ADVERTISEMENT

Post game reactions after first loss

Bethlehemjohn

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
So many of you guys are just a trip to read. Everything is an overreaction. You overreact to blowout wins against bad teams and think we are so good that we should be getting votes in the top 25 and then you overreact to a loss to a very good Florida team by questioning the way the team played and the coaches coached.

Was this team reckless on offense on Wednesday and did they take some bad shots, yes, of course. But was it any different than some of the shots they took and made against Jacksonville? No, not really. Should Capel have reigned them in? Probably not. This team has always run a fine line on what is a good or bad shot. Blake probably made 30 bad shots last year and ones that this fan base marveled over.

As for the defense and the defensive plan, lots of overreaction here too. It was said here that the game plan was all wrong and why did they double in the post and let Florida shoot 3’s? Didn’t they game plan for Florida? Yeah, this stuff is real easy to say after the game, but coming into Friday, Florida was a team who was better at penetration and was only hitting 33% of their 3’s. Well, then, why did we leave Walter so wide open on his 3’s? Well, maybe because he was hitting only 25% of them coming into the game.

If you have watched lots of basketball (and not only our team), I think you can see that our team can be very good. And we will be good and I think we will make the NCAA tourney. But making the tourney is anything but guaranteed. It is also way too early to make any major proclamations about this team after playing 4 bad teams and it is also too early to make any proclamations after one loss where we did not play very well.

Have fun, enjoy the season and don’t get too caught up in how one game plays out. If this team isn’t much different and better by the end of the year, that would be surprising.

So many of you guys are just a trip to read. Everything is an overreaction. You overreact to blowout wins against bad teams and think we are so good that we should be getting votes in the top 25 and then you overreact to a loss to a very good Florida team by questioning the way the team played and the coaches coached.

Was this team reckless on offense on Wednesday and did they take some bad shots, yes, of course. But was it any different than some of the shots they took and made against Jacksonville? No, not really. Should Capel have reigned them in? Probably not. This team has always run a fine line on what is a good or bad shot. Blake probably made 30 bad shots last year and ones that this fan base marveled over.

As for the defense and the defensive plan, lots of overreaction here too. It was said here that the game plan was all wrong and why did they double in the post and let Florida shoot 3’s? Didn’t they game plan for Florida? Yeah, this stuff is real easy to say after the game, but coming into Friday, Florida was a team who was better at penetration and was only hitting 33% of their 3’s. Well, then, why did we leave Walter so wide open on his 3’s? Well, maybe because he was hitting only 25% of them coming into the game.

If you have watched lots of basketball (and not only our team), I think you can see that our team can be very good. And we will be good and I think we will make the NCAA tourney. But making the tourney is anything but guaranteed. It is also way too early to make any major proclamations about this team after playing 4 bad teams and it is also too early to make any proclamations after one loss where we did not play very well.

Have fun, enjoy the season and don’t get too caught up in how one game plays out. If this team isn’t much different and better by the end of the year, that would be surprising.
My sentiments exactly!

I look forward to see this team grow. They are an exciting team to watch - and entertaining. I like that we can play with anyone and any one player can "step up" in a game.

There will be bumps in the road; we won't win them all.

I will enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT