ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt wvol beat Duke

3 - 1 and nobody cares if they wear retro uniforms or not, they just win. I don't follow this sport but I am just pleased that Pitt has a team that wins and volleyball fans care little about fashion.
UL and NCS also won, so the 3 remain tied for first at 14-2.

Does anyone know how the tie breakers work?
probably the tied teams would be in a mini-conference and if that is the case, we would be the 3rd seed because we lost to both of the other 2. NCS and UL have to play each other, so one of them will lose at least 1 more match

probably the tied teams would be in a mini-conference and if that is the case, we would be the 3rd seed because we lost to both of the other 2. NCS and UL have to play each other, so one of them will lose at least 1 more match

There is no ACC volleyball tournament. The regular season determines the champion and NCAA automatic bid. Pitt will not get the autobid if the standings hold. The bigger question is do they divide the conference championship 3-ways or just give it to the autobid winner. I could not find anything in any ACC materials that spoke to that.

Pitt is currently #26 in the RPI, one spot behind Louisville which is the highest ranked ACC team in the RPI. No ACC teams are ranked in the most recent AVCA coaches poll (UL has 3 votes which is the lowest in the others receiving votes category). The ACC is not a volleyball conference. Based on the program's history, we should be competing for the title every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: California Panther
There is no ACC volleyball tournament. The regular season determines the champion and NCAA automatic bid. Pitt will not get the autobid if the standings hold. The bigger question is do they divide the conference championship 3-ways or just give it to the autobid winner. I could not find anything in any ACC materials that spoke to that.

Pitt is currently #26 in the RPI, one spot behind Louisville which is the highest ranked ACC team in the RPI. No ACC teams are ranked in the most recent AVCA coaches poll (UL has 3 votes which is the lowest in the others receiving votes category). The ACC is not a volleyball conference. Based on the program's history, we should be competing for the title every year.

Here are the remaining schedules for the 3 teams tied at the top at 14-2, Pitt "seems" to have the softest schedule remaining despite all 4 being on the road, but all 4 of NCSU's games are on the road also, UL has 2 H and 2 A and UL and NCSU must face each other, so someone has to lose there:

PITT 14-2 (remaining teams are 15-49)
at Clem 2-14
at Ga Tech 7-9
at VT 3-13
at UVA 3-13

NCSU 14-2 (remaining teams are 35-29)
at UL 14-2
at ND 9-7
at Duke 8-8
at WF 4-12

UL 14-2 (remaining teams are 37-27)
NCSU 14-2
UNC 11-5
at BC 3-13
at Syr 9-7

Paco I've seen since 2005 started using the reg season where ACC lists 'co champions'. UNC claims co-champions in 2005 and 2008 in their media guide.
The ind schools have some info. ACC itself has crap.

2008 (22-11, 15-5 ACC) - ACC CO-CHAMPIONS

http://static.unc.sidearmsports.com/custompages/16vb/2016-media-guide-web.pdf

Interesting, I wonder if they award multiple trophies as the Big East did. I mean, we claim a regular season ACC wrestling dual meet title that the ACC doesn't recognize, so I wonder how "official" these co-championship claims by teams are. Anyone can hang a banner, but a trophy for the case is a different story.

Sounds like they'll be good for years to come as well...

At the very least, there *should* be very little dropoff next season. Bell and Alex, the two seniors this year, are mainly substitute players. Seman, the libero, and Akeo, the setter, are back, along with everyone important up front in Williams, Nika, and Van Buskirk. Ndee and Lund are only freshmen and are already key contributors on this year's team.

all 4 are on the road, that won't help any?

Well, it's better than beating them at home. The problem is that the team's records are so awful that they are going to hurt our SOS. 7-21, 12-15, 9-18, 7-20. Our SOS right now is 37, after playing four teams like that it's going to be worse, by a good bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT