ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt odds to make Final Four

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
+3025 per The Rivers

$50 wins if $1500 if they make it.

I just plunked down $50 on PSU + 1150 to ease my illness if they luck into a Final Four this year. Not sure $575 would do it though. They picked a great year to be good. Wouldn't it have been nice if any of our great Pitt teams had this weak of a field.

I wouldn't have a problem with the following teams making the Final Four, or even cutting down the nets there.
Gonzaga
Seton Hall
Dayton
Houston
San Diego St.
Those are the only teams I can stomach that are actually good enough to make that deep of a run. Kill me if WVU or the Nitters get there. Maybe if the Nitters make a run, some big money school will lure Chambers away. Maybe Jay Wright goes to the 76ers, and Chambers goes to Villanova.

You wouldn't think so, but he's off of Jay Wright's staff, so you never know. They might think he's done a great job at an impossible place to win, and that he'd crush it at Nova.

It took him a decade to make an NCAA Tournament. He's a sh!t coach that somehow lucked into a great player in Stevens and a great rim protector/rebounder in Watkins.

+3025 per The Rivers

I just plunked down $50 on PSU + 1150 to ease my illness if they luck into a Final Four this year. Not sure $575 would do it though. They picked a great year to be good. Wouldn't it have been nice if any of our great Pitt teams had this weak of a field.

I gotta either move back to PA or have a runner open up some accounts for me back home. With some of the stuff I’ve been told they put up it must literally be a candy store for a sharper player. Of course I’d probably get booted relatively quickly, but it would probably be worth it.

It took him a decade to make an NCAA Tournament. He's a sh!t coach that somehow lucked into a great player in Stevens and a great rim protector/rebounder in Watkins.
Everyone talks about Watkins, but he has been a platoon player for the most part with John Harrar. Harrar actually started Saturday with Watkins coming off the bench. He just can’t stay out of foul trouble and has stamina issues. Honestly, people need to talk more about PSU’s backcourt of Myron Jones, Curtis Jones and Myles Dread than Watkins. These guys are good shooters who can get hot and will have more impact on PSU making a run than Watkins. I don’t like it either, but they have their best team maybe ever and can make some noise. Of course, Chambers is their coach so they could flame out to a 13 or 14 seed just as easily.

Everyone talks about Watkins, but he has been a platoon player for the most part with John Harrar. Harrar actually started Saturday with Watkins coming off the bench. He just can’t stay out of foul trouble and has stamina issues. Honestly, people need to talk more about PSU’s backcourt of Myron Jones, Curtis Jones and Myles Dread than Watkins. These guys are good shooters who can get hot and will have more impact on PSU making a run than Watkins. I don’t like it either, but they have their best team maybe ever and can make some noise. Of course, Chambers is their coach so they could flame out to a 13 or 14 seed just as easily.
They are getting 5 tonight at Purdue. That’s a fishy line, as is UNC -1.5 at Wake. They have to win a game with Anthony back, right?

They are getting 5 tonight at Purdue. That’s a fishy line, as is UNC -1.5 at Wake. They have to win a game with Anthony back, right?

Wake is better than anyone thinks. Sarr is as good a 5 as there is in the league besides Carey and Childress is a real good player.

As for PSU and Watkins, his block rate and rebound rate have to be among the best in college hoops. Foul trouble or not, any team in America would take that.

As for PSU and Watkins, his block rate and rebound rate have to be among the best in college hoops. Foul trouble or not, any team in America would take that.
I’m not saying Watkins can’t be a factor, but if you watch them play, it is their backcourt — along with Stevens— that is the story of this year’s team, not Watkins. Harrar plays just as many minutes and is often in the game down the stretch in key moments over Watkins.

Wake is better than anyone thinks. Sarr is as good a 5 as there is in the league besides Carey and Childress is a real good player.

You confuse me SMF. One day you’re saying how this Pitt team hasn’t improved at all from last year because they’ve only beaten terrible teams like Wake.

A few days later you’re saying Wake is better than anyone thinks.

I’m not saying Watkins can’t be a factor, but if you watch them play, it is their backcourt — along with Stevens— that is the story of this year’s team, not Watkins. Harrar plays just as many minutes and is often in the game down the stretch in key moments over Watkins.
Yeah, I watched them play last week when they won on the road at Michigan State - that team is a whole lot more than just Stevens and Watkins. Stevens is the best player on the court most nights, for sure, but they have, like, five really good guards who can shoot it, and they probably go at least 9 deep. It sucks because it's Penn State, but just looking at the players they have on the court, and it looks like the type of team that typically does well in the tournament: effective, deep guard play, the team defends like crazy, and they have a few experienced upperclassmen who can get buckets when the team really needs them.

Reactions: JD1976
Yeah, I watched them play last week when they won on the road at Michigan State - that team is a whole lot more than just Stevens and Watkins. Stevens is the best player on the court most nights, for sure, but they have, like, five really good guards who can shoot it, and they probably go at least 9 deep. It sucks because it's Penn State, but just looking at the players they have on the court, and it looks like the type of team that typically does well in the tournament: effective, deep guard play, the team defends like crazy, and they have a few experienced upperclassmen who can get buckets when the team really needs them.

And that's why I have $50 on them to make the Four. I will still probably be sick for a week. If PSU Basketball makes a Final Four, I'm not sure I'd ever recover. My 1 sports wish is to see Pitt in a Final Four and if THAT program makes it before us, man o man.

And that's why I have $50 on them to make the Four. I will still probably be sick for a week. If PSU Basketball makes a Final Four, I'm not sure I'd ever recover. My 1 sports wish is to see Pitt in a Final Four and if THAT program makes it before us, man o man.
Yeah, it's tough to put too much faith in a team that doesn't really have *any* guys who have experience playing in big games, period, much less games deep in the NCAA tournament. But they've played pretty well in conference road games, they have the kind of roster that typically does well in March, and if they're able to win on the road at Purdue tonight, they could conceivably win the Big Ten...which is just an incredible sentence to type.

Yeah, it's tough to put too much faith in a team that doesn't really have *any* guys who have experience playing in big games, period, much less games deep in the NCAA tournament. But they've played pretty well in conference road games, they have the kind of roster that typically does well in March, and if they're able to win on the road at Purdue tonight, they could conceivably win the Big Ten...which is just an incredible sentence to type.

This cant be happening. Penn State? Pat Chambers? Rutgers?

Meanwhile, UNC sucks and Jamie Dixon is flat-lining. This some type of Twilight Zone we are in.

This cant be happening. Penn State? Pat Chambers? Rutgers?

Meanwhile, UNC sucks and Jamie Dixon is flat-lining. This some type of Twilight Zone we are in.
I'm way higher on Penn State than Rutgers. Rutgers can only win games at home, which doesn't bode well for them as we move into March. 16-0 at home and 1-5 on the road - with the only road win being at Nebraska, who sucks - is a massive split.

Reactions: BFo8
I'm way higher on Penn State than Rutgers. Rutgers can only win games at home, which doesn't bode well for them as we move into March. 16-0 at home and 1-5 on the road - with the only road win being at Nebraska, who sucks - is a massive split.

Yea, I don't think Rutgers is good at all. I have no idea how they are doing this. I think they are there with Miami and Wake at the bottom of the ACC and yet they are cruising through a brutal Big Ten. I cant figure that out.

Yea, I don't think Rutgers is good at all. I have no idea how they are doing this. I think they are there with Miami and Wake at the bottom of the ACC and yet they are cruising through a brutal Big Ten. I cant figure that out.
Rutgers is cruising in the Big Ten...as long as they're at home. They have road games at Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Purdue to end the year, and I think they lose all of them, as well as at least one of their remaining home games against Illinois or Maryland.

He didn't luck out on Stevens. He forked out some cash on those Philly guys. I have some cousins connected to the Philly basketball scene.

He didn't luck out on Stevens. He forked out some cash on those Philly guys. I have some cousins connected to the Philly basketball scene.
I think it's more than Lamar Stevens turning into one of the best players in the conference that was fortunate. No debating that Chambers put in the effort and made the "commitment" necessary to land Stevens and Carr in the first place. The same could be said for Watkins, who was a kid with big time qualification/eligibility/personal question marks that Chambers took when he was a high school sophomore. He's had his issues as a college player, but taking his commitment way back in 2013 was a gamble that has paid off, too.

Yea but everyone does that. Credit to him for making them the best offer. Its paid off. I also think he paid Stevens to come back to save his job but that's a total guess

+3025 per The Rivers

Terrible odds IMO, no one in their right mind should take that lol

Reactions: BFo8
Terrible odds IMO, no one in their right mind should take that lol

Ya they should pay you more than that if Penn State makes the final four.

I realize they’re ranked in the top 15 in the country right now but it’s still Penn State. Also, making the Final Four is really tough.

If Penn State makes the sweet 16, that’d be huge for them.

Ya they should pay you more than that if Penn State makes the final four.

I realize they’re ranked in the top 15 in the country right now but it’s still Penn State. Also, making the Final Four is really tough.

If Penn State makes the sweet 16, that’d be huge for them.

Are their 15 teams out there with a better chance at the FF than PSU? They have a superstar, good guards, and a rim protector. I'm not predicting they make it but they have a decent chance.

Another W for PSU tonight. They are in line for a 2 seed if they keep on winning. This is unbelievable.

Are their 15 teams out there with a better chance at the FF than PSU? They have a superstar, good guards, and a rim protector. I'm not predicting they make it but they have a decent chance.

I realize you are relatively new at this so I will give you a pass, but don’t ever bet that kind of crap as the books hold percentage on that is massive.

If you waited until the tournament started and just bet Pitt or PSU or whoever you chose on the money line every game and rolled it over each time until the Final Four you would get way, way, way better odds.

If you waited until the tournament started and just bet Pitt or PSU or whoever you chose on the money line every game and rolled it over each time until the Final Four you would get way, way, way better odds.

You'd think that would be obvious to someone as well versed in statistics as he says he is.

And of course the other advantage of playing it game by game is that if they do run into a particularly bad matchup in say the Sweet 16 you don't have to continue betting, you can just take your winnings to date and go home.

Another W for PSU tonight. They are in line for a 2 seed if they keep on winning. This is unbelievable.
If a team can win at Michigan State (#9 kenpom) and at Purdue (#18 kenpom) in a seven day span, then that's a team who can win games at neutral sites in March. They've certainly picked a good year to have their best team in school history, and they're genuinely a fun team to watch.

I have to agree that those odds don't seem all that great. You're already at +2000 ($50 to win $1,000) if you just pick the 8th favorite to win the Super Bowl next year. And Pitt isn't even going to be in the tournament, much less win four games in it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT