ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Wrestling News

Micky Phillippi coming in from UVA - 133 lbs - Derry high school

The above was tweeted by Stephen Patrick quoting a source.

Isn't it interesting that the guy (Patrick) who first broke the stories on the Transfers of both Stout and Phillippi is the same guy some Lyke apologists said had no real into, just speculation, about how Lyke screwed the pooch with Pat Santoro? I guess he really does have good sources.

Reactions: stevepatrick19
You never disappoint Mike. Here we have 2 Pa state champs returning home to Pitt with Stoudt saying great things about Coach Gavin and you can still dig deep to try and throw a black cloud over it.
Exactly! We just hired an excellent, young coach who has hit the ground running, and he somehow looks for a negative. Congrats to Coach Gavin!

Isn't it interesting that the guy (Patrick) who first broke the stories on the Transfers of both Stout and Phillippi is the same guy some Lyke apologists said had no real into, just speculation, about how Lyke screwed the pooch with Pat Santoro? I guess he really does have good sources.

You clearly didn't understand what some of the complaints were at the time - you just want to be argumentative I guess.

Reactions: mdpittalum
You never disappoint Mike. Here we have 2 Pa state champs returning home to Pitt with Stoudt saying great things about Coach Gavin and you can still dig deep to try and throw a black cloud over it.

Stout and Phillippi are two really nice additions !!

Phillippi was a 3 time PIAA state champion and placed 3rd another year !!

The ball is rolling. Just wait until it really gets some momentum.

Someone better direct the PA highschoolers and coaches to this site, so they know what's going on. Let them know, in a couple of years, they would rather be on our side instead of going against us.

Phillippi is a really nice addition. I am very happy with Gavin right now. By the way, we had our first wrestling tournament at Kennywood on Thursday...PINS IN THE PARK! Great participation. Hope to see it grow even more next year!

Phillippi is a really nice addition. I am very happy with Gavin right now. By the way, we had our first wrestling tournament at Kennywood on Thursday...PINS IN THE PARK! Great participation. Hope to see it grow even more next year!

There were over 400 kids at the tourney, great turnout.

Our wrestling club is working on getting Gavin to come for a clinic, in August. We will also have former Pitt wrestlers Chad Jesko and Blaise Mucci. We are just waiting for confirmation, from coach Gavin.

You clearly didn't understand what some of the complaints were at the time - you just want to be argumentative I guess.

I understand exactly what Patrick wrote about her meeting with Santoro. After it was posted, people on here who were blindly defending her handling of the situation blasted him saying that his so-called sources were imaginary or unreliable. But, now, before anyone else had the information, he broke the news about both Stout and Phillippi transferring. So, my point was that I guess his sources are pretty good after all. Were they correct about Santoro too? None of us know unless we were in the meeting, Pat has told us directly what transpired, or someone else other than Lyke who is in the AD and was there told us what happened. But, just dismissing Patrick as a wannabe who had no real sources, as some did, now looks very foolish.

I think Stout will help Pitt. But, either he or the new Bono will have to get down to the 184. I think Phillippi will help more because we are so weak in the lower weights except for Forys. But, lets not forget that, as Stout himself admitted, he is transferring because he never would have been a starter at PSU. He raved about Sanderson and their wrestling room and competition he got to practice with there. I have no idea why Phillippi is transferring. However, if he is going to be immediately eligible, as some have said (but has not been confirmed), it seems strange UVA would allow him to transfer to a conference rival. I doubt, for example, that PSU would have allowed Stoudt to transfer to tOSU or Iowa without sitting out a year. If he is going to have to sit out a year, then there is nothing UVA could have done to block the transfer. I guess we will know when either Patrick interviews him or the roster is released.

I also doubt very much if either would have transferred to Pitt if Peters was still the coach. So, from that perspective, Gavin clearly has made a difference. I'm waiting to see how his recruiting goes this year because we aren't going to become a top ten program through transfers.

Bye the way...

and maybe this is a question for Steven Patrick (lol), but do any of you guys in the know have any kind of rough estimate on a top ten list of prospects for Gavin and Co? If not specific people, weight classes, in state/out of state, and such.

She blew the Santoro hire but it's water under the bridge. & tims to move on. Hopefully we have a coach that takes us where we want to go and he's around for the next 30 years.

Last edited:
I interviewed him today. Coming out tomorrow

I understand exactly what Patrick wrote about her meeting with Santoro. After it was posted, people on here who were blindly defending her handling of the situation blasted him saying that his so-called sources were imaginary or unreliable. But, now, before anyone else had the information, he broke the news about both Stout and Phillippi transferring. So, my point was that I guess his sources are pretty good after all. Were they correct about Santoro too? None of us know unless we were in the meeting, Pat has told us directly what transpired, or someone else other than Lyke who is in the AD and was there told us what happened. But, just dismissing Patrick as a wannabe who had no real sources, as some did, now looks very foolish.

I think Stout will help Pitt. But, either he or the new Bono will have to get down to the 184. I think Phillippi will help more because we are so weak in the lower weights except for Forys. But, lets not forget that, as Stout himself admitted, he is transferring because he never would have been a starter at PSU. He raved about Sanderson and their wrestling room and competition he got to practice with there. I have no idea why Phillippi is transferring. However, if he is going to be immediately eligible, as some have said (but has not been confirmed), it seems strange UVA would allow him to transfer to a conference rival. I doubt, for example, that PSU would have allowed Stoudt to transfer to tOSU or Iowa without sitting out a year. If he is going to have to sit out a year, then there is nothing UVA could have done to block the transfer. I guess we will know when either Patrick interviews him or the roster is released.

I also doubt very much if either would have transferred to Pitt if Peters was still the coach. So, from that perspective, Gavin clearly has made a difference. I'm waiting to see how his recruiting goes this year because we aren't going to become a top ten program through transfers.

Reactions: singregardless
She blew the Santoro hire but it's water under the bridge. & tims to move on. Hopefully we have a coach that takes us where we want to go and he's around for the next 30 years.
I never have been clear on the details of how she blew the Santoro hire. Would appreciate your insights on this.

It's a long story and at this point it's best to just let it go, but I'll say the expression "a bird in the hard is worth 2 in the bush" sums it up.

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT