ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh sports announcers!!!

Blue Goose

Redshirt
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
newville, pa
Are Paul Steigerwald and Joe Block the worse announcers in the history of Pittsburgh sports??? Or is it just me. cannot stand either of them.....opinons..thanks

Reactions: Big Marty1
They are both bad, but at least you can blame Steigy's place because he's been here for ever. The Pirates went out and decided that Block was the best available option. It's almost as if they treated search for the broadcast booth like their efforts in free agency.

Are Paul Steigerwald and Joe Block the worse announcers in the history of Pittsburgh sports??? Or is it just me. cannot stand either of them.....opinons..thanks
I agree...I don't like Block and I didn't like Nevrette either.Bob Walk working with either one was and is unbearable.Walk is ok with Brown.Inspakowski sucks too....

John Wehner in my opinion is boring, lacks something, just can't pinpoint it. Bob Prince was the best. As far as pirates baseball goes. Yes I am that old

Last edited:
Not a fan of Steigerwald. And I don't think Errey meshes that well with him. Not a fan of that tandem.

Joe Block is ok to me. Not terrible but certainly not good either.

Steigy is Steigy, I guess he is an acquired taste. He has been in his role for so long I don't pay that much attention. I mean, you can't even think the Bill Hillgrove and Dick Groat is acceptable and blast Steigy.

But Joe Block? I thought Tim Neverrette was as vanilla as possible. Joe Block strips the vanilla from the ice cream and it is now just milquetoast. Boring.

I personally think Steigy is really good. Joe Block is horrible. Mike Lange was the best in the business in his younger days.

Block certainly has the worst home-run call I can remember.

"There is goes!" Huh?

Go Pitt.
He has no home run call. You see a ball off the bat that you know is crushed and he is announcing it like it is a fly ball to medium left field. Then after it lands 10 rows up he tells you it is a home run. The guy is really bad IMO.

Sorry, but I cringe when/if the Pens advance to whatever round it is when the local guys lose rights to coverage and it begins exclusively to be NBC. I don't want "homers" necessarily, and i don't mind the nerdy NBC play by play guy (i know many think he's the end all be all; I just find him ok). But I absolutely detest all the other aholes who work with that guy, both at the game and in between periods. They detest the Penguins due to past grudges...one might have been the Bruins coach when Ulf destroyed their star player (?). Or they have Don Cherry syndrome and think the Pens are "whiners". Either way they can't be the slightest bit objective. If listening to unabashed homers is not great, enduring the polar opposite of homers is worse.

Sorry, but I cringe when/if the Pens advance to whatever round it is when the local guys lose rights to coverage and it begins exclusively to be NBC. I don't want "homers" necessarily, and i don't mind the nerdy NBC play by play guy (i know many think he's the end all be all; I just find him ok). But I absolutely detest all the other aholes who work with that guy, both at the game and in between periods. They detest the Penguins due to past grudges...one might have been the Bruins coach when Ulf destroyed their star player (?). Or they have Don Cherry syndrome and think the Pens are "whiners". Either way they can't be the slightest bit objective. If listening to unabashed homers is not great, enduring the polar opposite of homers is worse.

Mike Milbury: Lost in the 1991 Eastern Conf Finals to the Pens and never made it to the Cup.
Keith Jones: Played for the Flyers and Caps. Was a career tough guy, decent player.
Jeremy Roenick: Played in the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals with the Blackhawks. Got swept by the Pens.

I like Jones..........but yeah there is definite reluctance on those guys to praise the Pens.

"Nerdy" Pierre McGuire was an assistant for the Pens in 1991 and 1992 and won two rings. So he should be more indebted.
Edzo also played here, coached here, was fired here, broadcasted here. He generally seems to like the Pens, though he is a Chicago native who played alot of his career with the Hawks.

Uhhhhh Pierre McGuire won a cup here as an assistant coach, highly doubt he has some long standing grudge. Eddie olczyk played here, was a broadcaster here, coached here, and was (probably still is) very good friends with Lemieux... but yeah, both guys hate us.

Never understood why people take such offense to national broadcasters not kissing our feet every chance they get. Do you really care what Jeremy roenick thinks about anything?

Uhhhhh Pierre McGuire won a cup here as an assistant coach, highly doubt he has some long standing grudge. Eddie olczyk played here, was a broadcaster here, coached here, and was (probably still is) very good friends with Lemieux... but yeah, both guys hate us.

Never understood why people take such offense to national broadcasters not kissing our feet every chance they get. Do you really care what Jeremy roenick thinks about anything?
Enjoy em all you want. I'll hold to my totally justified opinion...

I am curious about Mike Lange on the radio however. First, I haven't actually listened to a pens game on the radio this year, assume he is still doing them? But when I most recently heard one, likely last year playoffs, and a few times before that, it sounded oddly detached. Like it was going through a bad phone connection. Could it be that Lange isn't live on the scene at the games because he hasn't been the healthiest? Sorry of this is yet another badly kept secret I wasn't in on...

How I imagine you justified your opinion years ago:

Olczyk: 'oh man I think Crosby got away with a trip there'

Pierre: 'yeah he definitely tripped him up'

You: 'F THEM THEY JUST HATE US FOR NO REASON'
Like I said, worship em as your gods. Couldn't care less. I'll continue to wish they get cancer. Well, maybe not that far... ok, just Milbury :)

The combination of the two is unbearable.

Agree. It is pretty tough to listen to. But in comparison to what many other teams have, they aren't that bad. If you have Sirius, check out some other teams' announcers. Block & Blass are better than at least half.

is it me or do Pittsburgh fans hate every sports announcer that has ever covered a game.. I see these threads a lot and it basically comes down to a lot of you, hating everyone. I can understand not liking someone but some of you talk about these people like it's nails down a chalkboard...

I've listened to and watched thousands of games and never has an announcer sucked so bad that it caused me uncomfort or pain. but some of you talk about this guy or that guy like it hurts you, physically causes you pain. either you are over exaggerating or you should stop watching sports..

is it me or do Pittsburgh fans hate every sports announcer that has ever covered a game.. I see these threads a lot and it basically comes down to a lot of you, hating everyone. I can understand not liking someone but some of you talk about these people like it's nails down a chalkboard...

I've listened to and watched thousands of games and never has an announcer sucked so bad that it caused me uncomfort or pain. but some of you talk about this guy or that guy like it hurts you, physically causes you pain. either you are over exaggerating or you should stop watching sports..
Your opinion is noted ... But If it bothers you to read such complaints so much then why do you read them?

I don't like threads on soccer ... boring dumb game ... or IPA beers... overpriced and pretentious... But its ok with me if others wanna expound on em.

So here if I feel like blaspheming on Doc Everlick or whatever his name is, or admitting in public my shame that I actually kind of like how Penn State's play by play guy calls a game (omg, did i say that aloud?), I'm still gonna.

Your opinion is noted ... But If it bothers you to read such complaints so much then why do you read them?

I don't like threads on soccer ... boring dumb game ... or IPA beers... overpriced and pretentious... But its ok with me if others wanna expound on em.

So here if I feel like blaspheming on Doc Everlick or whatever his name is, or admitting in public my shame that I actually kind of like how Penn State's play by play guy calls a game (omg, did i say that aloud?), I'm still gonna.
IPA's are for people that want to drink beer, that don't like the taste of beer but want to drink beer. it doesn't bother me, I just don't understand how a voice can ruin your sporting experience.

Agree. It is pretty tough to listen to. But in comparison to what many other teams have, they aren't that bad. If you have Sirius, check out some other teams' announcers. Block & Blass are better than at least half.
You're absolutely right. If the pirates had the Cardinals or Reds announcers 162 games a year I'd mute every single game. The Braves guys are also really bad. On the other hand, I do like to listen to the Mets and Giants guys whenever we play against them.

You're absolutely right. If the pirates had the Cardinals or Reds announcers 162 games a year I'd mute every single game. The Braves guys are also really bad. On the other hand, I do like to listen to the Mets and Giants guys whenever we play against them.

Agree on the Giants. I rarely notice announcers unless they're really good or really bad, and those guys are good.

I am curious about Mike Lange on the radio however. First, I haven't actually listened to a pens game on the radio this year, assume he is still doing them? But when I most recently heard one, likely last year playoffs, and a few times before that, it sounded oddly detached. Like it was going through a bad phone connection. Could it be that Lange isn't live on the scene at the games because he hasn't been the healthiest? Sorry of this is yet another badly kept secret I wasn't in on...

He's live on the scene (and he still does the games). But there is absolutely something wrong with the audio on the Penguins radio broadcasts. I was in the car and listened to the third period of the game last Friday and it is so bad that at times it is hard to understand what he's saying because the audio is so muddled. If you have a satellite radio and you listed to other teams' broadcasts none of them have nearly as poor audio as the Penguins games do. And it's been that way for years.

Reactions: paulbl99
Steve Blass is fantastic compared to Block.
Blass is an ass. Complains when fans get upset. Whines. Adds nothing.
I like Joe because he calls the game.
But living in Columbus I have an appreciation of Marty Brennaman. He is smooth and knows the game. Calls a spade a spade.
Also like the Indians announcer on radio because they go solo.
Brownie is among the best there is.
Walk is my fav of all time.

Reactions: pitts-lament
Blass is an ass. Complains when fans get upset. Whines. Adds nothing.
I like Joe because he calls the game.
But living in Columbus I have an appreciation of Marty Brennaman. He is smooth and knows the game. Calls a spade a spade.
Also like the Indians announcer on radio because they go solo.
Brownie is among the best there is.
Walk is my fav of all time.

I mostly agree with you. I think Walk is very good, Brown is good (I wouldn't rate him as highly as you do, but he's good). I think Block is OK, not great, but not bad. Steve Blass passed awful going the wrong direction a few years ago now. It really is time for them to tell him that it's time to move on. The only bad thing about that is that they'd probably hire John Wehner full time, and he's bad. Not Steve Blass level awful, but he's bad.

It's you.

Steigy is the absolute worst. Always needs to tell us what the fans are doing/thinking. Last night he was talking about Bonino and he wasn't on the ice. know he's the Penguins broadcaster but no objectivity at all., amazing how he has a job

I think the "nerdy" NBC announcer referred to earlier is Mike Emrick.

I think the "nerdy" NBC announcer referred to earlier is Mike Emrick.
he's good but he gets that high voice going on EVERY shot to the goal. I mean, some dude will skate across the blue line, dump it in and he gets that Voice raise thing going. No, it doesn't "kill me" but it is a tad over used.. I still enjoy the whole tv viewing experience though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT