ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs. Duke game thread

Absolutely stupid going for two. Chart says kick it 100% of the time.
No it doesn’t. Do you guys seriously not know this? This isn’t Narduzzi going on some weird limb..

The only thing that makes it a poor statistical choice is if you have poor goal line offense but also happen to be the better overall team (that would excel in OT)

OK, here's the math on going for two. This all assumes that the other guys won't score again and you do. And we all know (I assume) that that isn't the most likely, but it's what you are playing for.

Assuming you have a 50-50 chance at making the two and that you are going to make the extra point (to make the math simple):

If you go for the two after the first td, there are two choices, 50% make it, 50% miss. If you make it then when you score the second td you win.

If you don't make it, then when you score the second one, 50% chance you make it and go to overtime, 50% chance you miss and you lose.

So going for two gives you a 50% chance to win, a 25% chance to go to overtime, and a 25% chance to lose. If you kick after the first one and then go for two you have a 50% chance to win and a 50% chance to lose. And if you kick both of them you have a 100% chance of overtime.

The first one of those is obviously the one that maximizes your chance to win the game.

So if you think about it Narduzzi became a multi millionaire by beating Virginia, Duke, Syracuse and a couple d-2 schools every year.
what a joke

Reactions: cbpitt2
50/50 make it. Which means you now just won the game 50% of the time if you get another TD.

25% of the time you miss it twice. You lose

25% of the time you miss the first make the second. You go to OT. You pick up 12.5% more chance to win since OT is 50/50

62.5% versus 50/50 assuming that you are 50/50 on two point conversions and 100% on PATs
Unless you can show me the analytics, I’m doubting teams make it 50% of the time they go for 2. Not saying it’s not true…just seems high to me.

Unless you can show me the analytics, I’m doubting teams make it 50% of the time they go for 2. Not saying it’s not true…just seems high to me.

I don’t know if THIS team makes it 50% of the time. That’s my only reason for pause there. I think over the long term it’s like 52/48.

There’s a reason why teams at the NFL level are now implementing this strategy more and more. Within a couple seasons it will be commonplace.

It changes from year to year, but it's usually in the low to mid-40s.
I don’t know what it is in college - but I just looked up the NFL and it’s high 40s.

All moot now.

But honestly that’s something that more progressive coaches do. So if we want to get out of the stone ages, can’t hate giving it a shot there.

There’s a reason why teams at the NFL level are now implementing this strategy more and more. Within a couple seasons it will be commonplace.
Teams like Philly and Baltimore whose strength is getting 2 or 3 yards when you really need it, can really leverage that strategy.

Because if 50/50 gets you a 62% chance to win, 60/40 stretches it to 70% wins.

I don’t know what it is in college - but I just looked up the NFL and it’s high 40s.

All moot now.

But honestly that’s something that more progressive coaches do. So if we want to get out of the stone ages, can’t hate giving it a shot there.

It's usually a little less in college than in the pros. But like I said, they both change from year to year.

I believe the "real" break even point, given how often teams make two pointers and how often teams miss extra points, is in the high 30s, like 37-38%. If you can make more than 37% of your two pointers the math says go for two after the first touchdown.

Reactions: PittPanther44
My 29 yr old just said this was the worst Pitt football season of his life... I think so
He was lucky enough to just miss some really crappy ones. :)

Being a 30 year old Pitt fans isn’t horrible. Have seen a string of HOF caliber players with some nice seasons. Plus young enough that they didn’t “just miss” the glory years or expect that too often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT