ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/Penn State a fun exercise.

That's your OPINION. Here is head to head...

2016 Pitt vs PSU

Barkley: 20/85 yds. 4.2 ypc. 4 TD's
Conner: 22/117 yds. 5.3 ypc. 1 TD
That's what you have? 1 game? Fine, Barkley had 4 tds. He also had better stats in nearly every category for the year. That was also with a weaker offensive line as well.

That's what you have? 1 game? Fine, Barkley had 4 tds. He also had better stats in nearly every category for the year. That was also with a weaker offensive line as well.

No nitter, I also showed you Conner's stats vs Clemson on the road and it was an elite performance. Stop with the OL was weaker bull$hit. More excuses... Take your propaganda to the JoeKnew U board...

How does your offense match-up vs.

I'm running an under front

SLB - Jackson
DE - Doleman
NT - Gilbert
DT - Donald
DE - Green
MLB - Schmidt
WLB - Oslavsky
CB - Revis
CB - Lewis
FS - Williamson
SS - Walker

That's a lot of pressure up front and Revis allows you to play any coverage you desire on the back end.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
No nitter, I also showed you Conner's stats vs Clemson on the road and it was an elite performance. Stop with the OL was weaker bull$hit. More excuses... Take your propaganda to the JoeKnew U board...
You seriously don't believe you had a better O line than PSU last year? We lost 3 tackles, and had D lineman playing guard. How did your O line get in the NFL? Not excuses, facts. And once again all you got is the same idiotic bs comeback. I'm a paid member, you go. I speak facts. All of Barkley's numbers were better.

You seriously don't believe you had a better O line than PSU last year? We lost 3 tackles, and had D lineman playing guard. How did your O line get in the NFL? Not excuses, facts. And once again all you got is the same idiotic bs comeback. I'm a paid member, you go. I speak facts. All of Barkley's numbers were better.

No, you shared your opinion. You said that Barkley was "elite". I say that Conner has had elite performances as well. So how do you know which is better running back? Different schedules, different defenses, etc. Usually the next level clarifies who is better because you are playing at the highest level. Face it, PSU running back's have failed miserably in the NFL...

Was Barkley running behind a weak OL during the OSU and USC games? Or was it only against Pitt...

So we shall see who's ultimately better at the next level... Since you are a paying member, why don't you stay on the pay board and spread your propaganda there? Scram...

How does your offense match-up vs.

I'm running an under front

SLB - Jackson
DE - Doleman
NT - Gilbert
DT - Donald
DE - Green
MLB - Schmidt
WLB - Oslavsky
CB - Revis
CB - Lewis
FS - Williamson
SS - Walker

That's a lot of pressure up front and Revis allows you to play any coverage you desire on the back end.

Mine is along your lines. I was thinking conventional 4-3.
DE Doleman
DT Donald
DT Gilbert
DE Hamilton
OLB Green
OLB Jackson
MLB Schmidt
CB Revis
CB Lewis
FS Williamson
SS Walker

Holloway and Maas as backup DT's, Tony Woods as DE.
Hayes as backup MLB McDonald at OLB Gadson at OLB
Alonzo Hampton and Shawntae Spencer at CB
Tom Flynn and Bob Jury at Safety

Last edited:
Look, I love James Conner. He is a great player and better person. But he is NOT Saquon Barkley. Barkley is elite.

Not saying Barkley isn't great. He challenged a fellow Pitt poster as to why he dared to think that Conner was better than his man Barkley and wanted to know why. I said he shared an opinion that is not without merit. I ain't letting a nitter on a Pitt board challenge the credibility of an opinion by a fellow Pitt poster.

I have spoken...

Last edited:
Reactions: bschulter
Barkley could win the Heisman, become an NFL hall of famer, and Pitt would still be ahead in the RB department.
gee, if you threw in being the all time collegiate rusher for thirty years you might even begin to bring him into the same conversation as the Hawk.

Why are you guys even arguing with a Nitter. Don't you know that everything at Pedo U is far Superior to anything thing else in this world. They think and believe the world stop and ends with Pedo U. This Barcley26 guy is proof in point
don't forget the ice cream at the creamery..it is the best in the history of the planet .Grab a bowl of peachy paterno and don't forget a sugar cone of sandusky cream..

I'm curious. In what aspect is Conner better than Saquon? Speed, receiving, blocking, eluding tackles, breaking tackles?

Yeah that's a good start. But also Conner has better stats far better blocking the pass and of course THE most important metric better stats.
I mean Bryan Davis may be the best running back in history but had zippo stats to prove it. Conner has the most tds in ACC history and that's even missing a year.

Yeah that's a good start. But also Conner has better stats far better blocking the pass and of course THE most important metric better stats.
I mean Bryan Davis may be the best running back in history but had zippo stats to prove it. Conner has the most tds in ACC history and that's even missing a year.
If Barkley was able to come out last year he would've been drafted higher than Conner. There is a reason he is considered a top 10 talent. Who will be the better pro, who knows...

Defense will be interesting to see. At DT, Aaron Donald won just about every award imaginable in college, and is absolutely dominating at the NFL level. Don't discount the abilities of Hugh Green and Rickey Jackson at the DE position.

There are many other examples, but wanted to throw in my quick 2 cents.

Interesting topic. However, in certain instances we may be comparing apples to oranges because there is no clarification if we are looking at their college careers only or their college and NFL careers.

As examples: If you are looking at purely college careers, IMO Dan Marino is NOT a clear winner over Collins in my book (their positions in the NFL draft prove this point) and Hugh Green may be the best defensive player on either team. However, if you take into account professional careers, Hugh Green's status drops significantly and Dan Marino is undoubtedly the best QB on either team.

Interesting topic. However, in certain instances we may be comparing apples to oranges because there is no clarification if we are looking at their college careers only or their college and NFL careers.

As examples: If you are looking at purely college careers, IMO Dan Marino is NOT a clear winner over Collins in my book (their positions in the NFL draft prove this point) and Hugh Green may be the best defensive player on either team. However, if you take into account professional careers, Hugh Green's status drops significantly and Dan Marino is undoubtedly the best QB on either team.

You must be as drunk as Kerry Collins

Good stuff. You could pick first, second and third team offensive line for both schools and it would still be as good as any other school in division 1. Pitt and PSU cranked out plenty of NFL stars on the offensive line.

To say that RB isn't basically a coin flip is just as stubborn as saying Marino and whoever else Pitt has doesn't clearly get the edge at QB. If you look at it objectively, a case could easily be made for either school at RB. It's not night and day.

Yeah, a couple of top RBs drafted from PSU turned out to be busts in the NFL for different reasons. It doesn't invalidate them as all-time greats at the college level. And while normally it would be nonsensical to include a current player like Barkley in this list--his talent is ridiculous. Everyone can see that. He'll be at the Heisman ceremony next year if he stays healthy.

As for scoffing at the notion that DE is a wash, I think I could match up PSU DE's in just the last 20 years against what Pitt has all-time.

The bottom line is that both programs have produced some amazing players over the years.
Except you are building a team with an overwhelming weight (as with any team) to the starters. Does it matter who the 4th best RB is on a team? The chances that guy plays is slim to none. PSU has the better depth, but in the discussion of who has the better all time team, that is a very small win for PSU, especially on offense and LB/DB. The DL you certainly have an argument that depth is a significant advantage for a team. Past that? Depth is really only tested on a very minimal basis and not to the degree PSU fans are trying to argue.

Does PSU expect their 4th string RB, way behind Barkley, to be a difference maker on their team this year? How about their 7th CB? Their 4th TE? Their 8th LB? Their 6th DE?

Also a quick mention about Pitt running backs. Barlow and Goings were in the same backfield together. Barlow had a decent career mostly with the 49er's and Goings played 8 years with the Carolina Panthers. That is really impressive yet many pitt fans would not put either one of these guys in our top 10 list. Maybe Barlow sneaking in. Shows how many good running backs we have had and also prospered in the NFL

Many note worthy PSU running backs that crushed the stats never delivered in the pros. Some due to injury like Carter and others like Enis who was a slap dick. I do think Blair Thomas was a top 3 running back for the nitters

And don't forget, they both were coming off major knee surgery and chemo therapy. Crazy Barkley's story didn't get more pub about that.

That local and national media is just so biased and pro Pitt.

I mean if you do that, Hugh Green gets knocked down a few pegs. Guy was one of the best collegiate de linemen ever but throw in his nfl career, well Im not even sure he played in the nfl.

He was a two time All Pro in his second and third seasons in the league before he got hurt in his fourth season in the league. With what had happened in the first three years of his NFL career I think it's fair to say that had he not gotten injured he would have been at least a very good pro, and most likely a great one.

If Barkley was able to come out last year he would've been drafted higher than Conner. There is a reason he is considered a top 10 talent. Who will be the better pro, who knows...

Just like a nitwit to argue about so hypothetical crap about when someone would have been drafted. I mean Jesus if conner didn't have cancer and a knee injury he would have been the number one overall pick... see how that ridiculous stuff works?

By the way I wasn't aware Barkly 'came out'? Not that there is anything wrong with that

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Marino picked 27th in first round (I believe 5th QB)
Collins picked 5th in first round.

College careers alone, Marino is no landslide winner and probably equal to Collins college career. With NFL career, obviously Marino is better.

Marino picked 27th in first round (I believe 5th QB)
Collins picked 5th in first round.

College careers alone, Marino is no landslide winner and probably equal to Collins college career. With NFL career, obviously Marino is better.

Not disputing the draft positions, but the rumored drug use by Marino was a major factor in his slide to the 27th pick. He was top 10 pick material.

There are so many greats from both teams. Imagine a 53 man roster comprised of Penn State and Pitt greats. I would find it hard to beat this team. Maybe USC and Notre Dame combined, but not not many more.

Penn Stater here. Thought about this a lot over the years. The number of all-time greats that Pitt has had at so many positions is remarkable. Not just college Hall of Fame types - top five in history types.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT