cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
cZb5MDC.jpg
9yDb17e.jpg
g5BzEfm.jpg

Last edited:
1980 beats them both.

I debated putting 1980 on there. Maybe I can. It won't let me change the title or delete the post to start over so hopefully people will figure it out. Which was Pitt's best modern team?

1976 because my buddy old #76 would be leading the way for Dorsett! Without #76 Dorsett would of been just another running back!!!!!!!! I KID,I KID

1980 was the most talented. The FSU game was a weird situation all around. There isn't much you can do to stop Dorsett but having Hugh Green and Rickey Jackson as boxing ends would help.

I take 80 in a close one. They didn't have a dominant back but they did have an offensive line with five NFL players who could at least push for some extra yards against the decent but not all time great 1976 Pitt defense.

I would give 1980 a big edge up front on both sides of the ball.

Turnovers were an issue for the offense that year.

1980 also had Danny Marino, who may not have had great stats that year, but he was still Danny Marino. Randy McMillan was a very competent RB as well. Obviously not Dorsett, but good enough behind that offensive line.

I don't remember why Trocano was the guy for the Gator Bowl.

That defensive line went up against Heisman winner George Rogers and crushed South Carolina. Rogers was pretty much all USCe had that night.

1980 also had Danny Marino, who may not have had great stats that year, but he was still Danny Marino. Randy McMillan was a very competent RB as well. Obviously not Dorsett, but good enough behind that offensive line.

That defensive line went up against Heisman winner George Rogers and crushed South Carolina. Rogers was pretty much all USCe had that night.
Big Mac was a beast and a 1st round draft pick for the Colts, 12th overall. Certainly better than competent.

Reactions: BBrown and BPKY
Big Mac was a beast and a 1st round draft pick for the Colts, 12th overall. Certainly better than competent.

I didn't want to go crazy when comparing him to Dorsett. He was a very good back for Pitt.

'81 defense would give them fits but not sure even they could stop Tony Dorsett. That really would be an incredible matchup but gotta go with '76.

Reactions: vietvet1
Yes, Pitt won at FSU in 1982, I was there and the weather helped. It was tied at halftime, then a deluge of biblical proportions happened and most of the FSU fans left, Pitt pulled away and won in the second half in a half-empty stadium. http://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/19/sports/pitt-winner-by-37-17.html

You people realize the '80 and '82 games are on youtube in their entirety for all to see, right? So you can actually see FSU exposing Pitt's aggressive defense and gashing them up and down the field all game long.

And you know... you may be right about that '82 game. In the video you see when Pitt has the ball the sun come out and dry the field out... then when FSU has the ball a rain storm appears. Holy crap... it rained for BOTH TEAMS. Quit sounding like the Pittsburgh media and come up with excuses for how Pitt wins a sporting contest - be it luck, the weather...

The '82 team beat 4 ranked teams. Only losses came after John Brown (only receiver Marino had who could actually catch - see '82 Cotton Bowl video for proof) was injured.

None of them would stand a chance against the '76 team. Delaney himself would have 4 picks... probably 2 off of Collins stone hands.

I was too young to remember 76 and a very little kid in 80. But there were far more great players on those early 80s teams.

Sure 76 may have had the best single player of them all...and didn’t slip up. But that doesn’t change the answer

1980 was possibly the most talented team ever assembled in college football. They shit the bed one evening at Florida st. that year, but that does not change my opinion. Easily should have been a national title team, and was definitely Pitt's strongest team ever. If there was a playoff as there is now, this team would have dominated the final 4.

Reactions: BPKY and lostnite66

Trocano and Marino both played in the Gator Bowl. I assume Jackie wanted to give Trocano a proper good bye in his last college game -- and he played well, so he stuck with him and mixed in Marino only as a change of pace. If I remember correctly he also used Marino for a quick kick punt situation as well.

They got it done.
Will take Tony to do it in any big game.

One of the best teams in the 70s.

Reactions: vietvet1
1980 was the most talented. The FSU game was a weird situation all around. There isn't much you can do to stop Dorsett but having Hugh Green and Rickey Jackson as boxing ends would help.

I take 80 in a close one. They didn't have a dominant back but they did have an offensive line with five NFL players who could at least push for some extra yards against the decent but not all time great 1976 Pitt defense.
This is going to sound stupid but hear me out. The 76 team not only had Dorsett but had a better QB. I don't say that lightly. Cavanaugh in 76 was better than Marino as a sophomore in 80.

1980 beats them both.

Disagree. The 80 team's two toughest games were 10-2 FSU and 10-2 PSU, they lost by 14 and won by 5

76 team's two best opponents 10-2 UGA and 9-3 ND, they won by 24 and 21 points respectively.

Plus 76 had TD, so of course they win

Reactions: paulbl99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT