ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Memories. Best and Worst moments

I remember on the fields to young dunk, on tv, it looked like fields was about to turn it over, because Sam wasn't on screen yet. Then he flew in as a trailer and emphatically slammed it. It was amazing.

Again this is my recollection of Pitt Memories of over 50 years. Again forgive my memory and spelling and there are no right or wrong answers.

Best moments.

1. Jerome Lane bringing down the backboard. How many times have we seen this replay. It really didn't hurt Bill Raffery's career with " Throw it down Jerome." Pitts immaculate reception moment.

2. Dejuan Blairs throw down of Thabeet of UConn.. It basically took UConn out of the game.

3. Levance's last second shot to down Duke in the Garden. Really a great game.

4 Ronald Ramon's last second shot to beat WVU. Just a great atmosphere and a dagger to the Mountaineers. Sweet.

Worst Moments

1 Tie. The kid from Vanderbilt 's last second shot to defeat Pitt in the NCAA's. The decision to foul or not to foul was debated for a long time. That defeat seemed to linger for a long time.

1a. Scotty Reynolds from Villanovas full court drive to stop Pitt's run to the final four in Boston. Don't know whether I will see a better shot for Pitt to get to the final four.

3 Nasir Robinson foul late in the game to lose in the tournament. It came out of nowhere.

Craziest moment. Pitt was playing in the EasternEight tournament at WVU. Tom Richards was backpedal ling at the half court and playfully patted Bob Huggins on the ass and the referee called his fifth foul.
Never saw anything like it. WVU hospitality.

So many great comments already, I'll just add one which really doesn't have anything directly to do with basketball.

Pitt is playing WVU at the Field House after we won the national championship in football. A WVU hoists up a sign that says:

"Dorsett Turns Pro...
Takes Pay Cut"

probably the only funny comment I've ever seen from a WVU fan.

El amin was arrested for pot during that summer after he won the title. My roommates and I took his mugshot picture, went to kinkos and blew that picture up really really big and put it on a neon pink sign. We thought no way would we get into the fieldhouse, instead the kid security guys let us in. This sucker was huge. We waited until right before the game with warmups and then pulled the sign up and began a Mary Juana chant. El amin saw it, gave us some claps above his head, and then we proceeded to get blown out that year...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT