW and drawing PSU. Needed PKs to beat St. FRANCIS BROOKLYN, and were outplayed by 2 Big East teams in the next 2 games. They arent that good. They are lucky and sometimes in soccer, that's all you need. They are going to win a NC by beating 1 legit team the entire season.

How much better do you think Indiana is than

Duke
UVa
ND
VT
Etc

Enough so that Indiana will be playing for the national championship on Monday night, while Duke, Virginia and Notre Dame weren't even good enough to make the tournament.

If Seton Hall is not a "legit team" then what does that make the Virginia Tech team that they played in the tournament? You touted Georgetown as a national championship contender that you were glad was in the opposite half of the bracket from Pitt, so when they played Seton Hall for the Big East championship, remind us all again, who won that game?

Of course that brings up the point that if Marshall is not a "legit team" then how do you account for the fact that Marshall actually beat that national title contender Georgetown, right after they beat national title contender Clemson? Of course you don't account for any of that, because you are completely and utterly clueless.

And proudly so.

Enough so that Indiana will be playing for the national championship on Monday night, while Duke, Virginia and Notre Dame weren't even good enough to make the tournament.

If Seton Hall is not a "legit team" then what does that make the Virginia Tech team that they played in the tournament? You touted Georgetown as a national championship contender that you were glad was in the opposite half of the bracket from Pitt, so when they played Seton Hall for the Big East championship, remind us all again, who won that game?

Of course that brings up the point that if Marshall is not a "legit team" then how do you account for the fact that Marshall actually beat that national title contender Georgetown, right after they beat national title contender Clemson? Of course you don't account for any of that, because you are completely and utterly clueless.

And proudly so.
VT went .500 in the ACC. Barely made the NCAAT due to their record. Were up 2-1 vs SHU when they went down a man. Still had chances to win in regulation. Played SHU to a draw but were eliminated on PKs. VT is absolutely every bit as good as Indiana.

Had Duke, UVa, ND etc got to play in the ACC then got to to play SFB, Marquette, and SHU, they absolutely could have made the College Cup. You dont understand soccer and you dont watch the games

VT went .500 in the ACC. Barely made the NCAAT due to their record. Were up 2-1 vs SHU when they went down a man. Still had chances to win in regulation. Played SHU to a draw but were eliminated on PKs. VT is absolutely every bit as good as Indiana.

Had Duke, UVa, ND etc got to play in the ACC then got to to play SFB, Marquette, and SHU, they absolutely could have made the College Cup. You dont understand soccer and you dont watch the games

You are completely and utterly clueless, and proudly so.

You are completely and utterly clueless, and proudly so.
You dont watch the games, you dont know. You aren't smart enough to realize that a team from a weak conference can get lucky in a single elimination tournament, needing PKs to advance past an NEC team, having to come back in the 70th minute vs Marquette, were badly outplayed by an SHU team (outshot 14-3) that ACC also-ran VT drew despite playing a man down and badly outplayed by Pitt.

Its soccer, these types of "runs" happen. Indiana is not very good. They may win the NC and I wont change my opinion and I am a million percent correct. They may have not made the NCAAT out of the ACC. They are the Greece 2004 team.

You dont watch the games, you dont know.

I will absolutely guarantee you that I have watched more college soccer in my lifetime than you have, and the disparity is so great that if I never watched another minute of it the rest of my life that on the day you died you still wouldn't have caught up.

This is your level of thinking:

Clemson: national title contender
Team that beat Clemson: not a national title contender

Georgetown: national title contender
Team that beat Georgetown: not a national title contender
Other team that beat Georgetown: not a national title contender

Wake Forest: national title contender
Team that beat Wake Forest: not a national title contender

Pitt: national title contender
Team that beat Pitt: not a national title contender

Seriously, is there one thing, even one, that you got right about this tournament?

You dont watch the games, you dont know. You aren't smart enough to realize that a team from a weak conference can get lucky in a single elimination tournament, needing PKs to advance past an NEC team, having to come back in the 70th minute vs Marquette, were badly outplayed by an SHU team (outshot 14-3) that ACC also-ran VT drew despite playing a man down and badly outplayed by Pitt.

Its soccer, these types of "runs" happen. Indiana is not very good. They may win the NC and I wont change my opinion and I am a million percent correct. They may have not made the NCAAT out of the ACC. They are the Greece 2004 team.
So Pitt can manage to Pitt the bed regardless of sport......Nice to know. Your schtick is ridiculous regardless of the sport being discussed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT