ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Conner Diagnosed With Hodgkin's Lymphoma, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
I was away but heard the announcement on the Radio and very proud to hear how James is confronting and thanking everyone deciding to Honor his Parents, Teammates, Coaches, University, and Doctors, and stating he will win this personal battle with cancer. Everyone just choked up being proud of this man, his courage, and proud Student, Alumnus, and Athlete at Pitt.

It is also recognized that many other University Fans from Penn State, WVU, and everywhere have come to express their own sentiments and thoughts of success for James and you have to credit their class, grace, and forthright well wishes on the Lair and their own Rival Boards! Competitors on the Grid Iron but Goodwill & Fellowship among all!

Here is the Article & Link:

Three words stung James Conner with an impact more powerful than anything he has endured as a University of Pittsburgh running back. “You have cancer.”

Dr. Stanley M. Marks, deputy director of clinical services for UPMC CancerCenter/University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, told Conner on Thanksgiving morning that he has been diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma. Conner broke the news to teammates Friday before calmly and confidently talking about it at a news conference at Pitt's training facility on the South Side. “I was a little scared,” he said. “But fear is a choice. I choose not to fear cancer. I choose to fight it, and I will beat this thing.”

When university officials called the news conference for early Friday afternoon, speculation arose that Conner, a junior who has missed most of the season with a knee injury, planned to announce whether he was returning to the team next season. He will be back, but it will be with a different mission. “When I take the field with my teammates again and come out of that tunnel, it is going to be up to God,” he said while sitting at a table with Marks, his mother, Kelly Patterson, and coach Pat Narduzzi. Marks is optimistic Conner, 20, can beat cancer after he completes six months of chemotherapy. Marks said treatments will begin Tuesday and will be repeated every two weeks.

“The cure rate is somewhere between 85 and 95 percent,” Marks said. “So very positive. He will be done in six months. There will be some recuperative period, but hopefully, by next season, he will be able to get on the field.” Conner's physical condition will help him tolerate chemotherapy better than most people, Marks said. “The cure rate is high in Hodgkin lymphoma, regardless of your physical status, particularly in younger folks,” he said. Conner noted that Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry, who was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma in December 2014, is playing this season.

Marks said Conner has Stage 2 lymphoma (on a scale of 4) that has taken the form of “significant” tumors in the lymph nodes of his neck and chest. He said the tumors weren't easily identifiable in Conner because he has the large, muscular neck of an athlete. “If you or I had those lumps, we would have noticed them sooner,” Marks said. “We think he has had this for a while, but fortunately, it hasn't advanced beyond Stage 2.” Marks added that Conner received a PET scan Thursday that showed no signs of the cancer spreading. “It's not in any of his organs or bone marrow,” he said.

Conner started noticing symptoms that included sinus issues and a puffy face after lifting weights, Marks said. Conner described the symptoms as rather painless. “He didn't have the stamina he had previously, although he was still working out pretty vigorously,” Marks said. “Typically, with Hodgkin lymphoma, there are some symptoms, fever, night sweats, weight loss. He didn't have any of those, which is a good thing.” Marks said he wants Conner to continue working out and eating a high-protein diet, although he recommended curtailing weightlifting for a few weeks. “If you remain active and work out when you are going through these treatments, you tolerate them better,” Marks said.

In addition to his mother, Conner was accompanied at the news conference by his father, Glen Sr., and two of his brothers, Glen Jr. and Richard. Several teammates also were in attendance. Marks said he planned to ask former Steelers running back Merril Hoge, who has beaten non-Hodgkin lymphoma, to speak to Conner. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, another form of cancer that originates in the lymphatic system, is considered more common than Hodgkin lymphoma, according to the American Cancer Society. “James has been strong throughout the whole process,” Narduzzi said, “and our football team will be strong as well. Cancer started the fight, and James is going to finish it with all of his teammates and coaches involved.”

Conner went so far as to call the situation “a blessing in disguise” because it delays his NFL plans and allows him to rejoin his Pitt teammates next season. Already, Pitt's trainers have gone with him to each of his doctors appointments. “I'm not down at all,” said Conner, who frequently visits area hospitals to bond with sick children. “I know God will never bring me to something that he can't bring me through. “I know there are so many people in the world who were told by their doctors this week that they also have cancer. I want them to know that together we can beat it.”

“I will play football again.”

Not alone

While Hodgkin lymphoma is relatively rare, Pitt running back James Conner is one of several notable sports figures who have battled the disease:

• Mario Lemieux (Penguins), NHL player/owner

• Anthony Rizzo (Cubs), MLB player

• Eric Berry (Chiefs), NFL player

• Flip Saunders (Timberwolves, Pistons, Wizards), NBA coach

• Brian Milne (Penn State, Bengals, Seahawks, Saints), football player

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

LINK:

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/9567939-74/conner-marks-cancer
Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT