ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt @ Rocky Top - 9/11 @ Noon

FireballZ

Senior
Jan 3, 2016
I saw a few posters mention that they are making the trip, so I figured it might be nice to have a consolidated place to share info.

Tonight, I finally got my buddy to commit to driving down from PA and meeting me here in Western Carolina to head out to Knoxville for the game and a long weekend. He's on a bit of a budget, so it doesn't appear that he'll want to pay the ~$450 or so a night that it apparently will cost to stay close to Neyland Stadium.

Has anyone been there before or done any research on areas within a reasonable distance (5 miles?) of the stadium that has decent food and nightlife in the immediate area that they could recommend looking into? I'm hopeful that we can either Uber or obtain a parking pass fairly easily to tailgate - does that seem to be the case or is it the type of stadium setup where the parking / tailgate scene is a nightmare to get into and out of? I realize there will likely be approaching 100K people there, so I don't know what to expect. Clemson is the biggest crowd I've ever witnessed. Any nearby golf courses you'd recommend? What about places anyone would recommend to bar-up and watch football on the Sunday afterwards?

Thanks.

I’m interested to see the responses; we’re also thinking about making the trip east.

TD is our resident Tennessee expert but haven't seen him post in awhile. I was thinking about it also and wondering about the feasibility of staying in Nashville and driving there the morning of the game and leaving after. On a map looks similar to a drive from Pittsburgh to State College? That was doable for the 2017 & 2019 games.

TD is our resident Tennessee expert but haven't seen him post in awhile. I was thinking about it also and wondering about the feasibility of staying in Nashville and driving there the morning of the game and leaving after. On a map looks similar to a drive from Pittsburgh to State College? That was doable for the 2017 & 2019 games.
It’s about a 3 hour drive. It’s an easy drive but there’s also a time change so you’re going to be leaving early. Knoxville sometimes has some pretty cheap flights but it’s hit or miss

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It’s about a 3 hour drive. It’s an easy drive but there’s also a time change so you’re going to be leaving early. Knoxville sometimes has some pretty cheap flights but it’s hit or miss

that's interesting, I didn't account for the time change. Just thought there would be more to do in Nashville and less expensive to stay in a hotel there as opposed to Knoxville. But by the time you factor in a rent-a-car to drive from Nashville it probably is the same price.

there is plenty to do in knoxville. campus area will be good for tailgating and a drink or two after the game. Downtown has a nice area as well with walkable restaurants and bars. Beardon/farragut areas have lots of restaurants as well.

I ended up just booking at the Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown. Seems to be close to several bars and restaurants and is only a mile walk from the stadium; assuming walking is feasible. Also, not too bad for 3 nights at $325 per, on average. Rooms seem to be a bit sparse downtown, so I wanted to lock something in. They allow cancellations up to a week prior if better options arise.

Hopefully, people more familiar with the area and campus jump in with additional advise and recommendations. Looking forward to the trip.

that's interesting, I didn't account for the time change. Just thought there would be more to do in Nashville and less expensive to stay in a hotel there as opposed to Knoxville. But by the time you factor in a rent-a-car to drive from Nashville it probably is the same price.
Probably be easier to stay in Kentucky and drive down. It's a (roughly) 2 hour drive, straight shot on I75 into Knoxville. Hotels will be cheaper too.

Check out sevierville. It’s about a 40 minute drive but you can find decent prices on Airbnb’s there.

If you are staying in Nashville, it is a time change, but at least on the way to the game, you gain an hour.

Okay. So if you were planning to go to Nashville to stay and drive down to Knoxville, you might as well also consider Atlanta. The advantage is Atlanta is in the same time zone. Which can be a be a big advantage, but both Nashville and Atlanta are about 3 hours (real time) in travel. Now if you aren't married to staying in Nashville (which is worth it on its own if that's what you want) you can also stay in Asheville, NC which is an hour shorter of a drive and again, in the same time zone as Knoxville. Just some food for thought.

I saw a few posters mention that they are making the trip, so I figured it might be nice to have a consolidated place to share info.

Tonight, I finally got my buddy to commit to driving down from PA and meeting me here in Western Carolina to head out to Knoxville for the game and a long weekend. He's on a bit of a budget, so it doesn't appear that he'll want to pay the ~$450 or so a night that it apparently will cost to stay close to Neyland Stadium.

Has anyone been there before or done any research on areas within a reasonable distance (5 miles?) of the stadium that has decent food and nightlife in the immediate area that they could recommend looking into? I'm hopeful that we can either Uber or obtain a parking pass fairly easily to tailgate - does that seem to be the case or is it the type of stadium setup where the parking / tailgate scene is a nightmare to get into and out of? I realize there will likely be approaching 100K people there, so I don't know what to expect. Clemson is the biggest crowd I've ever witnessed. Any nearby golf courses you'd recommend? What about places anyone would recommend to bar-up and watch football on the Sunday afterwards?

Thanks.
Check out AirBnB. I got a great place reserved for $150/night. Just a steal. Check out the view I will have.

View from rental

Last edited:
I am super excited for this trip. I have a hunch I am going to get a clemson vibe when visiting. Not that they are similar campuses but with the hometown fans I am guessing Tennessee fans are very friendly and hospitable.

A lot of options here. You could rent a cabin in the Pidgeon Forge/Gatlinburg areas and be close to a tourist location along with going to the game. I would imagine hotels would be less in the Bristol or Jackson City areas (about 1 1/2) hours from Knoxville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT