ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/Penn State a fun exercise.

No sane person would select Kerry Collins over Dan Marino. Stats in college, especially at QB, are basically meaningless, and especially so across decades.

Pitt has more college hall of famers and more NFL hall of famers. Plus several in line to be indicted when their careers are over. If we were looking at Pitt vs/ Notre Dame or USC, then clearly Pitt would come up short. But vs. Penn State Pitt has the advantage. And to even suggest that Penn State comes out ahead at RB? That's laughable.

Reactions: sherepower
If you are using Pro Bowls as your basis for determining who is better, than Franco has 9 PBs to Dorsett's 4 so I guess that makes Harris better right?

Curt Warner, Lydell Mitchell, and Larry Johnson were all very good running backs in the NFLCurt Warner, in particular, could have been a borderline HOF at a minimum had he not torn his ACL in 1984.

uh, no where did I say that? You did that making your quantity analysis. had to dig up a couple pro bowls to do so didn't ya? hahaha ....I just pointed out the absurdity of it....by the way, name Larry johnson should never really be used in conjunction with the word "quality" as the dude was a persona piece of crap. Now, do not make me track down an all-times bust list as I have work to do.

- Obviously Marino is #1 on the list and gives Pitt the QB edge. But it's hardly a distinguished list for either school. And Marino also lost his only game as a starter vs. PSU, so there's that

Lol. So there's what????? Marino started three times vs PSU, including as a freshman when he carved up psu in Beaver Stadium. The only game he didnt start was Pitt's 1980 win. Obviously jr and sr years didnt go nearly as well

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize Marino started the 1979 game (a 29-14 Pitt win). Everyone remembers the 1981 result. And for some reason I thought Marino was drafted after the 1981 season. Looks like he was the starter in 82 (a Pitt loss). So, he went 1-2 vs. PSU. My point still stands that Marino certainly gives Pitt the edge at QB, but if we're talking about a game between both all-time teams, I think PSU would hold up just fine given their success against him.

Thought we were talking PSU and Pitt players so not sure what Tom Brady has to do with anything.
comparative analogy not your strong point, eh kid? That's ok, Branch Joevidians often struggle with sane, rational conversation points.

Reactions: pittmeister
No sane person would select Kerry Collins over Dan Marino. Stats in college, especially at QB, are basically meaningless, and especially so across decades.

Pitt has more college hall of famers and more NFL hall of famers. Plus several in line to be indicted when their careers are over. If we were looking at Pitt vs/ Notre Dame or USC, then clearly Pitt would come up short. But vs. Penn State Pitt has the advantage. And to even suggest that Penn State comes out ahead at RB? That's laughable.

Why are stats in college meaningless? Because they don’t support your agenda? I feel Collins’s best season in college was better than Marino’s. You are free to feel otherwise.

As for running backs, I feel PSU has the advantage if you are strictly looking at college. Curtis Martin wasn’t much of a name when he was at Pitt while guys like Carter, Enis, Thomas, Warner, Johnson were all Heisman contenders. Lenny Moore and Franco Harris are both HOF NFL players so PSU has as many HOF RBs as Pitt does. Pitt’s 3rd best NFL RB(McCoy) has better stats than the 3rd best RB from PSU(Warner) but after those 3 players(Dorsett, Martin, McCoy), Pitt really doesn’t have much to hang its hat on with regards to successful NFL running backs while at least PSU has guys like Lydell Mitchel(over 6500 career rushing yards) and Larry Johnson(over 6000 career rushing yards). PSU’s top 5 running backs all time(based on NFL performance) is a very good list.

Uhh ...yes it is his agenda as it is his thread on his team's site.

Why do you post the topic on your team's site and discuss?

Why are stats in college meaningless? Because they don’t support your agenda? I feel Collins’s best season in college was better than Marino’s. You are free to feel otherwise.

As for running backs, I feel PSU has the advantage if you are strictly looking at college. Curtis Martin wasn’t much of a name when he was at Pitt while guys like Carter, Enis, Thomas, Warner, Johnson were all Heisman contenders. Lenny Moore and Franco Harris are both HOF NFL players so PSU has as many HOF RBs as Pitt does. Pitt’s 3rd best NFL RB(McCoy) has better stats than the 3rd best RB from PSU(Warner) but after those 3 players(Dorsett, Martin, McCoy), Pitt really doesn’t have much to hang its hat on with regards to successful NFL running backs while at least PSU has guys like Lydell Mitchel(over 6500 career rushing yards) and Larry Johnson(over 6000 career rushing yards). PSU’s top 5 running backs all time(based on NFL performance) is a very good list.

Agenda? Isn't that why you're here? Your posts have a familiar ring of stupidity that is unmistakable... You're that stooge PSUisNFLU from the Scout message board...Unfortunately you won't last very long over here...Have fun while it lasts... We have moderators over here...

The highest QB rating ever for a single season was Baker Mayfield in 2016. Does that mean he is a better QB than everyone else to ever play the position in college? According to you, yes. Colt Brennan had the 4th highest single season rating ever. Does that mean he is better than Collins and Marino?

And Curtis Martin was very good in college. Everyone knew it, but he had injury issues. He also played for some bad Pitt teams, but when healthy he was excellent. Dorsett is arguably a top 3 RB of all time, college or pro. Both him and Martin are in the top 10 for total NFL yardage. McCoy is closing in on the top 10, so 3 of the top 10 could be Pitt players in three years.

Don't be stupid.

I could go to 125 and there wouldn't be any more Panthers in the list. Pitt's entire "running back U" mantra is built on 3 guys. I doubt McCoy surpasses Franco Harris's career rushing yards but even if he did, Harris played the first half of his career back when they only had 14 game regular seasons so his career yardage would be much higher of he got to play 16 games per season like McCoy.

The problem with your logic is you think if player A rushes for more yards than player B, then player A is the better player. Curtis Martin has more career rushing yards than Jim Brown but you won't find one person alive that would rate Martin a better player than Brown.
Franco's yardage would also be much higher if he would not have run out of bounds so much to avoid getting hit.

The highest QB rating ever for a single season was Baker Mayfield in 2016. Does that mean he is a better QB than everyone else to ever play the position in college? According to you, yes. Colt Brennan had the 4th highest single season rating ever. Does that mean he is better than Collins and Marino?

And Curtis Martin was very good in college. Everyone knew it, but he had injury issues. He also played for some bad Pitt teams, but when healthy he was excellent. Dorsett is arguably a top 3 RB of all time, college or pro. Both him and Martin are in the top 10 for total NFL yardage. McCoy is closing in on the top 10, so 3 of the top 10 could be Pitt players in three years.

Don't be stupid.

We are also forgetting about Ironhead Heyward. He finished top 5 in the Heisman voting...

that's the problem with this "fun exercise," No chance you get any objectivity from either side... Our pitt guys kill those psu guys and well if you ask a Sandusky U fan, they'll say the opposite. My man here is talking about curt freakin warner for Christ sakes.. I mean if anything, go with DJ Dozier or Enis, who gives a crap about curt warner... This leads to another question, do you take into consideration NFL career.

I think I was being objective. I mean a guy obviously shows his biasness when he even suggests Collins over Marino. I am talking body of work. You have to take pro careers along with college, because that is an obvious metric of how great a player was.
Nate Peterman and Tom Savage both had better stats than either Marino or Collins. But Marino is still the cream of the crop.

Nate Peterman and Tom Savage both had better stats than either Marino or Collins. But Marino is still the cream of the crop.

Ha ha. Nate Peterman has a better career QB rating than Collins, so I guess that means he was the better QB!

Reactions: Pidoublet
ironhead heyward? Yeah, he'd be a starter.. You think a Heisman finalist would be behind Darrin hall or chawntez moss?

I mean, would he be on the depth chart for the all time Pitt team at RB? You have Goldberg, Dorsett, Martin, McCoy, Lewis, and some others in the mix, and Goldberg and Dorsett have to be on the list, so who comes after them?

Why are stats (like rushing yards) in pros meaningless?

How many RBs do you usually give carries to in a game? How many usually dress for a game?

I mean, would he be on the depth chart for the all time Pitt team at RB? You have Goldberg, Dorsett, Martin, McCoy, Lewis, and some others in the mix, and Goldberg and Dorsett have to be on the list, so who comes after them?
oh sorry HTP. good question, 5 deep, I'd say yes but I know zilch, embarrassed to say, about Goldberg. IMO, lets say TD and Goldberg on there, I'd still put heyward on it. Being a Heisman finalist while at pitt puts him on there IMO.

oh sorry HTP. good question, 5 deep, I'd say yes but I know zilch, embarrassed to say, about Goldberg. IMO, lets say TD and Goldberg on there, I'd still put heyward on it. Being a Heisman finalist while at pitt puts him on there IMO.

Actually Goldberg was a Heisman finalist twice. He finished second in his junior season and third in his senior season...

I saw David Jones in the Patriot News today posted an all time PSU position team. Which got me thinking, who would win an All Time Pitt vs All Time Penn State team. I am posting it here because obviously want PSU fans input too. But this would be one helluva game. I am not sure totally who would be on the teams but definitely guesses on my part. I do know this, I personally think Pitt has the better all time team. It is obviously close. But let me put my rosters out there.

QB. Pitt Dan Marino/Matt Cavanaugh
PSU: Kerry Collins/Todd Blackledge
Advantage Pitt. By a wide margin. Dan Marino is considered one of the greatest QB's of all time.

RB: Pitt: Tony Dorsett/Curtis Martin/Lesean McCoy/Ironhead Heywood
PSU: Curt Warner/Saiquon Barkley/Franco Harris/Kijana Carter
An embarrassment of riches on both sides. There are guys not on this list who would be "all timers" for other schools like Dion Lewis, Lydell Mitchell, Curvin Richards, John Cappeletti, Marshall Goldburg, Lenny Moore. etc...
Advantage. Wow. Maybe a slight edge to Pitt. Two NFL Hall of Famers vs one. But Nitters, you can argue a draw here and I couldn't argue.

WR: Pitt: Larry Fitzgerald/Antonio Bryant/Jon Baldwin/Gordon Jones/Eric Crabtree
PSU: Kenny Jackson/Bryant Johnson/ExCon McDuffie/Bobby Engram/Allen Robinson
Advantage? Pitt. What I see in alot of this, if you go top 4 or top 5 Pitt has an advantage but top 10 PSU has advantage. Pitt has more high end talent, PSU more depth of talent.

TE: Pitt: Ditka. (all you need to say) Jim Corbett/Joe Walton
PSU: Ted Kwalick/Kyle Brady/Mickey Shuler
Advantage? Ditka. But PSU's threesome here are pretty good. Maybe draw. But Ditka. Come on.

OL: Starting Pitt Fralic OT/MayOG/Stepnoski C/ Rueben Brown OG/ Jimbo Covert OT. Backups: Otah/Brzoza/Dixon/Dorian Johnson
Starting PSU: Dorney OT/MunchakOG/WisniewskiC/FarrellOG/Need some help here Nitters. Backups. AQ Shipley/Glenn Ressler/Help???

Advantage: Pitt.

Will get into defense into the next post. Again, Pitt seems to have the higher end starters, but PSU has the greater depth (except at OL).

I'd give PSU's o-line a little more credit. There was a game played in the 80's, i'd have to look back, but you had a couple of lines that were just really good.

Why are you guys even arguing with a Nitter. Don't you know that everything at Pedo U is far Superior to anything thing else in this world. They think and believe the world stop and ends with Pedo U. This Barcley26 guy is proof in point

I know. I lost my enthusiasm for doing the rest of this as you can see. Some of these Nitters, well hell they don't believe anyone was raped, why should I think they could approach this conversation with subjectivity.

When I looked at this, it certainly looks like if you put your best 22 against 22, Pitt has the edge. If you put your next 22 against their 22, PSU has the edge.

My point for alot of these Nitters who so dismiss us as a rival, forget just how many really great football players played at Pitt. We are not Indiana or Rutgers.

I saw David Jones in the Patriot News today posted an all time PSU position team. Which got me thinking, who would win an All Time Pitt vs All Time Penn State team. I am posting it here because obviously want PSU fans input too. But this would be one helluva game. I am not sure totally who would be on the teams but definitely guesses on my part. I do know this, I personally think Pitt has the better all time team. It is obviously close. But let me put my rosters out there.

QB. Pitt Dan Marino/Matt Cavanaugh
PSU: Kerry Collins/Todd Blackledge
Advantage Pitt. By a wide margin. Dan Marino is considered one of the greatest QB's of all time.

RB: Pitt: Tony Dorsett/Curtis Martin/Lesean McCoy/Ironhead Heywood
PSU: Curt Warner/Saiquon Barkley/Franco Harris/Kijana Carter
An embarrassment of riches on both sides. There are guys not on this list who would be "all timers" for other schools like Dion Lewis, Lydell Mitchell, Curvin Richards, John Cappeletti, Marshall Goldburg, Lenny Moore. etc...
Advantage. Wow. Maybe a slight edge to Pitt. Two NFL Hall of Famers vs one. But Nitters, you can argue a draw here and I couldn't argue.

WR: Pitt: Larry Fitzgerald/Antonio Bryant/Jon Baldwin/Gordon Jones/Eric Crabtree
PSU: Kenny Jackson/Bryant Johnson/ExCon McDuffie/Bobby Engram/Allen Robinson
Advantage? Pitt. What I see in alot of this, if you go top 4 or top 5 Pitt has an advantage but top 10 PSU has advantage. Pitt has more high end talent, PSU more depth of talent.

TE: Pitt: Ditka. (all you need to say) Jim Corbett/Joe Walton
PSU: Ted Kwalick/Kyle Brady/Mickey Shuler
Advantage? Ditka. But PSU's threesome here are pretty good. Maybe draw. But Ditka. Come on.

OL: Starting Pitt Fralic OT/MayOG/Stepnoski C/ Rueben Brown OG/ Jimbo Covert OT. Backups: Otah/Brzoza/Dixon/Dorian Johnson
Starting PSU: Dorney OT/MunchakOG/WisniewskiC/FarrellOG/Need some help here Nitters. Backups. AQ Shipley/Glenn Ressler/Help???

Advantage: Pitt.

Will get into defense into the next post. Again, Pitt seems to have the higher end starters, but PSU has the greater depth (except at OL).

Honestly I have no idea how anyone can say the rbs are even remotely close. You freaking have barkly on the list!! That tells you all you need right there. Conner is better than him and where is Conner onot our list. Pitt has such an advantage here. And we have about 10 more legit pro backs that aren't listed

Honestly I have no idea how anyone can say the rbs are even remotely close. You freaking have barkly on the list!! That tells you all you need right there. Conner is better than him and where is Conner onot our list. Pitt has such an advantage here. And we have about 10 more legit pro backs that aren't listed

Well.......we also have Wayne the train DiBartola. Dentist extraordinaire. Game. Set. Match.

Reactions: Pidoublet
I'm curious. In what aspect is Conner better than Saquon? Speed, receiving, blocking, eluding tackles, breaking tackles?

I'm curious. In what aspect is Conner better than Saquon? Speed, receiving, blocking, eluding tackles, breaking tackles?

That is HIS opinion. Now, tell us in what aspect is Barkley better than Conner?

Heyward, 4301 yards, 30 TD
Barlow 3986, 30 TD
Randy McMillan 3876 24 TD

So if Pitt has running backs 1-2-3.. and numbers, say 8-9-10... Pitt certainly has the advantage.. right?

That is HIS opinion. Now, tell us in what aspect is Barkley better than Conner?
I think he can answer the question himself. Obviously you didn't. Barkley is stronger, significantly faster, a great blocker, receiver, and more elusive. Both are great players, but Barkley is elite, he just is.

2016 Pitt vs PSU:

Barkley: 20/85 yds. 4.2 ypc. 4 TD's
Conner: 22/117 yds. 5.3 ypc. 1 TD

Reactions: Jpripper88
To say that RB isn't basically a coin flip is just as stubborn as saying Marino and whoever else Pitt has doesn't clearly get the edge at QB. If you look at it objectively, a case could easily be made for either school at RB. It's not night and day.

Yeah, a couple of top RBs drafted from PSU turned out to be busts in the NFL for different reasons. It doesn't invalidate them as all-time greats at the college level. And while normally it would be nonsensical to include a current player like Barkley in this list--his talent is ridiculous. Everyone can see that. He'll be at the Heisman ceremony next year if he stays healthy.

As for scoffing at the notion that DE is a wash, I think I could match up PSU DE's in just the last 20 years against what Pitt has all-time.

The bottom line is that both programs have produced some amazing players over the years.

I think he can answer the question himself. Obviously you didn't. Barkley is stronger, significantly faster, a great blocker, receiver, and more elusive. Both are great players, but Barkley is elite, he just is.

That's your OPINION. Here is head to head...

2016 Pitt vs PSU

Barkley: 20/85 yds. 4.2 ypc. 4 TD's
Conner: 22/117 yds. 5.3 ypc. 1 TD

yep best damn PSU back this side of Kajina Carter or Blair Thomas....I sort of remember those guys being (pardon the six million dollar man reference) built bigger stronger and faster. I remember them being...what is the word I'm searching for here?...oh yeah, elite (they just were)...

Conner vs Clemson:

20 carries 132 yards 6.6 ypc. 1 TD

I'd say that's pretty elite against the national champs on the road...

To say that RB isn't basically a coin flip is just as stubborn as saying Marino and whoever else Pitt has doesn't clearly get the edge at QB. If you look at it objectively, a case could easily be made for either school at RB. It's not night and day.

Yeah, a couple of top RBs drafted from PSU turned out to be busts in the NFL for different reasons. It doesn't invalidate them as all-time greats at the college level. And while normally it would be nonsensical to include a current player like Barkley in this list--his talent is ridiculous. Everyone can see that. He'll be at the Heisman ceremony next year if he stays healthy.

As for scoffing at the notion that DE is a wash, I think I could match up PSU DE's in just the last 20 years against what Pitt has all-time.

The bottom line is that both programs have produced some amazing players over the years.

Pitt will have three nfl hall of famers since psu had the last and only hall of famer at rb and three guys in the top 15 in rushing all time while penn state will have none....you refer to this as a "coin flip" hahahaha! This post was not about fielding an army it was about a roster.

you got a Hugh Green or Rickey Jackson in the last 20 do ya? and who might that be?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpripper88

Barkley could win the Heisman, become an NFL hall of famer, and Pitt would still be ahead in the RB department.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT