ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/Kentucky

Right, if you barrel into somebody in an unsafe play, yeah, you could get a Red. If you try a bicycle kick and it is unsafe and crack someone in the head, yeah, you can get a Red. There are other reasons as well.

It’s just a hard one in this case. The folks I have talked with about the play, i.e. the boys on Duke’s team who were watching at the same time we were, did not think it should be a Red.

They, and I, thought it was a foul, maybe a Yellow, but, not a Red because there was a slip, not a mad running over the dude from UK.

We surmised that the ref panicked a bit, also that the game being at Kentucky might have played into it. We figure he saw the snapped leg and made the delayed call.

Its a tough call for sure. Not sure I've ever seen a play similar to it. Where are people hearing he had a compound fracture? The coach is quoted in this article saying he is recovering and will be fine long term. That doesn't mean it isn't a compound fracture but for an injury that serious, you'd think more info would have come out.

Reactions: artp5
Its a tough call for sure. Not sure I've ever seen a play similar to it. Where are people hearing he had a compound fracture? The coach is quoted in this article saying he is recovering and will be fine long term. That doesn't mean it isn't a compound fracture but for an injury that serious, you'd think more info would have come out.
We, me and the boys who play for Duke, think his leg was snapped and that is what the ref reacted to. It was completely unintentional and one of those freak things that happen. My worst injury in a soccer game was a broken kneecap. It was just a freak hit with another guy. Shit happens.

A red card requires either (1) a deliberate attempt to stop a potential scoring chance or (2) serious foul play or (3) biting or spitting at someone or (4) violent conduct or (5) offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures.

If there is a requirement of intent, then that should not have been a red card.

The rule doesn’t specify intent for a “serious foul play” but the IFAB Laws of The Game defines “serious foul play” as “a tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality.”

Again, no specific mention of intent, but IMO intentional conduct or at a minimum recklessly negligent conduct is implied. I don’t think either was present here.

The Pitt player slipped and went down first. The Kentucky player essentially crashed into him. To be fair, the Kentucky player had no choice. As for the Pitt player, if you have a player barreling down on you, the instinctive reaction is to protect yourself. If you are standing, you likely would raise your arms to protect yourself; if you are lying on your back, you would raise your legs to protect yourself.

It’s instinct, not intent. It wasn’t reckless conduct IMO. So for me it’s not a red card. It’s probably not even a yellow. It’s just a very unfortunate accident.

Will the player with the red card be able to play in the next game?

The rule in college is that a red card is an automatic one game suspension. I can't imagine it's different in the tournament than it is in the regular season.

I think the only way he would not be suspended would be if they appealed the red card (I don't even know if the NCAA allows that) and have it overturned. Which seems really unlikely.

The rule in college is that a red card is an automatic one game suspension. I can't imagine it's different in the tournament than it is in the regular season.

I think the only way he would not be suspended would be if they appealed the red card (I don't even know if the NCAA allows that) and have it overturned. Which seems really unlikely.

I think Leerman is better anyway but he's been hurt off and on.

ADVERTISEMENT