ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/Kentucky

Woohoo! Pitt played great, and deserved to win!

Half of the teams in the Elite Eight are unseeded. It could still be five out of eight if Marshall can come back and beat Indiana.

Reactions: Chaos
Hopefully the game will be during the day if it's Saturday since volleyball is playing Friday night, and if they win, Saturday night.

Great comeback. I didn’t think this team had the magic this year but I was mistaken. 3 acc teams in the elite 8

I was able to pick up a ticket at Pittsburgh Panthers.com, but as soon as I purchased it, they took down the listing. I got the confirmation email and the ticket, but I did notice that it was for Thursday.

On another note, I love that there is no injury stoppage time. I really wish the international game would go to this.
Well, in college soccer they stop the clock when there is an injured player, so it washes out.

It’s still a better system though because stoppage time in pro soccer is guesswork and subject to manipulation. Real Madrid scoring in the 14th minute of 6 minutes of extra time for example.

The World Cup is doing a better job I think with an extra official who keeps track of all of the delays with a stop watch.

Great win. Gotta beat Portland now

FYI The UK player badly broke his leg.

Watching live, I didnt think it was a foul (though it clearly was), then I thought, ok, maybe yellow. However, when you slo-mo it, his slip caused is right leg to awkwardly rise and hit the UK player directly. It wasn't on purpose. But it was very had contact high up on the leg near the knee. How much does intent have to be factored in? Because if that doesn't matter, I can understand why the red was shown

The Elite Eight is now set. Unseeded Pitt plays unseeded Portland. The winner of that game would play the winner of 12th seeded UNC-Greensboro and 13th seeded Indiana. Third seed Syracuse plays unseeded Vermont. The winner of that game will play the winner of seven seed Duke and unseeded Creighton.

It seems the committee did a particularly poor job seeding teams this year.

The Elite Eight is now set. Unseeded Pitt plays unseeded Portland. The winner of that game would play the winner of 12th seeded UNC-Greensboro and 13th seeded Indiana. Third seed Syracuse plays unseeded Vermont. The winner of that game will play the winner of seven seed Duke and unseeded Creighton.

It seems the committee did a particularly poor job seeding teams this year.
Do you know day/time of Pitt's next game? Thanks.

18 games so far in the tournament between a seeded team and an unseeded team. The seeded teams were 10-8 in those games.

If you take out the games decided on PKs it's 8-7-3.

18 games so far in the tournament between a seeded team and an unseeded team. The seeded teams were 10-8 in those games.

If you take out the games decided on PKs it's 8-7-3.

The nature of the sport produces upsets but they need to do a better job seeding. I am not tasked with the responsibility of assessing teams but I could have told you that Kentucky should have been a 4 or 5 seed. Just too weak of a schedule. I was very happy to see them as the seeded team in our bracket and posted that. I didn't think we'd get past Akron though. FWIW, I think Akron was better than UK

[/QUOTE]

I was able to get my ticket at pittsburghpanthers.com before they removed the ability to do so, and I see that my mobile ticket was changed from 12/1 to 12/3, with a 1 pm start time.
Awesome that they were able to work around the volleyball matches. Pitt plays Friday vs Colgate at 7, and will play Sat evening if they win Friday. Could be a great weekend at Pitt!

Watching live, I didnt think it was a foul (though it clearly was), then I thought, ok, maybe yellow. However, when you slo-mo it, his slip caused is right leg to awkwardly rise and hit the UK player directly. It wasn't on purpose. But it was very had contact high up on the leg near the knee. How much does intent have to be factored in? Because if that doesn't matter, I can understand why the red was shown
Like I said last night, the Duke players I talked to as they were watching said that it should not have been a Red, and most likely not even a Yellow. A foul, absolutely. But not a Red.

The guy slipped. He did not try to do that.

Like I said last night, the Duke players I talked to as they were watching said that it should not have been a Red, and most likely not even a Yellow. A foul, absolutely. But not a Red.

The guy slipped. He did not try to do that.

How much does intent factor in though? I get that he didn't try to to do it but his slip caused his right leg to come up and potentially break the leg of the other player. Had he tried to do that, I think its a red but because he slipped, it shouldn't be? I am honestly asking.

How much does intent factor in though? I get that he didn't try to to do it but his slip caused his right leg to come up and potentially break the leg of the other player. Had he tried to do that, I think its a red but because he slipped, it shouldn't be? I am honestly asking.
I don't know enough about soccer to know the answer either, but I assume since the result of the play was a compound fracture that the ref reacted to that. The play didn't seem that bad to me, but I'm definitely no expert.

I don't know enough about soccer to know the answer either, but I assume since the result of the play was a compound fracture that the ref reacted to that. The play didn't seem that bad to me, but I'm definitely no expert.

I am just curious. It was definitely unintentional but if the result of a play is a compound fracture, isnt that evidence that the red was correct? I know the ref didn't know it at the time but how else could you break your leg in a 50/50 challenge by a clean tackle?

That’s as good an answer as any. Ref sees a compound fracture, and thinks the infraction was violent. Problem is, he obviously fell down and that simply wasn’t a decision the Pitt player made, intention or not, that resulted in what should have been a card IMO.

I am just curious. It was definitely unintentional but if the result of a play is a compound fracture, isnt that evidence that the red was correct? I know the ref didn't know it at the time but how else could you break your leg in a 50/50 challenge by a clean tackle?
It’s a gray area because it wasn’t a tackle as I remember it. No rule covers a player falling into a player like that last night. Unless you look at the play and think it was a reckless and irresponsible with his challenge. I didn’t see it like that.

If I slip and and fall and on the way down elbow the other player in the face and cause a nose bleed or concussion. Intent was a play on the ball not on the players face. The fact is, from the rear angle he runs in gets a touch on the ball and his feet slide across the grass. Did he go in too hard, maybe, but if he doesn’t slip on wet grass he runs forward clean with the ball.

Reactions: jctrack
Right, if you barrel into somebody in an unsafe play, yeah, you could get a Red. If you try a bicycle kick and it is unsafe and crack someone in the head, yeah, you can get a Red. There are other reasons as well.

It’s just a hard one in this case. The folks I have talked with about the play, i.e. the boys on Duke’s team who were watching at the same time we were, did not think it should be a Red.

They, and I, thought it was a foul, maybe a Yellow, but, not a Red because there was a slip, not a mad running over the dude from UK.

We surmised that the ref panicked a bit, also that the game being at Kentucky might have played into it. We figure he saw the snapped leg and made the delayed call.

Right, if you barrel into somebody in an unsafe play, yeah, you could get a Red. If you try a bicycle kick and it is unsafe and crack someone in the head, yeah, you can get a Red. There are other reasons as well.

It’s just a hard one in this case. The folks I have talked with about the play, i.e. the boys on Duke’s team who were watching at the same time we were, did not think it should be a Red.

They, and I, thought it was a foul, maybe a Yellow, but, not a Red because there was a slip, not a mad running over the dude from UK.

We surmised that the ref panicked a bit, also that the game being at Kentucky might have played into it. We figure he saw the snapped leg and made the delayed call.
Yeah. Usually when there’s an injury, it’s due to a careless or reckless tackle. The word tackle is written into the language of the rules for a red card. So when the ref saw the injury, it’s like he assumed it was in the act of a tackle, which I don’t remember it being. There was nothing careless or reckless about the play that I remember. Just a freak thing.

The soccer gods are the cruelest gods in sports. But they saw this one was wrong and were with us in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT