ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt loses to WVU

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
All things being equal, maybe one of the most disappointing performances of the Vidovich era. WVU has a good soccer program and returned 10 starters from a team who beat Marshall last season and barely missed the NCAA Tournament but they don't have the type of quality Pitt has. It kinda reminded me of that typical Pitt/WVU basketball/football game where we'd come in highly ranked but the crowd would will WVU to a victory. Studies have shown that home field advantage means more in soccer than any other sport but that doesn't usually play a large role in college soccer. But last night I believe it did. The place was packed, mostly with students and they were loud and into it. WVU seemed to feed off of that. They were faster than Pitt and much more aggressive. I don't think I've ever seen a Pitt game with that many slide tackles.

WVU scored first on a horrible mistake by the GK, Campuzzano. He is always so complacent with the ball and this time, as he was taking a year to get rid of it, a WVU player slide tackled it away from him which lead directly to a goal. It was like a "blooper" goal you'd see on ESPN.

Not sure what the deal is Dexter. He didn't start again but did play some, scoring the only goal on a sequence he started by winning the ball in WVU's half, making a nice move, passing it, then getting it back and scoring. My guess is they like Mort's defense and workrate and are willing to give up some offense and Mort hasn't been bad but Dexter is a highly skilled offensive player.

WVU's second goal came late on a great cross to a D2 transfer who got in front of Loefflesand.

This wasn't "Indiana." WVU looked better than Pitt and outplayed them, outhustled them, and outshot them. That's worrisome. I mean its a good team, picked to win the MAC over Akron, probably mid-level ACC, but there's no excuse for being outplayed and outworked like we were. Maybe you can write it off as one of those games where it was the NC to the home team and their fans and that home team just wanted it so bad, but still, worrisome.

So we finally seem to be elite at something, but can't follow through and the "pitting" continues :)
I wouldn’t go that far. WVU is probably a Top 15/20 team and they played as if it was the World Cup final. Credit to them. They were flying around, sacrificing their bodies, etc. You could tell how much it meant to them. And I think the crowd/atmosphere really bothered Pitt. They're not used to playing in front of raucous away crowds. It reminded me of that Brentford/Arsenal game. You could feel how badly WVU and their fans wanted it. WVU played at a different speed last night.

I think Vidovich has to make some lineup changes:

- Dexter has to start at LM. Jacquesson back to RM with Mort as a sub. It worked last year and now if you want to count the Maryland game (and I know its just an exhibition), that's 2 losses already. Dexter needs to play. Period.

- I think Mirkovic needs to be replaced by Feitosa. Mirkovic is often the forgotten man in a crowded midfield but he just never seems to make an impact. Feitosa has played sparingly in the first 2 games and managed to get off 2 laser beam shots (both too high). I left Pitt/Duq in the 75th minute so when I put it on back home, I saw that Feitosa shot and the announcers were saying how Vidocich really likes him. Not the token compliment but they made it seem as if he's the top freshman. He needs to play.

- I wonder what Mort would be like as an outside back. He has speed and physicality but not great offensively. Seems like he'd make a great right back when Jasper leaves and maybe could take Crivello's spot as LB?

I’m not worried. It’s early and league play hasn’t begun. These games are all opportunities to learn things about yourself and get better. Congrats to wVu. They are a soccer school.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I’m not worried. It’s early and league play hasn’t begun. These games are all opportunities to learn things about yourself and get better. Congrats to wVu. They are a soccer school.
Hopefully its the same wake up call that UNC gave them last year. The game has significance though as they need to have a Top 4 national seed to get a home game in the Elite 8 which means they can probably only lose 1 more game.

I can't remember the last time Alabama lost the first 2 games of the season...

Actually it wasn't even a sell out, let alone a standing room only type crowd.
I was a little surprised WVU didnt have a standing room crowd. But they were loud and into it. Much much louder than the Pitt/Duq crowd. Pitt, honestly, couldn't handle it. WVU was playing like they were on speed or whatever. Credit to them. They have a good team and if they play like that....at home....no one will beat them. Of course, when Georgia Southern rolls in and there's 83 people n attendance, I wouldn't expect the same type of effort

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT