ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt WSOC Bubble Watch

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
From Chris Henderson, NCAA WoSo analyst

ACC

LOCK — North Carolina, Florida State, Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia

BUBBLE — Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, NC State, Louisville, Clemson, Boston College, Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh has been a major disappointment and don’t have an RPI Top 50 win on their record. There’s no one big opponent on their schedule that will solve their lagging RPI problem either. They might claw their way back into the mix if they win out, but they haven’t shown that type of form in ACC play at all.

From Chris Henderson, NCAA WoSo analyst

ACC

LOCK — North Carolina, Florida State, Duke, Notre Dame, Virginia

BUBBLE — Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, NC State, Louisville, Clemson, Boston College, Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh has been a major disappointment and don’t have an RPI Top 50 win on their record. There’s no one big opponent on their schedule that will solve their lagging RPI problem either. They might claw their way back into the mix if they win out, but they haven’t shown that type of form in ACC play at all.

Waldrum has done wonders to get the team from mid-major level to mid-level ACC but its going to be very difficult for him to recruit enough American suburban girls to reach the types of heights that Vidovich has reached. Women's soccer recruiting is so much more difficult than on the men's side....where if you have the budget, you can go to Europe and find 3 players on every street corner

I don't know how they have been a "disappointment". They won the OOC games they were supposed to win, and I feel have been more competitive in the ACC play (outside of Duke and FSU).

Reactions: zookeeper2000
I don't know how they have been a "disappointment". They won the OOC games they were supposed to win, and I feel have been more competitive in the ACC play (outside of Duke and FSU).
Very few teams can challenge FSU at all, and Duke seems to be hit or miss on being a true top 5. I will say, I’ve watched every game and feel that this team has made amazing strides in just a few years. But, so have all the other ACC teams. Pitt clearly cannot afford to have a star like West on the sidelines. From the games that were wins or loses in ACC:
Pitt was tough against VT and I thought had enough opportunities to win despite not having West.
yes pitt beat Miami, but Miami owned them much of the second half and had chances to keep it tight. Guess who played in that game, West.
UNC had chances and really outmatched Pitt, 0-1 and no West again.
Duke and Clemson are what they are, teams that when on are top 5. When not on, they are still top 25 and Pitt have to be perfect when a Duke or Clemson aren’t on their best.
thankfully a tough skid here can now get fixed with last run of games.
they should beat Syracuse, Boston College, toss up with NC State, and most likely loss to Wake Forest unless wake is off their game.
there is a chance to get 3 more ACC wins.

Very few teams can challenge FSU at all, and Duke seems to be hit or miss on being a true top 5. I will say, I’ve watched every game and feel that this team has made amazing strides in just a few years. But, so have all the other ACC teams. Pitt clearly cannot afford to have a star like West on the sidelines. From the games that were wins or loses in ACC:
Pitt was tough against VT and I thought had enough opportunities to win despite not having West.
yes pitt beat Miami, but Miami owned them much of the second half and had chances to keep it tight. Guess who played in that game, West.
UNC had chances and really outmatched Pitt, 0-1 and no West again.
Duke and Clemson are what they are, teams that when on are top 5. When not on, they are still top 25 and Pitt have to be perfect when a Duke or Clemson aren’t on their best.
thankfully a tough skid here can now get fixed with last run of games.
they should beat Syracuse, Boston College, toss up with NC State, and most likely loss to Wake Forest unless wake is off their game.
there is a chance to get 3 more ACC wins.
Pitt needs to win those games and find a way to get into the ACCT. unfortunately, that will mean another bloodletting against FSU or UVA. They have made nice strides, but making the NCAAT out of the ACC is going to be a tall order no matter how good they are.

Pitt needs to win those games and find a way to get into the ACCT. unfortunately, that will mean another bloodletting against FSU or UVA. They have made nice strides, but making the NCAAT out of the ACC is going to be a tall order no matter how good they are.
One of the biggest issues is how much better other teams are getting. Wake Forest is improving dramatically and recruiting exceptionally well. Miami is getting better and also recruiting better. Notre Dame is absolutely killing it right now. Louisville and NC State are all in the mix Pitt is fighting with. If they get wins in these last games, and somehow take down wake forest, Pitt will be at the very best they have ever been in ACC.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Anyone know what the postponement of Syracuse game was? That was a much needed game to turn around and forget Duke. By not playing and getting a win they inch closer to two very tough games with Wake and a surprising NC State.

Anyone know what the postponement of Syracuse game was? That was a much needed game to turn around and forget Duke. By not playing and getting a win they inch closer to two very tough games with Wake and a surprising NC State.
I assume it was weather.

Played at 11am today. Pitt won 4-2.

ACC projected to get 9 teams in the NCAA Tourney, including 5 teams with top three seeds. Pitt has no good resume wins so they aren’t even in bubble territory.

This guy is top WoSo authority out there and is usually pretty accurate.

They currently have 2 conference wins. Not easy to finish out, and not sure of other ACC team schedules, but UNC, Louisville, NC State, have 3 wins, VT has 2 wins. Pitt must play BC, Wake, and NC State. Two of those would be good resume builders, especially with wake being successful this season and NC State beating Duke recently. Only major issue, no Amanda West, at least what it looks like.

My daughters and I were watching the game. My oldest, who plays soccer eyes were like "WOAHH" when she scored that. She also mentioned the BC goalkeeper.

It’s one of the hardest things to do in soccer. Not only is the bicycle kick hard to execute, but much of the time you can get called for a dangerous play for attempting it. Hers was a “perfect storm” of exactly the necessary factors that enable a player to attempt a legal one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT