ADVERTISEMENT

Potential OC candidates

McClendon was the playcaller at South Carolina. It’s honestly a pretty similar situation to Pitt with Narduzzi - Will Muschamp is basically “Narduzzi, but from the south.”

Okay - I thought he did, but I just assumed this poster knew something I didn't.

I still wouldn't take him unless he comes with someone who has a good reputation for developing quarterbacks. Not sure if we would have to clear some space for that, though. I thought we were already one under the limit, assistant coach-wise, but maybe that's our recruiting department I'm thinking of.

Last edited:
But streeter did have that experience at Clemson, so that’s why this package of streeeter and McClendon can be very good for us.
Is there any chance what really shakes out is Street only. OC and QB coach?

Would start immediately and my guess, come considerably cheaper.

McClendon was the playcaller at South Carolina. It’s honestly a pretty similar situation to Pitt with Narduzzi - Will Muschamp is basically “Narduzzi, but from the south.”
That’s true. He had one year as a playcaller at S Carolina. They were “ok” offensively. Is that really enough of a selling point for him? This offense is a hard reset. Is this guy qualified to do it? What on his resume would indicate that he is?

Is there any chance what really shakes out is Street only. OC and QB coach?

Would start immediately and my guess, come considerably cheaper.

If I had to pick one or the other I would take Streeter. He's got enough OC experience, played and coached QBs. I think he was a scapegoat at Clemson.

Reactions: gary2
It's probably a little bit of both but the 4 NFL receivers they've had have been pretty impressive from a physical standpoint. You can only run so many routes when you're split out that wide. You better be able to get vertical as a WR in that offense, also you better be able to make the 1st man miss because you're going to have a ton green grass available to you.

I do agree that the system probably over-inflates some value especially at that position. However, at the QB position - I think it's been quite the opposite. I think the system has hurt the development of future NFL QB's. Jordan Palmer said that Bryce Petty played in pretty much the worse offense a QB could in order to be developed for the NFL.

I don't really have a problem with that offense even if it lives in the extremes - WR split wise. I'm the opposite in that I love condensed WR sets because I can access even more grass yet I can get can extra blockers at the point of attack. I can force 9 man quarters front to be a cover 2 front in a hurry and the 4 spokes in the secondary mean nothing vs the interior run.

You and I are saying the same thing, even as it relates to QB.

I fully agree that the V&S hurts you as an NFL prospect to a certain degree.

But that’s because a perfect college offense.

The one poster in this thread arguing how difficult it is to run and how much talent you have to run it, and blah blah blah is wrong.

It’s an offense that doesn’t require a ton of craft. It’s very simple to learn and simple to execute.

But that’s also why you hear these NFL guys saying, “these Veer dudes don’t even know how to play football.”

What makes it such a great college system is the very thing that makes it horrible for the NFL.

If I had to pick one or the other I would take Streeter. He's got enough OC experience, played and coached QBs. I think he was a scapegoat at Clemson.

The offense certainly improved under Streeter if you look at the analytics. It just didn’t jump to an elite level, and started from a really sub-standard point.

So the concern would be:

1. Was he good, even if not elite?

Or

2. Damn near any OC would have seen that kind bounced cat effect to the ranking after the last guy, so is he actually even good?

Last edited:
If he is mediocre or worse, the offense is stagnant for 2 more years before he's fired.
If he excels in his first year, he's gone for a better job after 1 year.
It's a no-win situation for Pitt fans.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Extreme hard pass on McClendon.

There are certain guys you run from for no other reason than the fact that a head coach that hates offense, wanted him.

Pass on Jeremy Pruitt’s guys. Pass on Will Muschamp’s guys.

The red flag with Narduzzi is he’s starting to be grouped into that category. Hiring Will Muschamp’s ex-OC basically just cements that flag.

Reactions: sherepower

There are certain guys you run from for no other reason than the fact that a head coach that hates offense, wanted him.

The red flag with Narduzzi is he’s starting to be grouped into that category. Hiring Will Muschamp’s ex-OC basically just cements that flag.
Isn't he from the Mark Richt tree? I thought his only association to Muschamp was his time South Carolina?

What's interesting is that was he announced in articles as The U's OC last off-season ( https://miamihurricanes.com/news/20...ide-receivers-coach-co-offensive-coordinator/ ) then Georgia came back and I can only assume paid him a ton to remain WRC/PGC so Kirby Smart obviously thinks very, very highly of him. Some of Kirby's guys are starting to have success elsewhere...

Huepe walked into a roster with Hooker, Hyatt, Tillman, Darnell Wright, Mays, Jaylen Wright, etc. He's not replacing those players that have moved on with better players. Not really close.

Like every system, it's dependent on talent. It also puts too much stress on a defense. How many teams have won Nattys with the veer and shoot?

How many 5* talent teams are running the Veer and Shoot?

Hell, there’s only a few OCs that even know how to run it. The Veer guys as of right now keep it a guarded secret. They don’t even do clinics on it.

It makes sense that not a lot of teams run it right now.

Also, Heupel brought in Hooker. Hooker was a bust that struggled to process the game at VT.
The last time anybody saw him he looked like somebody had electros bolted to his testicles on the sideline and was hitting him with full voltage until he gave up the name of the secret agent in the Russian embassy. And if people are being honest, that’s the last time any of us actually thought we’d hear from him again in a meaningful way.

Then he gets in the Veer and lights college football up and all of a sudden he’s this elite talent Heupel lucked into and the Veer can’t survive unless it has greatness like that at QB.

Isn't he from the Mark Richt tree? I thought his only association to Muschamp was his time South Carolina?

What's interesting is that was he announced in articles as The U's OC last off-season ( https://miamihurricanes.com/news/20...ide-receivers-coach-co-offensive-coordinator/ ) then Georgia came back and I can only assume paid him a ton to remain WRC/PGC so Kirby Smart obviously thinks very, very highly of him. Some of Kirby's guys are starting to have success elsewhere...

Yeah, elite recruiters like him as an elite recruiter gun for hire, and give him the title of Co-OC.

But Muschamp was the only guy to actually let him be the OC. I don’t need to know anything else beyond that. Don’t care about anything else beyond that.

This is a Will Muschamp kinda of OC.
A defensive minded head coach whose offensive philosophy is outdated and stuck in a “lets put the game on the back of the defense and win 10-7” mindset.

Who does that also sound like?

Reactions: sherepower
How many 5* talent teams are running the Veer and Shoot?

Hell, there’s only a few OCs that even know how to run it. The Veer guys as of right now keep it a guarded secret. They don’t even do clinics on it.

It makes sense that not a lot of teams run it right now.

Also, Heupel brought in Hooker. Hooker was a bust that struggled to process the game at VT.
The last time anybody saw him he looked like somebody had electros bolted to his testicles on the sideline and was hitting him with full voltage until he gave up the name of the secret agent in the Russian embassy. And if people are being honest, that’s the last time any of us actually thought we’d hear from him again in a meaningful way.

Then he gets in the Veer and lights college football up and all of a sudden he’s this elite talent Heupel lucked into and the Veer can’t survive unless it has greatness like that at QB.
Funny story, but Josh Huepel totally lucked out on Hendon Hooker.
Huepel had absolutely nothing to do with Hendon Hooker landing at Tennessee.

Hooker actually just showed up on Tennessee's doorstep, signed and enrolled while Pruitt's staff was still there hanging in limbo. Hooker initiated contact with Tennessee after leaving Virginia Tech because of his relationship with Jay Graham. After Pruitt's staff was let go in mid January, it was QB coach Chris Weinke that convinced him to stick around and give the new staff a chance.

It worked out great for both, but Huepel didn't initially like Hooker. After Spring ball, Huepel brought in Joe Milton and forced him into starting QB. After it was obvious to everyone during the Pitt game, Milton couldn't cut it, the "injury" gave him an out & Hooker solidified the job. 2 years later, Huepel is still trying to make the Joe Milton experiment work out.

Last edited:

That's crazy. No head coach "hates offense"

Reactions: NCPitt
Noah Hiles dropped some potential OC candidates. Nothing earth shattering. All these candidates have been discussed here:

Andrew Janocko – Chicago Bears QB coach
Joe Moorhead – Akron HC
Mike Shanahan – James Madison OC

Dino Babers – Former HC Syracuse
Sean Lewis – Colorado OC
Brennan Marion – UNLV OC

Chris Beatty – WR coach LA Chargers
Willy Korn – Liberty OC
Dave Warner – Former UTEP OC

I predict it won't be any of these names....
My vote would be for a proven winner. “A seven-time Presidents' Athletic Conference Coach of the Year, the 2012 D3 football.com South Region Coach of the Year and the 2017 American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Region 2 Coach of the Year, Mike Sirianni has led W&J to the postseason in 17 of his 20 seasons, including 11 NCAA playoff appearances. “
Sirianni has compiled a record of 183–44 in 20 seasons as head coach. Wikipedia
Born: 1972 (age 51 years), played Wide receiver and
has forgot more about offense than most of the candidate claim to know! Could easily elevate to HC after Duzz moves on following a successful OC stent. !

The question is what is his offensive philosophy.

Most of his experience is with Mike Bobo( mark richt disciple). After that, you have Kurt Roper( who I’m assuming is David Cutcliffe disciple), who was Muschamp’s OC before McClendon. And you have Moorhead at Oregon.

The question is what is his offensive philosophy.

Most of his experience is with Mike Bobo( mark richt disciple). After that, you have Kurt Roper( who I’m assuming is David Cutcliffe disciple), who was Muschamp’s OC before McClendon. And you have Moorhead at Oregon.
More important than his philosophy, is his ability to adapt to the players he has. At Georgia, you can have a philosophy and recruit to that philosophy but for most programs, you need an OC who can evaluate the current roster and tailor an offense to that personnel.

More important than his philosophy, is his ability to adapt to the players he has. At Georgia, you can have a philosophy and recruit to that philosophy but for most programs, you need an OC who can evaluate the current roster and tailor an offense to that personnel.
Also must wait and see some transfers he'll be bringing in. H2P!!!!

If he is mediocre or worse, the offense is stagnant for 2 more years before he's fired.
If he excels in his first year, he's gone for a better job after 1 year.
It's a no-win situation for Pitt fans.
So your expectation is that we hire an experienced and successful P5 coordinator, who has no interest in getting a promotion after coming to Pitt. I’m sure you are also expecting him to be young and a good recruiter. Maybe he could also be a good QB coach 🤣🤣

Reactions: NCPitt
McClendon has a track record of being bad at South Carolina. His recruiting success will have a hard time now at Pitt. Since recruiting and NIL is about money now.

Willie Korn would be the home run hire after a Cramsey said no thanks.

Last edited:
I don’t particularly buy into that. Most schools don’t run with a one or two year plan. They have a philosophy and they recruit to that philosophy.

Pitts philosophy is we win by defense and it has been that way at Pitt,they need a balance of both offense and defense,the offensive recruiting needs to be worked on

Reactions: Parkview57
Pitts philosophy is we win by defense and it has been that way at Pitt,they need a balance of both offense and defense,the offensive recruiting needs to be worked on
Every team has( at least should) an offensive philosophy and a defensive philosophy. If the HC is successful, then he will marry the two.

I don’t particularly buy into that. Most schools don’t run with a one or two year plan. They have a philosophy and they recruit to that philosophy.
It is fine to have a philosophy but few teams do that every year. Strong Oline and RB you are a running team, you have Pickett for an extra year you push the ball down the field, QB is a better athlete than the last guy and you run a read option.

The best OCs are the guys who can look at the talent they have and build an offense around it.

The best OCs are the guys who can look at the talent they have and build an offense around it.

not really.

the best college systems have a few plays. You aren’t building an offense around a few of those few plays.

The Air Raid is the most successful team to team offensive system over the last 20 years. That offense isn’t about adopting the offense to your personnel.

It’s about having an offense that allows you to basically find anybody and replicate a certain level of success every year.

It’s like the discussion taking place about the Veer and Shoot. That’s an offense of just a few plays. It’s an offense that is designed to let you run it with just about anybody and get a certain baseline level of production. Which is why Tenn. still produced a Top 30 offense even in a down year with objectively bad personnel.

If that isn’t the style of offense being run, the rest is a waste of time.

not really.

the best college systems have a few plays. You aren’t building an offense around a few of those few plays.

The Air Raid is the most successful team to team offensive system over the last 20 years. That offense isn’t about adopting the offense to your personnel.

It’s about having an offense that allows you to basically find anybody and replicate a certain level of success every year.

It’s like the discussion taking place about the Veer and Shoot. That’s an offense of just a few plays. It’s an offense that is designed to let you run it with just about anybody and get a certain baseline level of production. Which is why Tenn. still produced a Top 30 offense even in a down year with objectively bad personnel.

Tennessee found out this year their system is anything but plug and play.

It's a great system to run more offensive plays and pad offensive stats and it allowed the Vols to throttle garbage opponents. If you actually watched Tennessee football this year, you know their offense was bad.

not really.

The air raid is a concept that has been run by a lot of schools but only Mike Leach ran the air raid how you think.

Look at Lincoln Riley's offense with Baker, Hurts, Murray, and now Williams, yes they have similar concepts but they are all a little different in taking into account the strengths of the individual players.

Few offenses are the same year to year or at least personnel to personnel, the best offensive minds take their system and the players they have to work with put together something that works.

The air raid is a concept that has been run by a lot of schools but only Mike Leach ran the air raid how you think.

Look at Lincoln Riley's offense with Baker, Hurts, Murray, and now Williams, yes they have similar concepts but they are all a little different in taking into account the strengths of the individual players.

Few offenses are the same year to year or at least personnel to personnel, the best offensive minds take their system and the players they have to work with put together something that works.
The air raid is a philosophy at this point. No one runs a pure air raid, but a lot of people run versions of it. They’re all really QB-friendly, which goes to your Lincoln Riley example.

I think the reason why Narduzzi doesn’t like running the kind of offenses that are about tempo, and looking to the sideline is because once you go up against the team with superior talent on defense, you can’t scheme up a way to have offense, because your quarterbacks and receivers don’t learn how to make adjustments for themselves (see Pitt vs West Virginia 13-9 ). It makes you very one dimensional. And if you’re a team that thinks that defensively you can slow down the game, you basically just need an offense that can get first downs and score points by sustaining drives. And I think you’re more likely to be able to teach and develop guys into a system that can methodically sustain drives then you are by lucking out and getting a superstar dual threat quarterback. throwing the ball on time from the pocket and anticipating throws is sustainable. But having to make superhero moves has a dual threat quarterback is really a luck component to it.

So your expectation is that we hire an experienced and successful P5 coordinator, who has no interest in getting a promotion after coming to Pitt. I’m sure you are also expecting him to be young and a good recruiter. Maybe he could also be a good QB coach 🤣🤣
That's your moronic interpretation of what I wrote, none of which I stated or implied.

Not really.

No Air Raid OC, regardless of how they run it, have a thick playbook.

Successful OCs are successful because they have a simple college offense that doesn’t require what you’re talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT