• Yes, even if off the bench

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • No, not even if improved physically, take chances in portal

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
Since so many threads get diverted to Hugley, let’s take a poll Pitt fans. Do you want Hugley back?

He is NOT coming back. He is gone. He has no connection with the team for months, his statement in January never mentioned coming back to Pitt, he now has an audition tape out there so schools can see him draining 3's and he knows he wouldn't be starting if he did return which is not okay for him.

Watch for an announcement of him going to the portal soon after Pitt season ends. He's probably waiting to show respect for Capel. Doesn't want to become a distraction for the team and Jeff if he announces while they are competing for an NCAA bid and an ACC Tournament title.

Good luck John.

I don't think it would be a distraction to the team if he announced right now that he isn't coming back. They've done just fine without him and that isn't going to change. I do agree that he isn't coming back. But I think he should focus on his mental well being and health and not on basketball. If a team falls in his lap, see what happens. But forget basketball for at least a little while. What he's dealing with isn't minor or fixable in a few months.

Pitt will be a better team with a healthy John Hugley , I hope he comes back and shows all these negative posters how good he can be with better teammates surrounding him .

Im indifferent. If Capel and company think he can come back and contribute and fit in, then great. If not thats OK too.

I do think Capel learned a valuable lesson in his first few years. And that is you can have all the talent in the world but if you dont buy into the program and fit in with the team culture, then its not going to work out.

I think Duzz does a pretty good job of recruiting team first guys.

Im indifferent. If Capel and company think he can come back and contribute and fit in, then great. If not thats OK too.

I do think Capel learned a valuable lesson in his first few years. And that is you can have all the talent in the world but if you dont buy into the program and fit in with the team culture, then its not going to work out.

I think Duzz does a pretty good job of recruiting team first guys.
Again all this is irrelevant because Hugley is 100% gone. Someone on the pay board said he has it on good authority he's gone. Sure that could be BS but even without that post you can see the writing on the wall with him.

The fact alone that his statement in January made no mention of him returning along with him not being with the team in any capacity at all in months should tell all you need to know about JH moving on.

We are more successful with "team" players not "me" players. It took Capel 5 years to figure that out and we probably got lucky with Mintz going elsewhere, Dior in trouble and hughley being whatever, not on or away from the team to learn this important trait.

On one hand I don’t want to say no without an idea of the 23-24 roster. Now more than ever, nobody can ever be confident of who will return or who will transfer (out and in) or what coaches might leave or anything else. A bird in the band …

But let’s be serious, this guy has already left, he’s gone, he is history. This isn’t even a valid poll for that reason. I think, for reasons above, the coaches would be happy to let him, but he’s double live gonzo. He’s never coming back.

He is the type who could never handle being a role player on a team, anyway. He’d be poison. Next question…

Reactions: PittPoker
If Pitt fans have seen you achieve their definition of success, they will never let go. No matter how overtly the tea leaves read otherwise. Nate Yarnell is a good example of that.

Wow, just wow! A guy who was leading scorer and rebounder in ACC now can only play at mid major? I truley hope if he transfer its to a ACC team. He would destroy Pitt like all the other bigs in the ACC.

You so called fans suck. If you cant see what he would mean to this team if he was healthy I dont know what to tell you. Pitt is getting bullied underneath. FF may play better defense but he cant handle other bigs. They guy yesterday was not 6'11 260 pounds but FF and the twins could do nothing.

I don’t see him coming back. That’s ok, I hope he is successful somewhere else. He seems like a decent kid who needs to get things sorted out. Hard to pass any judgement as I’m still trying to get things sorted out in my 40s, ha.

I’m ok with what we have right now if Fede continues to improve. Would be good to have another bigger guy to back up but the twins have been serviceable in that role.

Reactions: PittPoker
The A10 looks good for him.
How do you know he wasn't forced to leave?
I'm sure if he was forced to leave, then that implies he did something to force that decision. Wtf are u inferring????

Wow, just wow! A guy who was leading scorer and rebounder in ACC now can only play at mid major? I truley hope if he transfer its to a ACC team. He would destroy Pitt like all the other bigs in the ACC.

You so called fans suck. If you cant see what he would mean to this team if he was healthy I dont know what to tell you. Pitt is getting bullied underneath. FF may play better defense but he cant handle other bigs. They guy yesterday was not 6'11 260 pounds but FF and the twins could do nothing.
Hugleys cousin just showed up

So with about 50 votes cast, about 16% want him gone regardless, but that jumps to slightly over half if he doesn’t revert back to at least pre-2022 form. Whether he comes back, is already gone, forced out is a whole different topic, but seems like if healthy and improved, he would have the support of anonymous message board fans.

I agree with some of this. We are losing a ton of guard scoring. I don’t think Hugely would start over Fede anymore but perhaps he could lead a second unit that plays slower and gets the ball into the post. Might be a decent change of pace option and to try and the other teams’ bigs in trouble.

Hugley is the answer to our defensive struggles in the same way that swapping all the lumber out for whiffle ball bats is the answer to the Pirates' offensive woes.

• Haha
Reactions: Drew1208

We need some comic relief on these boards once in a while. Tell us more!

• Haha
Reactions: Drew1208
I agree with some of this. We are losing a ton of guard scoring. I don’t think Hugely would start over Fede anymore but perhaps he could lead a second unit that plays slower and gets the ball into the post. Might be a decent change of pace option and to try and the other teams’ bigs in trouble.
I wouldn't mind having 4 bigs. John is pretty good when healthy. If Blake shapes up a bit, he can play the SF. We end up with lots of size. Takes some pressure off the new backcourt.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
We are more successful with "team" players not "me" players. It took Capel 5 years to figure that out and we probably got lucky with Mintz going elsewhere, Dior in trouble and hughley being whatever, not on or away from the team to learn this important trait.
Totally agree with this. We need more "team" players...like we had in the Howland/Dixon glory years. Emphatic NO for me.

He’d never tolerate not being The Guy. Even though the team stunk when he was The Guy. When it became clear mid 2022 or thereabouts that he was not going to be The Guy any longer, that he’d have to function with a defined role (clean up guy, essentially) in a newly revamped version of the team, that he would be expected to be a guy who plays in a system, he pigged out, he wigged out, and he left. Repeat, he left. He departed. He vamoosed. He exited, stage left. He quit. How many more ways need to be said?

The guy might well perform ok for a different program willing to run everything through him, and not put any accountability on him (on or off court). This seems the only conditions he’d tolerate. How do we know this? Because when he learned of new conditions here, he up and left.

He has some talents, and people can certainly change… but until further evidence is presented, he’s selfish and insecure and intolerant and fragile and entitled. He’s a intriguing documentary subject about the worst of his generation, but he’s a bad player to have on a basketball team…one that finally had a miraculous season of success, but for which continued success is hardly assured for the future, given roster makeup for the coming season is up in the air, and locker room poison (without providing any defense and rebounding) would be harmful.

Wish all the best. Thanks for past efforts. Good luck, unless you play Pitt in some shape or form. Above all, stay above the law and off the government teat.

The A10 looks good for him.

I'm sure if he was forced to leave, then that implies he did something to force that decision. Wtf are u inferring????
I’m not inferring anything - I’m asking a fn question!

Yeah and they getting they ass kicked right now on the boards. You people have no idea what you are talking bout. Young man was the best player on the team a few years ago. Now Pitt has their best year in 7, and its hes a back up. Get over yourselves.

Yeah and they getting they ass kicked right now on the boards. You people have no idea what you are talking bout. Young man was the best player on the team a few years ago. Now Pitt has their best year in 7, and its hes a back up. Get over yourselves.
Where da **** is he then?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT