ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt TBT thread

Bad coaching not run some set plays to get him some open looks.
TBT isn’t a breeding ground for the next Coach K or Izzo. I don’t doubt some teams may work on some things but those teams don’t have a camp or lengthy practice time prior to the tourney.

This is something more thrown together and whoever has the horses will win. I only watched the first half. Ugly basketball so it wasn’t worth staying up for. The nostalgia was a little fun but that wasn’t easy on the eyes.

TBT isn’t a breeding ground for the next Coach K or Izzo. I don’t doubt some teams may work on some things but those teams don’t have a camp or lengthy practice time prior to the tourney.

This is something more thrown together and whoever has the horses will win. I only watched the first half. Ugly basketball so it wasn’t worth staying up for. The nostalgia was a little fun but that wasn’t easy on the eyes.
One team looked far more thrown together than the other one.

Still thought it was a lot of fun but I'd probably pay to watch Fields play at the Y. Its a little sad to see these guys getting older and in the twilight of their pro careers (or retired in some cases) as they were almost like superheros for some of us. Time stops for no man. But, it was still great to see some glimpses last night. 2 Sam Young pump fakes. Levance still slicing people up a few times and finishing. Derek Cooke from Wyoming played in Italy last season and will be in Germany this year and was too much for McGhee and Zanna underneath.

It wasnt really a Marshall alum team as it was a team that had Jon Elmore and a some Marshall guys but the best players didnt go to Marshall. I didnt research this team until after but they still have guys playing at higher levels than our guys. Rob Gray from Houston was unstoppable. He plays in Turkey, which is a Top 6-8 league in the world. JP Tokoto played at North Carolina and plays in Israel, a decent league. Jacorey Williams played at MTSU and was in Italy last year. The 2 Marshall players who were any good (Elmore and Williams) had good seasons in the G-league last year, which you can argue is the 2nd best league in the world. Besides those 2, 2023 grad was the only other Marshall player who scored and he had 4. So, yea, a good team but not a Marshall team.

I would have liked to hear about what happened with Gueye, Sibande, and Luther. Its complicated with how some of these pro contracts work. Perhaps they signed something late. But then the 2 Marshall G leaguers were playing so....but those 3 would have made a huge difference.

Having said all this, the main difference was something that plagued this program from Dixon 2 to Capel 1. No paint presence offensively or defensively. McGhee and Zanna were both good players at Pitt but neither were good at all yesterday despite both looking to be in rather good shape. And if we are only using Pitt alums (which I agree with), there aint many others you can call. Tyrone Haughton, Joe Uchebo, and Rozelle Nix wouldn't have helped.

I thought Newkirk got too many minutes. He looked the same as he was at Pitt in that he looks like a guy who can do something but just doesnt give you positive minutes. Seems like a guy who would be good in practice drills but just isnt good at playing in games. I would have went

PG - Cummings/Fields
SG - Artis
SF - Elliot
PF - Young
C - McGhee/Zanna

Newkirk and GB with token minutes (which is what GB did anyway but he looked like he can still play)

I wished, though, that they would make this truly an alumni tournament, and set it up like a FIBA tournament where you have group play and then a knockout round. A round-robin group of Pitt, WVU, PSU, Ohio State, etc would be a lot of fun.
We’re in Capel 2 now, right?
Is there a posted timeline anywhere?

Yes. We are currently in Capel 2.

H-D (Howland is combined with Dixon I)
Dixon 2
Capel 1
Capel 2

I have seen people separate out Howland and Dixon 1 but most college basketball scholars will combine that era and classify the CBI year as the beginning of Dixon 2.
“Most college basketball scholars”

I assume you consider this an elite group of one of which you are a member? ;)

Reactions: TWPitt
Herd That blew out WVU. Its not really a Marshall alum team but its pretty good. They could go far. They have 2 G league level guards and 2 good P5 level bigs in their prime. Only 1 went to Marshall but whatevs.

Herd That blew out WVU. Its not really a Marshall alum team but its pretty good. They could go far. They have 2 G league level guards and 2 good P5 level bigs in their prime. Only 1 went to Marshall but whatevs.
They were losing the entire game until a big 4th quarter.

Surprised he hasnt made it yet. Thought he'd be on a roster for a little bit. 10 a game in the G League is nothing to sneeze at. He did look out of shape for a guy playing major pro basketball but maybe that's misleading due to how old he looks in the face/head. He wasnt really looking for his shot last night which I didnt understand. I felt like he could have had 30-40 if he did but they won so I guess the plan worked.
Can’t defend

Reactions: BigZeke
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. The Zoo Crew team isn't Pitt either.

They had a few different guys over the years but this year's team had

6 guys who played only at Pitt
2 guys who finished their career at Pitt
1 guy who played his first 2 years at Pitt

I am totally fine with players who have played at 2 or 3 schools being on any of those alumni teams. I never liked Newkirk and he reminded me why but as far as him repping a Pitt alumni team, Im ok with it. He's a former Panther. Very few of those key Herd That players ever played at Marshall. I dont know why there hasnt been more of an outcry about this and half the population canceling Herd That for identifying as something they arent

They had a few different guys over the years but this year's team had

6 guys who played only at Pitt
2 guys who finished their career at Pitt
1 guy who played his first 2 years at Pitt

I am totally fine with players who have played at 2 or 3 schools being on any of those alumni teams. I never liked Newkirk and he reminded me why but as far as him repping a Pitt alumni team, Im ok with it. He's a former Panther. Very few of those key Herd That players ever played at Marshall. I dont know why there hasnt been more of an outcry about this and half the population canceling Herd That for identifying as something they arent

It is as if you don't understand what that tournament is. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that requires any team to have any players from any school on their roster, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that requires teams to be named, or not named, after anyone or anything.

It is as if you don't understand what that tournament is. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that requires any team to have any players from any school on their roster, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that requires teams to be named, or not named, after anyone or anything.
SMF is a man of utmost integrity!

Yea, I think I know that. I'm just saying don't identify as Marshall or "Herd" if you arent that. If you want to wear green and white, fine but use some generic name without giving a nod to Marshall. Alumni teams are fun to watch and to see how they do but this isnt one.

Yea, I think I know that. I'm just saying don't identify as Marshall or "Herd" if you arent that. If you want to wear green and white, fine but use some generic name without giving a nod to Marshall. Alumni teams are fun to watch and to see how they do but this isnt one.
I mean 7 of the guys on the roster played for Marshall so it’s not like it’s some random school they picked.

You would have to be a complete simpleton to be bothered by something so ridiculous.

Tonight, someone named Friday Beers beat Nasty Nati to advance to the semifinals.

Event organizers were going to take the win away from them citing the fact that it was not Friday and that no one on the team was actually drinking beers during the game, but then they realized that there was not only no one named Nati on the other team, but that they were not particularly nasty as well. So they decided to let the result stand.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Tonight, someone named Friday Beers beat Nasty Nati to advance to the semifinals.

Event organizers were going to take the win away from them citing the fact that it was not Friday and that no one on the team was actually drinking beers during the game, but then they realized that there was not only no one named Nati on the other team, but that they were not particularly nasty as well. So they decided to let the result stand.
Nasti beat The Program for Autism to get to their game against Beers. I suspect TPFA would have been disqualified anyway because no one of the team was actually diagnosed as on the spectrum.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

I am asking for teams marketed as alumni teams to actually be alumni teams. If you want to wear green and white and have some generic name or even a name with a nod to Marshall like Huntington Hoops, whatever but "Herd" That and "Marshall Alumni" in parantheses on the website. No. If they win this thing, I suspect that banner will eventually be coming down.

I am asking for teams marketed as alumni teams to actually be alumni teams. If you want to wear green and white and have some generic name or even a name with a nod to Marshall like Huntington Hoops, whatever but "Herd" That and "Marshall Alumni" in parantheses on the website. No. If they win this thing, I suspect that banner will eventually be coming down.
The only way the banner would come down is if you drive to wherever it is hanging and personally tear it down. And I have little doubt you’d probably do just that.

The only way the banner would come down is if you drive to wherever it is hanging and personally tear it down. And I have little doubt you’d probably do just that.

They would be fake champions. Grifting Marshall fans.

#notmytbtchampions
#zoocrewwon

He has 14 points in 3 games.
How this is not getting through, I do not know but this will be the last time I try to say it.

They have played FOUR games. In the FOURTH game, against Syracuse who you have referenced multiple times in this thread, he scored FIFTEEN. Why is comprehending words so difficult for you

How this is not getting through, I do not know but this will be the last time I try to say it.

They have played FOUR games. In the FOURTH game, against Syracuse who you have referenced multiple times in this thread, he scored FIFTEEN. Why is comprehending words so difficult for you
Why some of you keep allowing yourselves to be trolled is mind boggling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT