ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Sweeps Duke in Softball

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Pitt won the first game 6-4 as Sarah Dawson pitched a complete game. Won the second 8-4, as Kayla Harris pitches a complete game.

Interesting strategy by Duke in Game 2: With 1 Out and none on in Game 2, they intentionally walked leadoff hitter Georgia Zeremenko. Don’t think I ever saw that before. It didn’t work, as McKayla Taylor got HBP, and after an out by Olivia Grey, Alex Solak hit a 3 run homer.

Pitt is now 8-2 in the ACC. I am hoping for a rainout tomorrow. Neither Dawson nor Harris was very effective today. Neither of Duke’s two starters was either. However, in the 3rd inning they might have found their new ace. She came on to get an out to end the inning and then blew Pitt away in the 4th and 5th. The only Pitt batter to make contact was Taylor, who was safe on an E by the SS. Other than that, 7 batters, 7 Ks. She threw really, really hard. There was no C.F. camera like they had at VT, so I couldn’t see exactly what she throws, but whatever it was, she threw it hard.

Duke put another RP in for the 6th. Down 8-4, I assume they wanted to save her arm for tomorrow.

Kayla Harris went all 7 innings. I think she had 4 Ks, two of them looking. She had two swinging Ks in the 6th inning, and those were the only two swings and misses by Duke in the whole game. Her changeup wasn’t working and that is usually the pitch she gets swings and misses on.

Pitt’s defense continues to be an issue. Two more errors in the 4th inning of Game 2 gave Duke a run. The second error was a flat out drop of a perfect throw at 1B. That made me cringe. It should never happen. Also, I assume Brittany Knight is injured as I would have thought she would have pitched in the midweek game against Ohio and in one or both games today in relief if she was healthy. Rahrbach was once again awful against Ohio U.

I don’t know how many more midweek games Pitt has besides the upcoming one with PSU, but they can’t keep losing them. That probably cost the baseball team an NCAA bid a couple of years ago, and it could cost the softball team this year. They are 8-2 in the ACC, but only 11-10 out of conference.

Saw some stats on the P from Illinois Aprile signed for the incoming class. She averaged almost 2 Ks an inning and had a 1.30 ERA. She also walked 3.5 batters per game, and made Ist Team All-State as an OF, not a pitcher. She hit .568. Of course, she still has her senior season to play. Losing 4 starters, I expected a bigger class than 3 plus a walk-on. But, maybe she plans on bringing in a transfer or two.

The Ohio loss was a bad one. They have the remaining schedule to make a run at the NCAA's, but they'll likely need to win most of the non conference games, win the games they should and then maybe win 1 of 3 from FSU and 2 of 3 from Louisville. Their RPI was 72 through last Sunday. They also play PSU on Tuesday, who is 5-23 this season.

Pitt won the first game 6-4 as Sarah Dawson pitched a complete game. Won the second 8-4, as Kayla Harris pitches a complete game.

Interesting strategy by Duke in Game 2: With 1 Out and none on in Game 2, they intentionally walked leadoff hitter Georgia Zeremenko. Don’t think I ever saw that before. It didn’t work, as McKayla Taylor got HBP, and after an out by Olivia Grey, Alex Solak hit a 3 run homer.

Pitt is now 8-2 in the ACC. I am hoping for a rainout tomorrow. Neither Dawson nor Harris was very effective today. Neither of Duke’s two starters was either. However, in the 3rd inning they might have found their new ace. She came on to get an out to end the inning and then blew Pitt away in the 4th and 5th. The only Pitt batter to make contact was Taylor, who was safe on an E by the SS. Other than that, 7 batters, 7 Ks. She threw really, really hard. There was no C.F. camera like they had at VT, so I couldn’t see exactly what she throws, but whatever it was, she threw it hard.

Duke put another RP in for the 6th. Down 8-4, I assume they wanted to save her arm for tomorrow.

Kayla Harris went all 7 innings. I think she had 4 Ks, two of them looking. She had two swinging Ks in the 6th inning, and those were the only two swings and misses by Duke in the whole game. Her changeup wasn’t working and that is usually the pitch she gets swings and misses on.

Pitt’s defense continues to be an issue. Two more errors in the 4th inning of Game 2 gave Duke a run. The second error was a flat out drop of a perfect throw at 1B. That made me cringe. It should never happen. Also, I assume Brittany Knight is injured as I would have thought she would have pitched in the midweek game against Ohio and in one or both games today in relief if she was healthy. Rahrbach was once again awful against Ohio U.

I don’t know how many more midweek games Pitt has besides the upcoming one with PSU, but they can’t keep losing them. That probably cost the baseball team an NCAA bid a couple of years ago, and it could cost the softball team this year. They are 8-2 in the ACC, but only 11-10 out of conference.

Saw some stats on the P from Illinois Aprile signed for the incoming class. She averaged almost 2 Ks an inning and had a 1.30 ERA. She also walked 3.5 batters per game, and made Ist Team All-State as an OF, not a pitcher. She hit .568. Of course, she still has her senior season to play. Losing 4 starters, I expected a bigger class than 3 plus a walk-on. But, maybe she plans on bringing in a transfer or two.
Duke's ace has been the girl who pitched the first game, her ERA entering the game was around 1.70.

Pitt still has 4 mid week games left, PSU, 2 with Kent and at Ohio St and then a weekend DH against Marshall. Need to be at least 4-2 at worst in those games.

FSU has an RPI of 10, Ohio St 33 and Louisville 39. These will be huge games. 3-4 or 4-3 in these game will give them a shot, but that will be tough. FSU is just at another level.

Duke won 2-1 today. Their pitcher gave up only 3 hits. One was a HR with 2 out in the 7th. I couldn’t tell if it was the pitcher who started the first game yesterday or the pitcher who relieved in the 2nd game, but she was dominant. Sarah Dawson pitched pretty well, but the top of the order for Duke hit her well and accounted for both runs. Pitt now is 9-3 in the ACC and has won al 4 series played.

Duke won 2-1 today. Their pitcher gave up only 3 hits. One was a HR with 2 out in the 7th. I couldn’t tell if it was the pitcher who started the first game yesterday or the pitcher who relieved in the 2nd game, but she was dominant. Sarah Dawson pitched pretty well, but the top of the order for Duke hit her well and accounted for both runs. Pitt now is 9-3 in the ACC and has won al 4 series played.
8-3 in the ACC, only played 2 games in the VT series, and in 1st place in the Coastal just ahead of UNC (8-4)

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
It was the girl who did well in relief in the 2nd game yesterday.

Been fun to watch. Can't wait until their production is brought up to baseball standards on the ACC Network.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT