ADVERTISEMENT

ACC PRE-SEEDS and BRACKETS

Seeds were kind of a joke this year. Not referring to Pitt but there were plenty of head scratching decisions. Making Carter the 9 and having Mekhi face him in the quarters is perhaps the biggest one
It is a formula and all the data goes into a computer and it spits out the seeds and there is little room allowed for adjustment by the committee.

With wrestlers now wrestling fewer matches the current formula really favors those wrestlers from smaller and/or weaker conferences because they are taking fewer loses.

The other big one for me was putting Carr on same side of bracket as OToole. Not saying Carr will definitely beat Mesenbrink. However have Carr and Mesenbrink battle out for winner to face OToole in the finals. Deserves to be final match.

Reactions: Silkky1982
If it’s a formula how does the formula spit out Carter Starocci at #9? For Pitt, Stouts seed seems really low. It says his record is 21-6 and coaches rank 14.

Reactions: DevilDog42
The other big one for me was putting Carr on same side of bracket as OToole. Not saying Carr will definitely beat Mesenbrink. However have Carr and Mesenbrink battle out for winner to face OToole in the finals. Deserves to be final match.
I am not a fan of changing the seeding to get the match-ups people want to see or that seems fair. Carr and Julian Ramirez are both 22-2 and Ramirez beat Carr so you can't just flip them without making other changes to the bracket.

It was far worse when the coaches were involved with seeding

Reactions: _DBHoops
Problem is they don’t always listen to the formula. Hence why it’s a joke. Hidlay would have beat Brooks in the formula but Brooks got the one while Hidlay didn’t. Also not really sure how I feel about some of these conference champions being so high without quality wins but at the end of the day it’s a whole lot better than medical forfeits so i wouldn’t want it to change. My main concern with Carter at the 9 is why make the obvious potential finals match in the quarters. Like just make him the 7 to avoid that

I am not a fan of changing the seeding to get the match-ups people want to see or that seems fair. Carr and Julian Ramirez are both 22-2 and Ramirez beat Carr so you can't just flip them without making other changes to the bracket.

It was far worse when the coaches were involved with seeding

Problem is they don’t always listen to the formula. Hence why it’s a joke. Hidlay would have beat Brooks in the formula but Brooks got the one while Hidlay didn’t. Also not really sure how I feel about some of these conference champions being so high without quality wins but at the end of the day it’s a whole lot better than medical forfeits so i wouldn’t want it to change. My main concern with Carter at the 9 is why make the obvious potential finals match in the quarters. Like just make him the 7 to avoid that
100% agree!

I'm wondering if the NCAA isnt giving a subtle nudge to these wrestlers and programs that wrestle light schedules.

I'm wondering if the NCAA isnt giving a subtle nudge to these wrestlers and programs that wrestle light schedules.

Doesn’t look like it. The majority of top seeds don’t have a lot of matches. Their records are listed right on the bracket.

Reactions: persp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT