ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt wrestling match

thom67

Senior
Jul 4, 2001
Did anyone else watch the Panthers lose to UNC? Pitt won at 1325, 133, 165, and 197. Wentzel looked good except being put on his back and almost pinned. After blowing good lead, he came back well to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos
Harvey losing was tough, isn’t the same guy at 184. Feel bad for matthews had that match and basically had to give up a free point when his knee buckled and Sherman could pick position following the injury time. Besides the Hail Mary attempt I thought he had the only real takedown attempt and should have finished. 141 is a crazy weight at ACCs cole could easily when it despite having a losing acc record

Reactions: persp
Harvey losing was tough, isn’t the same guy at 184. Feel bad for matthews had that match and basically had to give up a free point when his knee buckled and Sherman could pick position following the injury time. Besides the Hail Mary attempt I thought he had the only real takedown attempt and should have finished. 141 is a crazy weight at ACCs cole could easily when it despite having a losing acc record
So I assume that there is no one else to wrestle at 184 so that Harvey can return to his previous weight? McGill isn't exactly lighting it up, but I assume that there's no one at 184 who will perform better than McGill is at 174? This lineup is the lesser of 2 evils?

The excuses for Mathews are non-stop here. He lost 4-1. Did he even take a shot? He has no more offensive moves than he had in high school. A front headlock. Period. Any other takedowns he gets are counters from opponents shooting. He hasn’t progressed at all.

I’m sure none of that has been lost on his HS teammate Gary Steen, who no longer is coming to Pitt.

We are weak at 125, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184 and Hwt. We lost 6 matches to a school which was in worse shape than us 4 years ago, hired a new coach and now is better than us, with a better recruiting class last year and so far a better recruiting class this year. Not to mention the top-ranked 149 pounder in the country.

We are going to finish 1-4 in the ACC with our only win being over Duke, which doesn’t offer wrestling scholarships. That is the state of the program.

Reactions: PittEngineer12
The excuses for Mathews are non-stop here. He lost 4-1. Did he even take a shot? He has no more offensive moves than he had in high school. A front headlock. Period. Any other takedowns he gets are counters from opponents shooting. He hasn’t progressed at all.

I’m sure none of that has been lost on his HS teammate Gary Steen, who no longer is coming to Pitt.

We are weak at 125, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184 and Hwt. We lost 6 matches to a school which was in worse shape than us 4 years ago, hired a new coach and now is better than us, with a better recruiting class last year and so far a better recruiting class this year. Not to mention the top-ranked 149 pounder in the country.

We are going to finish 1-4 in the ACC with our only win being over Duke, which doesn’t offer wrestling scholarships. That is the state of the program.

Mike, you obviously didn’t watch the match. Matthews lost because of an injury. He was the one shooting. He was the only one remotely close to a takedown. His opponent got a point from Cole having to call injury time and in the last few seconds Matthews tried something desperate so the score ended 4-1. His opponent was acc champ and ranked #11 in the country.

Also on the broadcast they said coach Scott has been at UNC for 7 years now, 1 year as an assistant and 6 years as head coach. So UNC did not hire a new coach 4 years ago. Pitt was 2nd in the acc last year and UNC was third. UNC is #14 and Pitt is #15 this year.

It seems like you enjoy trolling and probably know you are not being accurate with your posts though.

Well I’m glad someone chimed in before I did. Mike is nothing more than a troll... definitely no fan of our team. Agree, Matthews has a legit injury.... which cost him the match. I don’t think Mike even watched, anyone who did would have seen Matthews take the shot. Sad do you think he gets his thrills from criticizing these athletes, it would be great if he could go find a new forum to be a bitch on.

He lost 4-1. Did he even take a shot?
Yes he did and it was very good but didn't finish. If he did that even six times a match, where would he be? Bear in mind that kid was ranked #11 and is a very smart wrestler but not the athlete Cole is. That's what is frustrating with Cole. He has all the tools to be knocking on the door to the top five. If he was non-stop hand fighting or level changes, aggressively working for his favorite attack, constant pressure forcing stalling calls...where would he be? In this match, he had an injury so I don't know how that effected him but to be truthful, it didn't look too much different from previous matches.

As far as Stein is concerned, did you see Ryan's tweet? At this point, none of us knows enough to speculate.

125, 157, and 174 are freshman. Camacho is taking big jumps - has a long way to go but he is getting better. He gave the #4 guy in the country all he wanted last week. Badget does look a little overwhelmed right now but is a tough kid and keeps fighting. Although he was ranked as the #8 guy in the country for his weight when recruited, he is still pretty clueless about wrestling on the mat - he's from California. McGill is also going to be good. He has good instincts and positioning but is just getting used to the college mat game and the consistent, high level of intensity required to be top tier. He is going to be fine.

"We are going to finish 1-4 in the ACC with our only win being over Duke, which doesn’t offer wrestling scholarships. That is the state of the program". State of the program and ACC Reality Check here ...NC State #3, VT #8, UNC #14, Virginia #20 and Pittsburgh #15.

I'm still trying to understand what the bar is for people around here. 8-9-10 AA, in the line up? 2-3 NCAA champions? Top 5 team ranking? Win the ACC every year? You realize what your asking, even if you want to win the ACC every year.

You realize the financial commitment over the last few DECADES, those top tier teams you keep pointing to have made? Financial commitment doesn't mean just a shiny new facility. It means RTC, grad assistants, travel expenses, day to day alumni involvement (jobs before and... ahem ...PSU...maybe...possibly...repay your out of pocket money spent on- oh, I don't know - the tuition you paid to attend PSU...after graduation for example), etc. dedicated to long term results.

While Pitt has the potential that many schools do not have, it takes money, commitment to the process, time, and marketing. Perhaps a constructive criticism would be to put a dollar in a jar every time one feels a sense of frustration or bitches.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT