ADVERTISEMENT

"Possible" bad recuiting news

andypappas

Redshirt
Dec 4, 2009
Ok, don't kill me because many of you don't like Chris Dokish.

Chris just mentioned on his twitter that he has been told Pitt is no longer in the running for Oscar Tshiebwe. It says Coach Capel has been told and it looks like a WVU lock.

Doke also says Kofi Cockburn is now the #1 center target for next season.

Reactions: Pittnerski
If true that sucks. Not because the kid is local but because he is an absolute beast. As many have said he is the best rebounder in his class. He would give us an athletic rim protector & finisher. And it’s difficult to find anyone who plays as hard as this kid.

Reactions: FireballZ
Goes to show what a few successful years will do. The idea that a kid would pick WVU over Pitt is like suggesting to have cheap chicken nuggets over filet mignon.

But now, with the last few years, WVU is probably surpassed us to kids that age.

I don't like this news. lets all get andypappas, it's his fault.
Please dont attack me. I raise the white flag

No more "Bad" news from me. I promise

All kidding aside. Coach Capel isn't going to get everyone. He got a late start with him but there are plenty more fish in the ocean

Reactions: Swervin27
Goes to show what a few successful years will do. The idea that a kid would pick WVU over Pitt is like suggesting to have cheap chicken nuggets over filet mignon.

But now, with the last few years, WVU is probably surpassed us to kids that age.

He grew up in Mali and has been in the USA less than 2 years. I doubt he knew aything at all about Pitt, WVU, and 99% of other college teams before coming here.

Yeah, the chances of getting Kofi are really low, so this is a blow to be eliminated by Oscar.

Yeah, Kofi was always going to be a long shot. I don't think we get him either.

Who are the Plan C, D, and E guys?
Not sure, but at least with Capel, we have a shot at getting Plan A-/B+ guys, as opposed to true C,D and E guys like these:

nix3-JM-900x601.jpg

53509e01176cf.image.jpg
Uchebo_LeClaire_CWL9167.jpg

Reactions: BurghGuy68
It is but there are quite a few big guys left like Igiehon and Qadas Wahab. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Capel will get guys he needs sooner rather than later.
He likely will, but the drop off from these two to reported and likely backup options is steep, beyond Igiehon, who seems like a real longshot, as well.

Reactions: magadog

Chris just mentioned on his twitter that he has been told Pitt is no longer in the running for Oscar Tshiebwe. It says Coach Capel has been told and it looks like a WVU lock.

Well, the news (IF true) may not be great. But as far as the timing, it is certainly better to know sooner rather than later if a sought after player has eliminated you from consideration.

The worst thing in recruiting is to get strung along until very late in the recruiting process and then find a player is going elsewhere. Because you not only don't get that player, but you may well also not get another very talented player due to the timing.

If Pitt is informed they are definitely out of the running for O. T. they'll know they need to focus on others. So they can devote their valuable time and resources elsewhere. If this info that has been Tweeted isn't accurate, that's certainly a different story. It'll be up to Pitt to verify.

Always important to know with certainty where you stand and what your chances are with a particular valued recruiting target. I would expect that HCJC is going to be pretty astute at determining those things and then handling it accordingly.

Reactions: FireballZ
I'm guessing WVU was/is the leader in the clubhouse but not everything he is posted quite right so we will see.

Huggins drinks too much,Huggins cusses too much,Huggins is a terrible dresser,Huggins is way overweight but is a heck of a guy.Seriously Huggs has been on Tshiebwe for two years and Capel came in late.Huggs is worried about the top dogs stealing Oscar away from him,it's a long way untill Nov.

Seriously Huggs is to heavy and doesn't take care of himself.The people down here are worried about him but he's not worried about himself.I hope for 5 more years but who knows?I was there when his defibrillator kicked his ass against Texas,typical Huggins he came out and coached the second half.

Whenever his defibrillator decides it's time. I kid, I kid. I actually like Huggy Bear -- he cracks me up.
i like Huggy too, he's a coach I'd love at pitt, well before we hired JC of course. This is a tough lifestyle on one's health. Stress, living out of hotels, always on road, 70-80 hour weeks, etc. I could very easily see how a college basketball coach can pack on the pounds quickly.

Without question JC is the best recruiting HC Pitt has ever had . Calpari was pretty good as an assistant , but lets not forget that those were the years of the Golden Panther era of Pitt bb ! He won't win every recruiting battle , but he'll win his share . Pitt will have a better roster than we're use to seeing , but it might not happen overnight . Patience is needed and enjoy the process better days are ahead .

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Tshiebwe is a 6'8" center who plays against single A schools on a stacked team. Small forwards are 6'8" now.

He's the best rebounder in high school at the moment. He easily could be a bigger, more athletic DeJuan Blair.

Tshiebwe is a 6'8" center who plays against single A schools on a stacked team. Small forwards are 6'8" now.

Eh... this is nonsense. He is a really good player.

He was my #1 recruit target. But I also understand Capel got a late start and Huggins had an in here so it was an uphill battle.

But there is absolutely no reason to downplay him as a player. Kid is a stud.

He is doing very well.

He sure has done very well according to reports. And most of the very top college programs and coaches are aware of it.

AAU hoops certainly has its flaws and cast of some unsavory characters involved. But it does provide a format to allow college coaches to see top prospects play in games against other top prospects. Because of competitive imbalances that exist in many areas of the country, that's not always possible to evaluate accurately during high school play.

i like Huggy too, he's a coach I'd love at pitt, well before we hired JC of course. This is a tough lifestyle on one's health. Stress, living out of hotels, always on road, 70-80 hour weeks, etc. I could very easily see how a college basketball coach can pack on the pounds quickly.
It's simply about a little discipline and making smart life choices -- for a man of his wealth and being on a collegiate campus surrounded with "smart" people, you think he'd make some lifestyle changes --- clearly he hasn't though. It's kinda sad actually. Wish him the best though.

Not surprising if true. Although Oscar really liked Capel, Huggins has been on him for a long time. Huggs is well liked at Kennedy. That, and with Konate there, Oscar had a favorite for awhile. It's not over till he's signed, but it would be an upset for Capel to overcome what Huggins has established with him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT