ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh wrestling classic

Warriordan

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2001
on the pa team and the local team there is only one Pitt commitment.I just don't get it.

A ton of guys ranked top 10 nationally on PA team. I don’t think I’d say no to any of them. We could use competition in many places.

A few that stand out. Ayden Smith or Louie Gill for 125 and Harer 157/165. Also like Simcox and Consiglio 141/149 maybe add weight to 157.

Reactions: Silkky1982
A ton of guys ranked top 10 nationally on PA team. I don’t think I’d say no to any of them. We could use competition in many places.

A few that stand out. Ayden Smith or Louie Gill for 125 and Harer 157/165. Also like Simcox and Consiglio 141/149 maybe add weight to 157.
Notre Dame GP is less than a hour from Rutgers and Koll is a far bigger name at Central Mountain than Gavin.

Outside of being in the same state Pitt wrestling is just another program the further you go east. They are having to compete with a lot of solid to good programs and there is no hometown draw.

I agree and I’m sure there is specific situation for everyone of these kids. The question of who we want…just about any of these kids. I’m sure we all agree we need more top guys to advance the overall room at Pitt.

Reactions: Silkky1982
Of course no one would say no to any of these kids but high level recruits aren’t going somewhere to add depth. I was more asking what weight classes does Pitt need?

I mentioned the weights. Nothing is guaranteed as far as starting. However I’d put my money on top 10 national ranked kids winning spots. I’m sure Pitt tried to get many of them. You have to keep recruiting the best kids to get better.

125 is by far the biggest need, 184 for after heller graduates next year, and HWT. And the funny thing is is people always talk about how nobody’s gonna come to be a back up well Maybe they beat a starter that we have or if they don’t you never know when somebody gets hurt and they take a medical red shirt while the other guy steps and we don’t lose a beat. That’s what a good program does.

I saw a post that listed Rutgers recruiting list for 2024 and 2025, 7 out of 8 kids are top 20 nationally in their respective weight classes(1 or 2 are from NJ). That’s where I want to be, maybe wishful thinking.

Absolutely agree on both last two posts. Not having solid backup at 285 when Pitzer went down. Seemed to lose a ton of momentum.

We are no where close to PSU level. However they keep recruiting top kids at every weight class. It pushes all kids to get better.

Reactions: jctrack
Nino winning natty and not being top recruit out of high school was a huge step. We need to keep that momentum going. Hopefully we have a few surprises at nationals.

Could help us land a kid like Maddox Shaw from TJ. Victory Heights also can’t come soon enough!

Absolutely agree on both last two posts. Not having solid backup at 285 when Pitzer went down. Seemed to lose a ton of momentum.

We are no where close to PSU level. However they keep recruiting top kids at every weight class. It pushes all kids to get better.
To be fair, no one is anywhere close to PSU right now. They are in a league of their own. I have no idea how they will fit all of those kids in the lineup the next few years, but they always find a way .

Reactions: DevilDog42
PA didn’t have a chance when Consiglio got pinned. Good evening all together. Glad Marion won although not sure how good his competition was I never heard of Birch from NJ

PA didn’t have a chance when Consiglio got pinned. Good evening all together. Glad Marion won although not sure how good his competition was I never heard of Birch from NJ
Birch was a 190lber and didn’t place at NJ States

To be fair, no one is anywhere close to PSU right now. They are in a league of their own. I have no idea how they will fit all of those kids in the lineup the next few years, but they always find a way .
I just read that neither Levi Haines nor Tyler Kaczak wrestled in high school in their last year of high school. Their families moved close to State College and they wrestled at David Taylor’s M2program at the NLWC and in open competitions. Haines finished second at the NCAAs as a freshman and won this year, going undefeated on the season. Kaczak came back through the consolation bouts to finish third as a true freshman.

I know that in sports like women’s soccer, lots of the top girls don’t play for their high school teams but only play for club teams because the competition is better, but to me this is different — and seems way over the line. These guys are not just wrestling against better high school competition; they are training with pros like Zane Retherford and David Taylor (to name just two) and top college wrestlers.

To me this is a bridge too far. The NLWC has to be paying these families to relocate, finding jobs for the parents and likely finding them housing at discount prices. These kids are pros. If the NCAA doesn’t crack down on this — and it apparently has done nothing so far — it might as well be abolished.

I just read that neither Levi Haines nor Tyler Kaczak wrestled in high school in their last year of high school. Their families moved close to State College and they wrestled at David Taylor’s M2program at the NLWC and in open competitions. Haines finished second at the NCAAs as a freshman and won this year, going undefeated on the season. Kaczak came back through the consolation bouts to finish third as a true freshman.

I know that in sports like women’s soccer, lots of the top girls don’t play for their high school teams but only play for club teams because the competition is better, but to me this is different — and seems way over the line. These guys are not just wrestling against better high school competition; they are training with pros like Zane Retherford and David Taylor (to name just two) and top college wrestlers.

To me this is a bridge too far. The NLWC has to be paying these families to relocate, finding jobs for the parents and likely finding them housing at discount prices. These kids are pros. If the NCAA doesn’t crack down on this — and it apparently has done nothing so far — it might as well be abolished.
This may come as a surprise or maybe it won't but many wrestling parents are crazy people. Bo Bassett is the same age as most college freshman but is only going into his junior because his parents held him back twice. There are many families who will do things that may seem extreme to most to help their kids have a leg up in the sport.

With all NIL rules being thrown out by the courts wrestling clubs and can now throw money around openly.

This may come as a surprise or maybe it won't but many wrestling parents are crazy people. Bo Bassett is the same age as most college freshman but is only going into his junior because his parents held him back twice. There are many families who will do things that may seem extreme to most to help their kids have a leg up in the sport.

With all NIL rules being thrown out by the courts wrestling clubs and can now throw money around openly.
You are spot on. I do not think it is a good thing, but you hit the nail right on the head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT